Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree66Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Just speak the truth OP. No need to be timid. Most of us here on the forum are die-hard webOS fans but I've seen plenty of apologists from the same pool when it comes to TP. It's like being insulated in this P|C world.

"So it's thicker, heavier, lacks some key features compared to the competition? Who cares! Stop whining and deal with it. Now go away." That's what I'm seeing a lot now. The truth is, step outside this forum and many of the complaints about TP suddenly become very real.

Hopefully, the software issues will be fixed soon (and I mean very soon). But no matter what, in terms of hardware physique, HP can only try better and be up to the market standards in TP2. I will continue to be a fan of webOS. Hoping for a better 2012 product launch.
    Yes, but the specs have been well-known for months. Do the critics here really think HP was playing Trojan horse with Apple et al. and were actually going to release something else? As released, the TP is a great machine with some relatively minor issues, some of which, like serious lag, I haven't seen at all.

I've looked forward to the TP (with the published specs) for months. I bought one. I love it. If I didn't, I'd either return it and wait for the next iteration, or I'd buy an iPad. I certainly wouldn't consider it HP's issue (or anyone else's) that I bought the tablet they've always said they were going to be selling.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by KCTraveler View Post
    I just feel like buying the TP now is buying an inferior product at a slightly over inflated price on the hope and promise that it will be better later. As another thread discussed if it was $50 or $100 cheaper the decision then becomes much easier. But when you price your self in the same class to what is rightly or wrongly considered by most to be the gold standard in tablets, and in many ways they have it more right than they have things wrong overall, it changes the equation.

[Redacted]

But if I had a nickel for every TP review that said the word "potential"...
    This sums up my feelings very well.

A "half-hour system freeze" isn't a "bug," it's a catastrophic failure. If that happened to me--and nothing even remotely close has--I'd be ecchanging the unit promptly, not musing on how it relates to Palm's launch record or how well HP's TouchPad rollout was executed, especially when the vast majority of posts on this site tell a completely different story.
    The 'vast majority of posts on this site' are extremely biased towards WebOS. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that those experiences are lies or invalid, what I'm saying is that when you're looking at a WebOS-central site, you're probably going to get musings on most of the WebOS products.

While exchanging the the tablet would have been a viable and reasonable response and action, I feel as though the Touchpad overall failed to impress me at it's most rudimentary functions.

Am I saying that my benchmarks for liking the Touchpad were the most flexible? No, it's not, and whenever I'm spending a large sum of money on a device, it rarely is. However, I would argue that it was rational.

This is all in my opinion, you're not obliged to agree with me and I can understand why people wouldn't want to. I still want the device, and I may purchase it when it has a little more inertia in the technology scene, with more developer support.

For now, I am happy to own a HP Veer and use it every day. Hopefully HP/Palm can step up their game just a little more to really convince me to purchase a tablet.
    clevin likes this.
    Yes, most posts here will be a bit biased towards webOS and webOS products... it is after all a webOS enthusiasts forum.
    Practical likes this.
    we are glad you are here! The primarh purpose is user-to-user support, and there are lots of friendly members to answer questions as they come up!

...and we can tell your intemtioms are honorable.
    Practical likes this.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Yes, most posts here will be a bit biased towards webOS and webOS products... it is after all a webOS enthusiasts forum.

we are glad you are here! The primarh purpose is user-to-user support, and there are lots of friendly members to answer questions as they come up!

...and we can tell your intemtioms are honorable.

As long as I'm still welcomed here I'm good. I still have my Veer and I still like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Everybody's needs are different. But I had a Galaxy Tab 10.1 for awhile and greatly dislike it. I like the Touchpad better. My list...

1. iPad 2
    2. TouchPad
    3. Blackberry Playbook
    4. All other Android tablets

I think if you put the WebOS software on the iPad 2 hardware, you got a winner.

What specifically was wrong with the Galaxy 10.1, please?

If I had been in a buying mood with cash on hand, I have to say I would not have taken the TouchPad. It took a while to respond to touches, at first I thought they'd disabled it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post

If I had been in a buying mood with cash on hand, I have to say I would not have taken the TouchPad. It took a while to respond to touches, at first I thought they'd disabled it.
    That was probably because it was a crapped-up demo model. The actual device is very fast and smooth.
    If BB allows you return the device as long as original packaging is intact, why not take a device home rather than muck around with a demo unit?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 would have been my last choice based on how the devices felt and worked from my experience. The Galaxy Tab was MUCH less responsive to swipes and gestures than the TouchPad, and even less responsive than the Xoom. The Galaxy tab also felt like it was made of Legos with cheap, cruddy oxidized paint on the back or something. The OS was decidedly slow and while I liked the weight, not much else impressed me about the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    The Galaxy Tab 10.1 would have been my last choice based on how the devices felt and worked from my experience. The Galaxy Tab was MUCH less responsive to swipes and gestures than the TouchPad, and even less responsive than the Xoom. The Galaxy tab also felt like it was made of Legos with cheap, cruddy oxidized paint on the back or something. The OS was decidedly slow and while I liked the weight, not much else impressed me about the device.
    This was my first hand experience, as well very slow and extermely laggy, compared to the iPad2 and the TouchPad (a virtual tie for the best), with the Playbook following in a close 2nd place.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Practical View Post
    Let me preface this post by illustrating my background with phones/gadgets.

I love adopting innovative and new things, and I love the way that HPalm is pushing forward for WebOS. I was an early adopter for Android when it only had 3000 applications on the G1. I now have a Nexus One. I have an iPhone, and I even purchased an HP Veer.

l

You should change your screen name!!!

hahaha
    HPwebOS rocks and haters hate . If you don't like it or want it don't get it and go join the flock . Simple easy mathematics like it or leave it lol . I'm going to continue to use and promote webOS regardless of they hey sayers. Have a good day and do come again .
    I'm going down there again today. I'll see if anything has changed.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I'm a huge webOS fan. I'm still loving my Sprint pre- and I've been reading precentral daily just waiting for the touchpad to be released. I just couldn't wait to get my hands on it for a test drive. (fyi I am new to the forums but have been an avid precentral reader for quite some time.)

I'm not big into homebrew, but love the fact that it exists. But...I have to agree that I don't think the touchpad does well the basic things that it was meant to. At least not yet. I've tested out several display models at three different Best Buy stores and most of them have had some issues and bugs. I couldn't sign into skype. There isn't a way to test the camera without skype. The calander loads slowly. On one model the map app wouldn't load. Some webpages loaded slowly. I was connected to the internet but webOS help would tell me there was no network connection. On one model the box.net app wouldn't load. The touchpad will connect via bluetooth with my pre- and phone calls will work, but no notifications.

I was all set to lay down my $500 but after spending some time with the touchpad I'm just not ready yet.

I too was dissapointed that it was heavier than the iPad2 and Galaxy tab. It did feel lighter than the Zoom which does feel too heavy for me, but it's not a deal-breaker on the touchpad. I really do want a tablet running webos. I love the way my pre handles emails and the touchpad email app looks great.

I've decided to wait till the end of the month to see what updates come out and how much these store displays improve. If some improvements are made it's webOS all the way! I'd be willing to put up with some bugs while they work things out, but the device will need to perform it's basic functions well before I'm ready to take the plunge.

Hurry up HP.....I don't know how much longer I can wait for the Pre3 and an updated touchpad.
    Last edited by dnbernar; 07/06/2011 at 02:04 PM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123