Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    this review pretty much contradicts everything this guy said..
    <<mod delete>>

Last edited by bevcraw; 07/04/2011 at 01:44 PM. Reason: unnecessary
    In my life experiences, when someone starts out a sentence with phrases such as "trust me" or "I want to be honest with you", they are usually lying to you and can't be trusted.
    Well I saw the TouchPad at Best Buy. The TouchPad display model I saw seemed slow in responding to my touches and the design is a little uninspiring for 2011. Galaxy Tab 10.1, also on display, looks better and the screen is responsive.

Maybe there was something wrong with the display model and more testing is needed. But right now Samsung is on my list, even over iPad 2.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    A poster's join date and number of posts have no bearing on their message's content, and the fact that you have nothing to contribute just makes you look like a troll.

Back on topic, I actually agree with some points, but the weight issue is a non starter, at least for me.
    I wholeheartedly agree. The OP made some valid points that concur with many of the "professional' reviewers comments and with my own observations of 3 Touchpads at 2 different stores over the weekend. Drive by "troll" or not it seems to hit a little too close to home on a few points.

Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    You don''t get out enough. This thread right now has the earmarks of a drive by.
    Quote Originally Posted by etx View Post
    This post is clearly a drive by trolling.
    I'm just not that cynical. Everyone has to start at post 1 at some point or another. Certainly if that was my first post I wouldn't be back to follow-up with such a hospitable and welcoming reaction. I am looking for any and all opinions good or bad before I pay good money on a device. Just like the OP "I *want* to like the TouchPad. I *want* to have it on my desk, happily sitting there, charging. I *want* a webOS ecosystem that flows nicely." Troll or not, I think the very valid point is clearly that the Touchpad is not there today and that is disappointing. The question is will it be there in a month, or 6, or year?
    ToddK likes this.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by KCTraveler View Post
    I'm just not that cynical. Everyone has to start at post 1 at some point or another. Certainly if that was my first post I wouldn't be back to follow-up with such a hospitable and welcoming reaction. I am looking for any and all opinions good or bad before I pay good money on a device. Just like the OP "I *want* to like the TouchPad. I *want* to have it on my desk, happily sitting there, charging. I *want* a webOS ecosystem that flows nicely." Troll or not, I think the very valid point is clearly that the Touchpad is not there today and that is disappointing. The question is will it be there in a month, or 6, or year?
    Thanks for understanding my place. I appreciate it.

To all those who are calling me a troll: Do you know what trolling is? Are you aware that if I really wanted to bait you into trolling that it'd be done in some wild fashion?

Thing is, that post wasn't. I was being honest and giving my opinion as a person who loves gadgets. I *like* Android, I *like* iOS, and I want to like WebOS on a tablet Platform.

To the guy who edited my post saying "I love Apple products" or what have you, I have a HP Veer and I'm loving it just fine.

However while I understand that not everyone is going to agree with me, it's absolutely ridiculous to indicate that I'm trying to disturb the peace here. I'm a consumer, wanting to love the Touchpad. And I didn't. Why? Well, look at post one.

Cheers.
    ToddK and Nickhoward like this.
    **Staff Note**

Please stop with the 'troll' comments. If anyone sees a post that is designed to bait user into an argument, or is purely simply posted as 'fail' and does not contribute anything to the discussion, please hit the Report button.

This is a new product, and with any new product we will get new users. Everyone here started off with Post #1, so there is absolutely no reason to give a new member a hard time with using his/her first post to express an opinion.

We return you to your regularly scheduled thread - Thank you!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/04/2011 at 02:09 PM.
    there is a rotation lock in top right menu to stop twirling
    they acknowledge an update is coming w speed optimizations.
    there are updates coming for a lot of these issues with a major one rumored to be coming toward the end of this month. i say stick it out for a bit and hopefully you'll begin to not only like but love your Touchpad. And, well, the extra millimeters and weight i see as largely a non-issue so can't help ya there.
    KCTraveler likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Practical View Post
    Let me preface this post by illustrating my background with phones/gadgets.

I love adopting innovative and new things, and I love the way that HPalm is pushing forward for WebOS. I was an early adopter for Android when it only had 3000 applications on the G1. I now have a Nexus One. I have an iPhone, and I even purchased an HP Veer.

I try to be as fair as possible, I try to be as open as possible about mobile Operating systems and understand a company's place and view.

I will say first that I like my Veer. I like the WebOS operating system. It's clean, it's smooth for the most part.

However when I got my TouchPad, it didn't seem to agree with my logic. Please allow me to express why:

While I understand that some of the internals of the TP is up to snuff (say, the 1.2GHz processor), the system as a whole performs barely at an acceptable rate. I say this, because within the first hours of me having the TouchPad, I experienced the homescreen going from portrait to landscape uncontrollably, unloading cards, and even a full system freeze for a half our. I didn't have any more than 3 cards up at a time and I was very careful on battery life and things that I were actually DOING prior to just calling it a system error.

The way I see it is, I can support a platform form even if it has a small number of applications; That's not a big deal to me and that's not what really makes or breaks it (Though it still does hold its own weight in importance) for me.

What bothers me is that I wanted the tablet to do it's basic functions flawlessly. I wanted to be able to read books on it well, I wanted to be able to go on Facebook cleanly and I wanted it to just work at it's basic core: A tablet.

But that's not what I got. What I got was a premium priced tablet that not only is heavier than the iPad 2 or Galaxy Tab, but *it didn't even function with the things that it came with well.*

And that's what bothers me. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the tablet. Working with the Veer is a dream and it's pretty clean, web browsing is nice as well. However, overall I just can't see a reason to keep the tablet considering the following:

It Physically does not compete with other tablets.
    Out-of-the-box It has problems.
    Lack of Application/Developer support.

I *want* to like the TouchPad. I *want* to have it on my desk, happily sitting there, charging. I *want* a webOS ecosystem that flows nicely.

I just feel like they pushed it far too fast for it's own good, and that makes me a very sad guy.

Thanks for reading,
    Michael
    I agree that HP should have nailed down the basic functions. Having said that, as a self proclaimed early adopter, I sincerely hope you were also critical of the iPhone 4 and iPad launches. The antennae and wifi issues were arguably an even bigger deal than software glitches. If Hp came out with a phone that dropped calls if you held it the wrong way, the public would have crucified them. Let's ensure that we're equally critical of all companies so that they can push put better products. I wish we would have penalized Apple more for the iPone 4 fiasco. That's really inexcusable releasing the product that way, yet it still sold like hotcakes. It sent the wrOng message and reinforced Apple's arrogance that they can do no wrong.
    Last edited by empathyrus; 07/04/2011 at 04:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by empathyrus View Post
    I wish we would have penalized Apple more for the iPone 4 fiasco. That's really inexcusable releasing the product that way, yet it still sold like hotcakes. It sent the wrOng message and reinforced Apple's arrogance that they can do no wrong.
    I did. That incident and Apple's indignant attitude during the entire fiasco turned me off of them for good. It was almost as if Apple was offended the consumer would question their design ethos. Last week I sold my iPhone 4 and bought an HP Veer. I used to be an iPhone early adopter; the iPhone 4 was my last iPhone. I just had to wait until June 2011 to get an upgrade.

I am currently in the process of replacing all of my Apple products. The iPad will be replaced by the TouchPad (which I bought with the money I got selling the iPhone) and I will probably buy an HP thin client to replace the AppleTV.

Apple wants to treat their users as idiots? That's fine. HP will be more than happy to take my money.
    Last edited by bobsentell; 07/04/2011 at 05:15 PM.
    I can appreciate the OP's stated opinion, however, my thorough demo experience has given me significantly different impressions.

That said, I suggest that a re-valuation by all who are interested be made again after the forthcoming OTA GPU optimization update comes.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

grappler and HelloNNNewman like this.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by empathyrus View Post
    I agree that HP should have nailed down the basic functions. Having said that, as a self proclaimed early adopter, I sincerely hope you were also critical of the iPhone 4 and iPad launches. The antennae and wifi issues were arguably an even bigger deal than software glitches. If Hp came out with a phone that dropped calls if you held it the wrong way, the public would have crucified them. Let's ensure that we're equally critical of all companies so that they can push put better products. I wish we would have penalized Apple more for the iPone 4 fiasco. That's really inexcusable releasing the product that way, yet it still sold like hotcakes. It sent the wrOng message and reinforced Apple's arrogance that they can do no wrong.

The iPhone 4 antennae issues were disgusting to say the least. I could cope with the Wi-Fi issues on the iPad seeing as how I had 3G, but I didn't like it either way.

What I want to come across is neither Apple/Android ******, but rather a consumer who spent a rather good amount of money on a device that didn't live up to the expectations and standards of what is generally called a 'good' tablet.

But please believe me when I say, I Really wanted it to work well. I wanted it to be magic for me and I wanted to be happy with my Veer, and my Touchpad and HPlay Sync.
    To OP, I understand you totally, you know, we have here two kind of webOS fans - realistic, and overenthusiastic. First kind sees TouchPad only as one small part in gadget universe filed with various devices. Other kind sees TouchPad as a milestone in webOS universe without looking around.
    Guys--

This is a Touchpad forum. Let's discuss the Touchpad, not your reaction to Apple products.

Thanks for your cooperation.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Well I saw the TouchPad at Best Buy. The TouchPad display model I saw seemed slow in responding to my touches and the design is a little uninspiring for 2011. Galaxy Tab 10.1, also on display, looks better and the screen is responsive.

Maybe there was something wrong with the display model and more testing is needed. But right now Samsung is on my list, even over iPad 2.
    Everybody's needs are different. But I had a Galaxy Tab 10.1 for awhile and greatly dislike it. I like the Touchpad better. My list...

1. iPad 2
    2. TouchPad
    3. Blackberry Playbook
    4. All other Android tablets

I think if you put the WebOS software on the iPad 2 hardware, you got a winner.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    I can appreciate the OP's stated opinion, however, my thorough demo experience has given me significantly different impressions.

That said, I suggest that a re-valuation by all who are interested be made again after the forthcoming OTA GPU optimization update comes.

I am looking forward to the OTA update and have confidence that it will no doubt help the TP experience become more "magical" and less "laggy". I am really on the fence and if I wasn't such a WebOS fan it would unfortunately be a 2 way race between iPad 2 and Samsungs latest and I think the Apple wins that one. I just feel like buying the TP now is buying an inferior product at a slightly over inflated price on the hope and promise that it will be better later. As another thread discussed if it was $50 or $100 cheaper the decision then becomes much easier. But when you price your self in the same class to what is rightly or wrongly considered by most to be the gold standard in tablets, and in many ways they have it more right than they have things wrong overall, it changes the equation. And don't misinterpret that, Apple is on their second (some say heading to their third) version a tablet and has a significant head start, I get that and this is HP's first shot in what I hope is a long battle. I don't expect a completely comparable experience considering Apples head start. And I think HP has succeeded in beating most of the Android tablets out there with their first shot. But if I had a nickel for every TP review that said the word "potential"...

What was your demo experience like LCGuy? It sounds like it was positive.

It is certainly very exciting to see the first homebrew patches start filtering in. They are the reason I still use and enjoy my Pre Plus. I think between HP and HB that the software will get to where it needs to be. It is up to HP to get the base right, I know the HB can get the tweaks right! And I have optimism that the apps will fill in, just how long it will be before they are there. (I'm looking at you Kindle non beta app as well as the no where to be seen or heard Netflix app.) At least HP got the most import app in the world on board, Angry Birds. Seriously if they didn't I'm sure there'd would be an uproar. It is everywhere.
    tp at my bb worked great. If I had the money I would have picked one up then.
    Quote Originally Posted by KCTraveler View Post
    What was your demo experience like LCGuy? It sounds like it was positive.
    Here is my post from Saturday,,,

Scroll to the bottom for pictures!

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Just speak the truth OP. No need to be timid. Most of us here on the forum are die-hard webOS fans but I've seen plenty of apologists from the same pool when it comes to TP. It's like being insulated in this P|C world.

"So it's thicker, heavier, lacks some key features compared to the competition? Who cares! Stop whining and deal with it. Now go away." That's what I'm seeing a lot now. The truth is, step outside this forum and many of the complaints about TP suddenly become very real.

Hopefully, the software issues will be fixed soon (and I mean very soon). But no matter what, in terms of hardware physique, HP can only try better and be up to the market standards in TP2. I will continue to be a fan of webOS. Hoping for a better 2012 product launch.
    KCTraveler likes this.
    A "half-hour system freeze" isn't a "bug," it's a catastrophic failure. If that happened to me--and nothing even remotely close has--I'd be exchanging the unit promptly, not musing on how it relates to Palm's launch record or how well HP's TouchPad rollout was executed, especially when the vast majority of posts on this site tell a completely different story.
    Last edited by grappler; 07/04/2011 at 11:57 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast