Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By VCI_Cell
  • 1 Post By PDAGuy#AC
  1.    #1  
    Just tested out a TP at best buy today. Two things I noticed. 1. No wave bar. 2. The calendar hasn't changed.

I really don't understand the thinking behind leaving out one of the most basic functions of a calendar which is the ability to see the day of the week when entering a new entry / editing an old one. Most calendars have a month view for this function. For some odd ball reason Webos decided to leave it out again (from Pre-) and keep the scrolling wheel selection. Asus Android tablets, Blackberry, ipad all have this. Why would HP decide to leave it out? I just don't get it.
    I agree. That was the first thing I checked out when I got my TP, the calendar. It sucks and hasn't changed one bit.

ET
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Wow - just wow. 2+ years of this and it would seem that none of the programmers at HPalm have been annoyed by this enough THEMSELVES to make this work like PALM OS USED TOO!!!!!! They must not be human - or they are superhuman and know what DAY each DATE is on.
    Kilroy was here.
    Maybe it's just the way I put calendar entries in (tapping the day I want in Month View), but I've never been bothered by this.

That said, this complaint is valid.
    webOS user since 20090606.
    etphoto likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Maybe it's just the way I put calendar entries in (tapping the day I want in Month View), but I've never been bothered by this.

This is also the way that I do it and I too have not had any issues. I also did it this way on PalmOS. (i.e. Month view to see the dates and then tap the day)
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I know its no excuse, but at least for those of us using Google calendar (love the multiple shared calendars!) the TouchPad's browser works just like a desktop browser. Its not the greatest, either, but I find my self using it as well as the Calendar app on the tablet now (and options are good, right?)
    phil71 likes this.
    also quite disapointed that they didnt include the minimonth date select, mainly because I have trouble knowing what day of the week today is let alone a month down the line.
    more important...I need handling of calendar event invitations...

and I assume, that a lot of business-users need that as well
    Since we're all harping on the Calendar, I'll add another annoyance of mine -other platforms are guilty of this too, but old PalmOS did it right:

-why can't I choose a day in the future ("Jump to") and be shown what day of the week is that? Many times, I'll be looking for a weekday far ahead in time and it just makes it that much harder...
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Hopefully we get an advanced calendar patch for the Touchpad soon...
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    This is also the way that I do it and I too have not had any issues. I also did it this way on PalmOS. (i.e. Month view to see the dates and then tap the day)
    I do the same thing. I don't get it? Why do it the other way?
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    I'll add another annoyance of mine -other platforms are guilty of this too.
    Thats incorrect. Some other platform have this function.
    ---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    Hopefully we get an advanced calendar patch for the Touchpad soon...
    Still waiting for that for my Pre 1.

I never knew it was an issue, but thanks for the tip on making the entry in month view. If I decide to use my TouchPad or phone, instead of laptop, I'll know what to do.
    Have you guys used the calendar app on other platforms? Personally, I've "tried" using the app on an Evo and to say the least, I was very happy when I could get back to using my webOS calendar. Yes, I'd prefer Datebk functionality (I do miss my Treo) but I've grown to really enjoy the webOS version. Much like the built in Windows programs, I would have to think that apps like this were always meant to be improved upon by 3rd party developers but alas, no one has really tackled this on webOS.

Same here. I've never seen it as much of an issue. Also, I tend to schedule things based on the date, not on the day of the week.
    Given that calendars are one of the most used apps on a smartphone, its surprising that HP or 3rd parties haven't done more with the webOS version. I think its pretty good, but could be a lot better. I don't think anything has ever topped datebk, but that dev is adamant about not developing for webOS.
    Maybe I'm not doing it right but what I don't like is that you can't move an appointment freely by holding it down and moving it around your calendar to a different day.

Agreed. I've never been bothered by it either but it should be addressed.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!