Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By duesselschorsch
  1.    #1  
    While waiting for a native ssh client for webOS 3.0, I installed shellinabox (http://code.google.com/p/shellinabox) on one of my linux servers.
    I can connect to this with the TouchPad's browser and have a fine shell session with an ssl encrypted connection. And from there I can ssh to anywhere, as normal.

Seems to work really fine with the TouchPad's browser, I'm only missing CTRL, ESC etc. on the virtual keyboard...

Georg

EDIT: fixed the link
    Last edited by duesselschorsch; 07/05/2011 at 12:56 PM.
    knauerhase likes this.
    You're link isnt working. I think it should be: shellinabox - Web based AJAX terminal emulator - Google Project Hosting
    Great idea -- got it set up and going straightaway. But the lack of ctrl and esc is really noticable (can't do either c-x-c-c or M-x kill-emacs, though there are worse things than being stuck there ).

What we really need is (at worst) something like Terminal on the Pre, and (at best) a real SSH client. Anyone?

Rob
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    no esc? makes vi basically unusable...unless the http front-end let's you send them via some click...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    no esc? makes vi basically unusable......

We're probably not supposed to get into religion here, but one could make the argument that vi is basically unusable even with a complete keyboard.

Rob "I know just enough vi to edit the Emacs makefile" Knauerhase
    Quote Originally Posted by knauerhase View Post
    We're probably not supposed to get into religion here, but one could make the argument that vi is basically unusable even with a complete keyboard.

Hey now, I love vi. No ESC kills it
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knauerhase View Post

Didn't anyone teach you to respect your elders? Us old farts grew up on vi.
    the little programming i've done so far has been in nano. Vi confuses me... lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Didn't anyone teach you to respect your elders? Us old farts grew up on vi.
    Who you calling an old fart?

vi is fast, easy, and perfectly functional.... as long as you can press ESC.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    Who you calling an old fart?

vi is fast, easy, and perfectly functional.... as long as you can press ESC.
    If you use vi I'm betting you're over forty...as am I, you old fart!

You don't even need arrow keys for vi! ESC and : are pretty critical though...
    Nope. I'm not Us youngins know the good stuff tho. Some of us at least. Too much stuff is abstracted away for the techies of today... They really don't have a clue what they're doing.