Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By cgardnervt
  • 1 Post By Nickhoward
  • 1 Post By donm527
  1.    #1  
    and sorely disappointed. I'm sorry! I love webOS: I have 2 pre's, homebrew, etc. The largely laggy experience was a huge turn off. It is my opinion that they should have delayed the release until the software was optimized more. However, I disagree with a lot of the negative reviews surrounding the hardware...it feels like a premium device and beats audio (external speakers) is actually really, really, nice! Alas I received my HTC Arrive (Windows Phone 7) and it smokes the touchpad with its single snapdragon cpu. Ya'll can find me at wpcentral where there are a TON of webOS converts. Thanks for the ride it's been fun. --Nick
  2. #2  
    the collective user comments on here and flooding twitter are hugely positive

    the mithbusters would call this plusable
  3. #3  
    Demo units in general are laggy because they are loaded with HP demo software. My unit works just fine. Bye
    MacBook PRO 13" 2011 i5
    TouchPad 16GB
    HP Veer on T-Mobile
  4. #4  
    lmao....OTA will fix it..but jump ship if you really want!
  5. #5  
    the store demo units are VERY laggy. idk if it's the demo app or something else, but those units do not represent the TP very well. my TP is not laggy like the demo unit.

    that said, i will not say that the TP is completely smooth either. when it works, it works well. when it lags it lags. the software on our TPs need optimization and bug fixes. there and lots of rough edges and unfinished functionalities and regressed features.
  6. #6  
    There is no reason for a demo to be laggy then. If the software DOES in fact make the TP laggy then it would be in HP's best interest to not us that software.

    In the Apple stores that I have been to over the past few years I have never seen a laggy iPad. Why? No need for demo software. Just the raw user interface.

    I am not downing the TP but the OP is right. The lag on the user interface may stop some sales sadly. I hope an OTA will fix this. We have heard promises from this from HP/Palm before and they didn't make it happen....On other devices.
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

    Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

    If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
    IcerC likes this.
  7.    #7  
    Not dishing out, not saying your unit is laggy...What I am saying is that when I walk 3 feet to the left the demo iPad is silky smooth, the demo Galaxy Tab is cruising fine, and even the HTC (model ? can't remember). No need to justify your purchases, I'm only going off what Best Buy had to try. But all we've done is wait, wait, and wait. When are they going to get together! I want all the best for webOS! I'm just done waiting...
    IcerC likes this.
  8. #8  
    I went to best buy and compared it to the ipad2 before purchasing. I found the touchpad to be very close in performance. Of course, I knew before hand not to fool with the demo application, because it constantly restarts itself and slows down the machine.

    HP should have known better than to included an app that would hurt the performance of the device they are selling. Sounds like this was the case here. My retail unit does not have these lag issues.
  9. Ulairi's Avatar
    Posts
    276 Posts
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickhoward View Post
    and sorely disappointed. I'm sorry! I love webOS: I have 2 pre's, homebrew, etc. The largely laggy experience was a huge turn off. It is my opinion that they should have delayed the release until the software was optimized more. However, I disagree with a lot of the negative reviews surrounding the hardware...it feels like a premium device and beats audio (external speakers) is actually really, really, nice! Alas I received my HTC Arrive (Windows Phone 7) and it smokes the touchpad with its single snapdragon cpu. Ya'll can find me at wpcentral where there are a TON of webOS converts. Thanks for the ride it's been fun. --Nick
    Cool story, bro.
  10. #10  
    The thing is, as someone else mentioned above, you go to a ipad2 display and most likely what you see is what you get if you were to buy it and take it home... a solidly performing machine with whatever apps they have on it.

    Regardless of demo apps, there are people that have bought and taken them home and still report exeriencing similiar issues like reports of reboots out of nowhere and such.

    for the most part it sounds like a solid product with a list of fixable software bugs.... doesnt sound like any hardware issues which is more important and that's the plus side of HP owned.

    You have to know HP was aware of many of these glitches at release... especially if they have been working on it daily all year. i mean forum people found them the first hours playing. but guess they just felt those were minor to keep from launching July 1st and fix on the fly. they even acknowledged some with writers.

    hopefully the 7/25 updates will take care of many of those issues and once they are i imagine the demo units will consistently run fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I went to best buy and compared it to the ipad2 before purchasing. I found the touchpad to be very close in performance. Of course, I knew before hand not to fool with the demo application, because it constantly restarts itself and slows down the machine.

    HP should have known better than to included an app that would hurt the performance of the device they are selling. Sounds like this was the case here. My retail unit does not have these lag issues.
    KCTraveler likes this.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSFan12 View Post
    lmao....OTA will fix it..but jump ship if you really want!
    I am really close to getting a touchpad but I really am worried about one thing. Do yu really think he ots updates will fix these issues..and if so..wheb. I still use my pre minus.(using it to pist this) and I want peoples opinion..(those who really own the touchpad) if itsworth it.
  12. #12  
    yeah the demo touchpads are generally laggy. Mine works great. You should buy one and try it out. Return it if you dont like it, but you cant tell how awesome a tablet is by using it for 5 minutes. It really is a great tablet, and i havent experienced any lag with it.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickhoward View Post
    Not dishing out, not saying your unit is laggy...What I am saying is that when I walk 3 feet to the left the demo iPad is silky smooth, the demo Galaxy Tab is cruising fine, and even the HTC (model ? can't remember). No need to justify your purchases, I'm only going off what Best Buy had to try. But all we've done is wait, wait, and wait. When are they going to get together! I want all the best for webOS! I'm just done waiting...
    Good for you. Enjoy your Galaxy or whatever you're keeping. If you've decided to not go with a tablet, until they all mature more, enjoy the funds that you kept and use it for a great weekend get-away fund.

    I bought the TouchPad and I know nothing about how the other devices work so I have nothing to compare it with.

    I asked users of other tablet type pads and it seems none of them have banking software that will work with Quicken. Thus, I have no justification for this little beauty and I'll be working on Mint.com and Excel to handle my banking needs. I already have a couple of banking apps for my Pre that I'll work on since nothing appears to provide one entry compatibility to Quicken for tablets or WebOS.
  14. #14  
    1080p video on youtube works without lag while I do other things on my touchpad.

    -Toaster
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    yeah the demo touchpads are generally laggy. Mine works great. You should buy one and try it out. Return it if you dont like it, but you cant tell how awesome a tablet is by using it for 5 minutes. It really is a great tablet, and i havent experienced any lag with it.
    This. ^^ I have been pounding on mine since Friday afternoon and the only time I saw lag is when it was syncing over 80+ apps and my 6 mail accounts. Been an amazing experience so far. Reading on P|C it seems the majority experience is *not* matching Derek's and the other reviewers.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions