Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is really strange, my TouchPad doesn't seem to stream video at all. If I enter some site with wants to stream video (like pogoplug.com, or even the TED app from the catalog), a black window opens with a blinking moon icon in the middle - and then nothing happens. Playing local mp4 files from the internal drive works fine with the standard player, though. Flash videos also work fine.

I already tried deleting all data and doctoring the device (btw. - where can one get the original ringtones and backgrounds back?) - it didn't help.
    I remember something similar from the first versions of WebOS on my Pre, but don't remember how it was cured...

Any ideas?

Georg
    Quote Originally Posted by duesselschorsch View Post
    This is really strange, my TouchPad doesn't seem to stream video at all. If I enter some site with wants to stream video (like pogoplug.com, or even the TED app from the catalog), a black window opens with a blinking moon icon in the middle - and then nothing happens. Playing local mp4 files from the internal drive works fine with the standard player, though. Flash videos also work fine.

I already tried deleting all data and doctoring the device (btw. - where can one get the original ringtones and backgrounds back?) - it didn't help.
    I remember something similar from the first versions of WebOS on my Pre, but don't remember how it was cured...

Any ideas?

Georg
    I'm getting everything except Netfix on mine. hulu, Amazon Premier, YouTube. To get videos that aren't flash, like Netfix, I'm using Playon. Actually Playon allows all my video to look better, including my avi videos.
    This is probably because of HTML5.

Most sites (including youtube) will often have two videos ready to play: one HTML5 one, and one flash one.

By default, it goes to HTML5 video - which currently does not support video streaming.

If you went to a flash-only site, you should see video streaming working.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
  4.    #4  
    Ok, so I'm at least not the only one - I thought I had done something wrong, configured my firewall incorrectly or something like that...

Thanks

Georg
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    playing seems pretty nice. How does it work with the TP? Flash?
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    I'm getting everything except Netfix on mine. hulu, Amazon Premier, YouTube. To get videos that aren't flash, like Netfix, I'm using Playon. Actually Playon allows all my video to look better, including my avi videos.
    How are you using Playon on the TouchPad?
    Ok, so I'm at least not the only one - I thought I had done something wrong, configured my firewall incorrectly or something like that...

Thanks

Georg
    blame apple for forcing an unfinished technology down people's throats ;-)
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter

Thanks

Georg
    ive been able to watch hulu.com although sometimes it takes a while to load and I tend to reboot pretty often. Have you tried hulu and youtube?

also, is there any chance your firwall is blocking video (like at work?)
  9.    #9  
    Well, hulu.com won't work in Germany, youtube works but only using Flash, m.youtube.com won't work, the empty window with the moon appears and nothing happens. Same if I want to watch a TED video using the TED app.

I don't really think the firewall is blocking something, I set it up myself and it works with all other devices (like Palm Pre, some Android device, an iPad) where I never had problems watching video. But I will try from another network later.
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    How are you using Playon on the TouchPad?
    okay, I googled it

PlayOn - who knew?

Works great! So Playon will keep Hulu working even if they block it in a direct browser?

Anyway, Netflix works really well - thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    okay, I googled it

PlayOn - who knew?

Works great! So Playon will keep Hulu working even if they block it in a direct browser?

Anyway, Netflix works really well - thanks!
    Sorry about not getting back to you quick enough. Isn't the screen awesome and you can use it for all of your video viewing, including your own avi files on your desktop. I'm flabbergasted by how awesome it is. You can make an icon for the website and use it instead bouncing to the various sites for your video fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    You can make an icon for the website and use it instead bouncing to the various sites for your video fix.
    I've been trying to figure out how to set an icon for a website on the launcher (ever since I figured out how to get a website onto the launcher).

How do you do THAT, now?
    +1 vote for Hulu and YouTube, while Netflix also a cool app to stream videos, yeah, the problem might bcz flash, you could check the flash plug-in module installed right, or HTML 5 support.
  14.    #14  
    Hmm. I have to ask again: If you take e.g the TED app for the TouchPad and click on any video in it, will it play?
    If it does for you (for me it doesn't, only the empty window with the moon appears): might this be some old setting from my Palm profile with its Pre (1.4.5) data?

Georg
    I can report that I was able to watch videos in the TED app for the TouchPad. When I tap the "Watch" button, a new card opens and streams the video. If it matters, I am located in the USA.

I have to say that looking at the previous version of the TED app for webOS (for the phones) the TouchPad version is a step backwards. That nice opening tiled screen is gone, and the ability to search by tags and topics, or any kind of search, is gone. The list of TED fellows only gets as far as the B's, then it won't scroll anymore.

I downloaded the TED app after reading the glowing review in Pivot, but it was soon obvious to me that they were describing the old version (which, BTW, doesn't work on the TouchPad). Does anyone else feel disappointed with the new TED app?
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    This is probably because of HTML5.

Most sites (including youtube) will often have two videos ready to play: one HTML5 one, and one flash one.

By default, it goes to HTML5 video - which currently does not support video streaming.

If you went to a flash-only site, you should see video streaming working.
    <<mod edit>> real time streaming protocol — devices like the iPad, Android phones, etc. all support live streaming through HTML5.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/11/2011 at 12:58 AM. Reason: unnecessary - rude
    Hmm. I have to ask again: If you take e.g the TED app for the TouchPad and click on any video in it, will it play?
    If it does for you (for me it doesn't, only the empty window with the moon appears): might this be some old setting from my Palm profile with its Pre (1.4.5) data?

Georg
    I am also from Germany and can't watch any streaming video (Auto, Motor, Sport; TED or Downloads from the Web). Do you have any solution?

Ralf
    I opened TED for Pre on the tablet and it opened in a small window, when I chose a video, it streamed in an entire screen. When I opened another card, the Ted video paused (a TED podcast though continues streaming). I am in the US.
    I did not see a Ted HD app in the catalog.
    Last edited by bluenote; 07/10/2011 at 08:31 AM.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by oida View Post
    I am also from Germany and can't watch any streaming video
    I just set the language on my TouchPad to English/US, now the TED videos play fine and others seem to work, too. Perhaps someone at HP has translated some Javascript to German, accidentally?
    some youtube vids dont work for me, a second window opens and does not play. Others play fine in first window.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast