Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1.    #1  
    So... I am slightly disappointed about this one part of the TouchPad. I love the tablet, don't get me wrong.... but the volume is not there for music or video.

I have a Motorola XOOM and a Pre 2, and they are both approximately DOUBLE (yes, double) the volume in music. I can put in my headphones at full volume and still hear my finger lightly snap and hear people whisper. In my car stereo, I have to MAX OUT the volume in order to get the same results that my Pre 2 and my XOOM would get in half the volume setting on my car stereo.

Is it just my unit? Or is everyone else experiencing this? The sound quality is great.... but I can't get it to be near loud enough for me to enjoy. I can have a regular conversation over the loudest volume from any speaker/stereo/headphopnes I have. (I have Bose headphones for jazz, and Monster Turbines for Rock/Pop/Hip-Hop/Reggaeton, so I have variety. I also have a Bose speaker and a Panassonic Surround sound system. My car has aftermarket speakers, which are pretty good)

I use my tablet a lot for music. And the volume on the TouchPad just doesn't cut it. I was excited about the "beats audio" but when I have to turn the stereo up so high that I can hear the white noise of the speaker in order to hear the music at a decent volume, I'm not sure I like it.

Anyone else have this issue?

EDIT:

HERE IS THE VIDEO THAT I MADE SHOWING THE VOLUME.

Last edited by estebancam; 07/04/2011 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Added link for video.
    Midway99 likes this.
    I was saying this earlier to my sis. I use a pretty decent pair of headphones (Klipsch Image S4) and it is definitely not those. Its ok though I need to stop blasting my music anyways.
    Please license webOS!! I will gladly take back this new iPad 2.
  3.    #3  
    But it's not even that I want to blast it.... I just want some decent volume. There is no volume. I lower the touchpad's volume to halfway and I already can't hear the music at all!
    ive never even considered a tablet for music until the touchpad. I usednit today while working on my car. I'm not so sure amping the sound would ensure beats audio quality. Maybe why the XOOM quality isnt as good? It was loud enough for me, minus the air compressor turning on. Did you try turning beats off then see If the volume would increase more?
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    The audio quality is unbeatable but the volume can go that high. For most it will be high enough though.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    okay I tried again. 50% IS a little toooooooooooo low. I think the volume percentages are screwed up. Maybe Someone can patch that
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    But it's not even that I want to blast it.... I just want some decent volume. There is no volume. I lower the touchpad's volume to halfway and I already can't hear the music at all!
    True. And the volume is even lower when using the streaming radio apps. Like iheartradio, which I am happy is in the app catalog by the way.
    Please license webOS!! I will gladly take back this new iPad 2.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    The audio quality is unbeatable but the volume can go that high. For most it will be high enough though.
    the quality is good. But honestly, not THAT much better than on the pre 2 or xoom.

Quote Originally Posted by nightdevil21 View Post
    ive never even considered a tablet for music until the touchpad. I usednit today while working on my car. I'm not so sure amping the sound would ensure beats audio quality. Maybe why the XOOM quality isnt as good? It was loud enough for me, minus the air compressor turning on. Did you try turning beats off then see If the volume would increase more?
    xoom quality is good also, although touchpad is better. I think i would much rather live with a higher volume at good quality than volume i can whisper over and great quality. I mean, i can hardly hear the music anyway!
  9.    #9  
    can this be fixed through software? Or is it just a hardware thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    can this be fixed through software? Or is it just a hardware thing?
    hardware, you could juice the speakers up and make them louder but they would break.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    If you are saying that the TP sound quality is the same as your Pre2, then something is definitely wrong. You should be hearing great sound from your TP! You should be hearing a much wider range of frequencies (especially lower end EQ) from your TP. If you are not, then definitely call HP for help. As far as volume, it should be louder than your Pre2.
    Quote Originally Posted by PimpinJay71 View Post
    True. And the volume is even lower when using the streaming radio apps. Like iheartradio, which I am happy is in the app catalog by the way.
    I agree with all of this. The volume seems variable and not loud enough overall. Seems like a software issue to me.
    Volume is adequate for iheartradio. The sound QUALITY is excellent, crisp highs and a sharp bass for such TINY speakers. When I use headphones, there is ZERO hiss or static.
    it has been mentioned in a few of the first reviews... the beats audio is good... but was noted that the max volume was not as high as say a xoom or ipad2.

can only guess the limit was on purpose? quality would deteriorate if it got any louder?

i think it was mentioned by a user here that you wanna use headsets to really appreciate the beats audio.

Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    I agree with all of this. The volume seems variable and not loud enough overall. Seems like a software issue to me.
    I gotta say, when it works, it friggin works. Right now I'm listening to The Shins' "Wincing the Night Away," one of my favorite records of the past few years, and also one of the best-sounding. It sounds just amazing on this thing thru the speakers. I'm careful to web-surf upside-down so the speakers face up. (So that's what Russell Brand was up to!)
    The Touchpad definitely needs more volume.
    I agree that the sound quality is excellent, but the sound maximum volume isn't loud enough.

I wish the TP would allow MUCH louder volume but have something in the Settings apps to set a maximum volume (i.e. to "ratchet it down" if desired). This is what the iPod Nano used to do.
  18.    #18  
    So it does seem as if the volume just isn't loud enough. I really hope this is a software issue so that they could update and make it have more volume. I really need louder music.

I honestly can't believe I am using my Pre 2 for music instead of the TouchPad. That's a shame.
    Geez. this is a tablet, not a full blown PC.. let's be realistic here.

Beats uses 24 bit sound to provide a much higher definition sound quality to you, but, that takes CPU power.. how much more do you want this device to do?

If you want real audio power, purchase a Beats heeadset, or good set of self powered amplified speakers, or buy an HP laptop/desktop PC with Beats on it an whale away.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Some of you guys are saying that your Pre2 sounds better/louder than the TouchPad. That's certainly not my experience. If it's really true, you need to take it back immediately for a replacement. You should absolutely be able to tell the difference! I do -- the TP sounds great! Now, I don't expect it to be a boom box (just dated myself!). It's a tablet. The volume level is meant for a personal experience.

My wife has an iPad2. I can't say it is any lounder than the TouchPad.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast