Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    I'm kinda surprised to hear this. The max volume on my touchpad seems louder than I would ever want it to be. It's even loud enough to use in the car. I never listen to it at max volume even on the streaming radio apps.
    Just throwing in my two cents. My wife bought a inexpensive pair of Coby headsets (in ear and full ear cover type) that worked fantastic with my TouchPad. I referenced previously trying all the demo headset at my local Best Buy to see which unit performed the best. I only found one Beats Audio headsets that I found usable and would purchase at the low price of $250+ for this tech advancement.

Either way, the inexpensive Coby headset pair actually was louder then the Beats Audio, Bose, or otherwise selling for a premium at Best Buy and for me that is more important when traveling on the road or by airplane. Not sure why the Coby headsets worked so well, they don't have noise cancellation, and maybe this is the reason my TouchPad is having so much problems with these high-end headset units. You got me, Sorli...
    I agree that the volume is too quiet for the Tablet. I'm pretty sure it's a software thing because certain games, etc. run at a fairly decent volume, but movies and music can be on the quieter side. I think they need to raise the volume by about 20 percent.
    I completely agree that there is some sort of issue with the volume under certain circumstances. Pandora volume is great but most youtube videos are barely audible even with the volume all the way up on both the Touchpad and the youtube page. I just downloaded a movie preview from the HP Movie Store and with the volume all the way up I can barely hear it. This is true with and without headphones.
    I think it is something to do with the web. I played Pandora in my classroom and everyone could hear (Sinatra). I tried playing the Giants game (gameday audio) in my living room and nobody could hear.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Just to let everyone know, I've been looking into this because I use Amazon Cloud Player, and would love to make the touchpad the driver for parties (through external speakers, of course), but it was just a bit too quiet, even with volume on the external speakers and tp maxed.

So, looking through this thread, thanks to samab I found this: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ced-users.html

Hooked up novaterm and gave it a shot, and sure enough, 'amixer set "AIF1 Boost" 3' makes a *HUGE* difference. Even setting it to 2 is a large enough difference that suddenly the TP is a capable party driver.

I've never done a patch before, does anyone know how whether an installable patch can mount the filesystem rw and drop that command into /etc/init.d so that it happens on startup?
    rumz likes this.
    so far, this is my only gripe. The volume thing does seem to vary depending what you're using. My earbuds are loud enough but my nice sony headphones are to quiet a slight increase in volume would be good, otherwise, I love this thing
    Last edited by mslavko; 07/20/2011 at 04:18 PM.
    Got me but it's good to know it can be boosted.. the volume. I don't know anything about Novaterm so I hope someone writes a quick patch for it. I'm sure it would be most appreciated. Or even an App.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    *** This is out of date, please see http://forums.precentral.net/webos-h...ad-volume.html for the packaged version ***

the script I'm currently using is extremely simple and uses event.d to do what it has to do after webOS starts up completely:

Code:
    rootfs_open -t
    file=/var/palm/event.d/increase_volume.sh
    echo "# The following will set your boost to 3 on startup after webOS" > $file
    echo "# loads fully. I take no responsibility for any damage which might" >> $file
    echo "# occur to your touchpad for using this." >> $file
    echo "start on stopped finish" >> $file
    echo "stop on runlevel [!2]" >> $file
    echo "pre-start script" >> $file
    echo "    amixer set 'AIF1 Boost' 2" >> $file
    echo "end script" >> $file
    chmod +x $file
    shutdown -r now
    If you have novaterm set up and your device in developer mode you can just drop the commands into the terminal.

Change it to 3 if you dare, but 2 is plenty loud for me.

(Used info from lighttpd to make this script, original info here)

Currently asking around for info on how to patchify it.
    Last edited by pigsflew; 07/29/2011 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Developer Forum thread is open
    runawayq likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by pigsflew View Post
    the script I'm currently using is extremely simple and uses event.d to do what it has to do after webOS starts up completely:

Code:
    rootfs_open -t
    echo "# The following will set your boost to 3 on startup after webOS" > /etc/event.d/increase_volume.sh
    echo "# loads fully. I take no responsibility for any damage which might" >> /etc/event.d/increase_volume.sh
    echo "# occur to your touchpad for using this." >> /etc/event.d/increase_volume.sh
    echo "start on stopped finish" >> /etc/event.d/increase_volume.sh
    echo "stop on runlevel [!2]" >> /etc/event.d/increase_volume.sh
    echo "pre-start script" >> /etc/event.d/increase_volume.sh
    echo "    amixer set 'AIF1 Boost' 2" >> /etc/event.d/increase_volume.sh
    echo "end script" >> /etc/event.d/increase_volume.sh
    chmod +x /etc/event.d/increase_volume.sh
    shutdown -r now
    If you have novaterm set up and your device in developer mode you can just drop the commands into the terminal.

Change it to 3 if you dare, but 2 is plenty loud for me.

(Used info from lighttpd to make this script, original info here)

I'm taking for granted this takes effect and stays after reboot...since your script auto rebooted things anyways? Either way, thanks! Sorli...
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Yes, it'll stay after reboot--it's being put into /var/palm/event.d to be applied at every boot. Stay tuned, I'm submitting a patch to webos-internals now.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I've submitted the patch, waiting on approval from webos-internals and then people should be able to install it via preware.

At least, that's how I assume it works. I've never done this before
  13.    #73  
    I've submitted the patch, waiting on approval from webos-internals and then people should be able to install it via preware.

wow THANKS! This will make my touchpad experience so much better if it works.

Dude you are the man!!!

Thank you SO much! I'm looking forward to this patch.
    It was the first thing i noticed on my TP as well, i thought its hardware problem, so i used that Live chat function from the tp, the one you access from the help feature. I talked to Jack
    Jacks first question was if im a hp employee(interesting)
    He took me thru the self diagnostics of the device, i told him that i would have expected louder music coming from the beats audio.
    I told him i pop in to a store to compare it to a demo unit. thats about it.
    He asked me to let him know the differences.
    I noticed this as well with NON in-ear headphones... in-ear headphones they are loud enough with excellent quality.

Weird thing is the speakers sound very loud. Can't wait till the patch comes out. Please update this thread when it gets released!
    This post is of my personal opinion and not that of my employer, its affiliates, or related partners.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bb147 View Post
    I noticed this as well with NON in-ear headphones... in-ear headphones they are loud enough with excellent quality.

Weird thing is the speakers sound very loud. Can't wait till the patch comes out. Please update this thread when it gets released!
    Will do!
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    An update: My patch was rejected due to an issue problem with the way I put it together. I'll fix it and resubmit today. No worries, the actual script it creates wasn't the problem, it's just the creation mechanism.

As I said, I'm still learning :/
    An update: My patch was rejected due to an issue problem with the way I put it together. I'll fix it and resubmit today. No worries, the actual script it creates wasn't the problem, it's just the creation mechanism.

As I said, I'm still learning :/
    Thanks for the insight, script, and patch update on the way. Either way, the patch would make things much easier and since I ran your original script by hand via Novaterm...can this be backed out to apply the auto patch?

Thanks and the original script has fixed my problem. Sorli...
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast