Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Codec is far more manageable and requires app to utilize all its possibilities. There is option to set headphone amplifier volume limits, to map volume keys to digital amplifier, set conversion quality optimizations etc.
    I had not tried the touchpad's headset jack until I read this thread, tried a few different songs and at max volume is very much on par with my portable MP3 players(Sandisk), perhaps 10-15% softer than them on max volume (which I rarely have them at). This is with rock/metal music. Loud enough to drown out everything else around me at least.

Some songs are softer than others, but for the most part the songs I have are quite loud.

I am using basic panasonic earbuds.

The volume on the touchpad speakers is very adequate for me as well, though I haven't tried it in any noisy areas.

I have never touched an android tablet, and have maybe 5 minutes experience with ipad (which was over a year ago). I'm happy with the audio.

I'll be honest I can't really tell much difference in audio quality(beats audio) I am not an audiophile(though I have used the app, don't like how it cuts out when the screen lock kicks in), it certainly sounds good, but so does pretty much anything to me (I have no problem with 96kbps MP3s for example).
    I just received my TouchPad today and was curious how the volume would be after reading this thread. The two headphones I use is a set Sony noise cancelling earbuds that plug into the headphone jack (I use these for flying) and the Platronics 903 Bluetooth full function (phone and music) earbuds set. Let me start out saying that I can never play my Pre at full volume with either of these so while the output volume is lower on my TouchPad it still plays plenty loud on both headsets. Also, an added feature of the Plantronics 903 is that it has an amplified volume control. I have Altec Lansing ipod type player that is connected to stereo system and volume is definitely not a problem with that setup.
    I noticed the volume sucked right away as well. HP, please fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I just received my TouchPad today and was curious how the volume would be after reading this thread. The two headphones I use is a set Sony noise cancelling earbuds that plug into the headphone jack (I use these for flying) and the Platronics 903 Bluetooth full function (phone and music) earbuds set. Let me start out saying that I can never play my Pre at full volume with either of these so while the output volume is lower on my TouchPad it still plays plenty loud on both headsets. Also, an added feature of the Plantronics 903 is that it has an amplified volume control. I have Altec Lansing ipod type player that is connected to stereo system and volume is definitely not a problem with that setup.
    yeah but the higher volume required will drain the battery more
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    yeah good way to put it. I am never able to handle my pre 2 at dull volume, it just gets too loud. But the touchpad i am fully comfortable listening to at full volume.
    thats weird. I thought the sound was plenty loud enough. Used my touchpad for music all day yesterday... I was doing some construction and then had a barbecue. My bro was very confused as to where the music was coming from until I showed him this sitting next to the grill. I can also hear it well in the f550 I drive for work... Louder then my current phone even if I use the bluetooth or earbuds for the phone. It is TOO loud for me at max if I'm actually holding it. Maybe some units are inferior?

as an unrelated note, after 8 hours at full volume music playback I still had over 50% battery power?
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Yeah-- I'd say full volume on my TouchPad = roughly 60-70% volume on my iPad (1st gen)-- really pretty soft when listening to music with higher dynamic range (film scores and orchestral recordings). I certainly won't be able to listen to those (using Sony EX500 earphones) on an airplane. But if the environment is quiet, might be ok.

However, Beats Audio sounds too DSP-ish to me. Too processed. Highs sound detailed and the overall sound is warmer (bass), but the mids suffer (female vocals, for example, are missing something. They just don't satisfy on the TouchPad).
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    yeah but the higher volume required will drain the battery more
    Battery issues are nonexistent with my Touchpad, so if I have turn the volume a little higher on my TouchPad to get a satisfying sound, it is not a concern of mine.
    I have to agree that the output volume of the TP is quite low. I tend to use both my Pre, and the Touch Pad to listen to mixes of music I am producing while I travel. btw, I have noticed that the volume is low in the pro audio headphones I use (Beyer Dynamics DT 770 Pros) as well. It would be nice to see a patch that boosts volume. P.S. If there are developers out there listening, I would be really glad to hear about any music production apps in development.
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    ... the volume is not there for music or video.
    I totally agree, I just posted similar remarks in another thread where I commented that the TouchPad at Max volume is equal to about 60% volume on my blackberry and iPod, where I was comparing several different headphones including my Bose QC2 headphones.

The TouchPad needs its max volume increased.
    estebancam likes this.
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Downtime500 View Post
    I totally agree, I just posted similar remarks in another thread where I commented that the TouchPad at Max volume is equal to about 60% volume on my blackberry and iPod, where I was comparing several different headphones including my Bose QC2 headphones.

The TouchPad needs its max volume increased.
    i really hope that hp is realizing tis because its going to be important to a lot of people. And I really hope that its going to be a software fix.
    i had to buy Beats headphones because of this.
    I just tried to watch a movie using my touchpad on an airplane with Bose noise cancelling headphones. Much of the dialog was too soft to hear, even with noise cancellation active. This needs to be fixed!
    Maybe there is few headset compatibility issue as you encountered,but mostly others are ok for this case...
    I know there are some significant differences between headphones, and consumer grade headphones. Having the ability through a patch, to boost the volume would give me the best of both worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by mapenn View Post
    Some of you guys are saying that your Pre2 sounds better/louder than the TouchPad. That's certainly not my experience. If it's really true, you need to take it back immediately for a replacement. You should absolutely be able to tell the difference! I do -- the TP sounds great! Now, I don't expect it to be a boom box (just dated myself!). It's a tablet. The volume level is meant for a personal experience.

My wife has an iPad2. I can't say it is any lounder than the TouchPad.
    The Pre doesn't sound better per se, just louder. I've noticed the same thing with my Touchpad. The audio quality is superb. Good bass and good overall sound, but the volume is low on some of my mp3 files. It may have something to do with encoding on the file itself. If I get a chance this week, I will do some comparisons on my loud mp3s versus my not so loud ones.
    I have also noticed the the low sound is limited to some mp3s. Everything else to include video play nerve-rackingly loud. Maybe a software bug in the music player for some bit rates?
    Quote Originally Posted by jn549 View Post
    I just tried to watch a movie using my touchpad on an airplane with Bose noise cancelling headphones. Much of the dialog was too soft to hear, even with noise cancellation active. This needs to be fixed!
    I had the exact same experience. I attempted to buy amplified headphones at the airport with no luck. Once I returned home, I bought a line amplifier (Boostaroo) at Radio Shack to amplify the volume. It does some...

Speaker volume is fine - quality is very nice but the headphone jack needs help!
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Geez. this is a tablet, not a full blown PC.. let's be realistic here.

Beats uses 24 bit sound to provide a much higher definition sound quality to you, but, that takes CPU power.. how much more do you want this device to do?

If you want real audio power, purchase a Beats heeadset, or good set of self powered amplified speakers, or buy an HP laptop/desktop PC with Beats on it an whale away.
    I own bose q2 headphones... Sound is great volume suxxxxx.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast