Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Geez. this is a tablet, not a full blown PC.. let's be realistic here.

Beats uses 24 bit sound to provide a much higher definition sound quality to you, but, that takes CPU power.. how much more do you want this device to do?

If you want real audio power, purchase a Beats heeadset, or good set of self powered amplified speakers, or buy an HP laptop/desktop PC with Beats on it an whale away.
    Let's be realistic here --- most tablets and smartphones have 24 bit sound cards from the same sound card manufacturer as TouchPad's sound card. However, TouchPad's sound card is more expensive and have more amplifier power than these other tablets/smartphones.
    fxspec06 likes this.
    What? Wow, thanks for making my ear bleed XD, I'd figure I test earbuds with max volume cuz I'd figure it was safe. Sadly that wasn't the case. Max is plenty loud enough, halfway volume is the comfort zone for me. Without earbuds...Yeah, max is still loud enough for me to hear in a calm environment, but it won't be enough to jam in a party.
  3.    #23  
    look, if you think the touchpad's volume is fine then good. However, there is no reason that the touchpad, with very high quality headphones, speakers, and stereo systems, should be half the volume of a pre 2. I think i am going to make a video of this and post it here so that you all can see the difference. Its a great tablet for pretty much everything else, but the volume is so low....

I am not comparing this to a full blown pc, but when my phone is two times the volume, there is an issue.

I tried two different touchpads, one whicn was my own and the other was one of the demos at the local best buy. Both sounded the same.

you know, maybe I will post that video.
    I would like to see the video
  5.    #25  
    ok. Video is uploading as i type this. Will post the link here as soon as it is complete.
    donm527 likes this.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    I would like to see the video
    Video is up. The link is on the original post.
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    Video is up. The link is on the original post.
    definitely a noticeable difference there. The quality on the beats does sound very nice... but who knows how it would sound if they matched the volume. No clue if they'll change it with sw update.... my guess would be no.

Thanks for the vid. nice.
    you know what i found the volume is higher on Beats headphones. And I usually use Bose on-ear ones.
  9.    #29  
    I can try beats headphones, but even so, I would like it to be louder on external, speakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Let's be realistic here --- most tablets and smartphones have 24 bit sound cards from the same sound card manufacturer as TouchPad's sound card. However, TouchPad's sound card is more expensive and have more amplifier power than these other tablets/smartphones.
    I have not seen the specs for other tablet devices, but even if they do have 24 bit sound capacity, they do NOT use BEATS to enhance a traditional 16 bit audio file as the Beats software does.

Im not sure if they interpolate to upscale into a 24 bit output format, or just have some sets of algorithms theat they use, but, whatever it is, the TP CPU is doing much more work to produce better sound than any other tablet I have personally listend to... and that does factor into the capacity of any such device, CPU and power-wise.

Noticably, so.. in fact.

I stand by my original suggestion to the OP, thankyou - this is a tablet, not a full powered laptop or PC - the volume was fine on the demo unit I tried, but, if you want to rasie the audio beyond reasonable personal listening levels, a supplemental amplified device would be a very wise investment.

THAT is "being realistic".

sigh...
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

11.    #31  
    I have not seen the specs for other tablet devices, but even if they do have 24 bit sound capacity, they do NOT use BEATS to enhance a traditional 16 bit audio file as the Beats software does.

Im not sure if they interpolate to upscale into a 24 bit output format, or just have some sets of algorithms theat they use, but, whatever it is, the CPU is doing more work to produce better sound than any other tablet I have personally listend to...

Noticably, so.. in fact.

Istand by my original suggestion to the OP, thankyou - this is a tablet, not a full powered laptop or PC - the volume was fine on the demo unit I tried, but, if you want to rasie the audio beyond reasonable personal listening levels, a supplemental amplified device would be a very wise investment.

THAT is "being realistic".

sigh...
    I dont know if you understand... On any other TABLET (not pc), and even my Pre 2, which is a phone (again, not a pc), the audio is released louder. Much louder, as the video clearly shows. In other words, in every other tablet and high end smartphone from palm, I would not even need to think about "investing" in an extra device to boost volume that should already be there.

my pre 2 gives me more volume than a tablet. I think thats sad. I dont see how you attempt to justify that.

I can speak over the highest volume on touchpad comfortably. Not on my pre 2, not on xoom, not on ipad, not on most high end smartphones which require smaller sound cards.

all i am asking for is more volume. Options are good, you know? I like to be able to hear my music throughout the house, and I like to be able to improvise with my saxophone on top of the music. Doesnt really work if I cannot hear the music in the first place.
    LCGuy,

The processor on the TouchPad wouldn't be doing any of the work; the Beats processing would be done using the dedicated processing unit on the TouchPad's sound card.

estebancam,

The lower volume is most likely a product of the low-pass filter that Beats uses to give deeper base. It is the same reason Audiophile has a lower volume than the stock player. I would have to agree with the general consensus that the TouchPad audio does sound better than the Pre, but plays at a lower volume. You can always use AudiophileHD and jack up the volume beyond the stock max. You will suffer a fair amount of register overflow, but if volume is your main concern, it's probably your only option.
    thats a great point thanks for sharing! I wish there were settings available to adjust that on the preferences.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Basically EVERY single tablet (including the TouchPad) and smartphone has been through the teardown treatment.

The Playbook and various Samsung smartphones/tablets use Wolfson WM8994 audio chip --- which cost $2.95 each.

BlackBerry PlayBook Teardown: Wolfson WM8994E CODEC | 74 of 80

TouchPad use Wolfson WM8958 audio chip --- which cost $3.75 each.

Cracking Open the HP TouchPad: Wolfson Micro WM8958E Audio Hub and CODEC | 65 of 74

Go to Wolfson's website and you can find that there are only 2 differences between the two audio chips. TouchPad has more amplifier power (2x2W) vs. the other tablets with the cheaper audio chip has lower amplifier power (2x1W). The second difference is that the TouchPad's audio chip has hardware "multiband compressor" and the cheaper audio chip doesn't. Other than that --- they are the same audio chip, same pin layouts, same linux kernel module. A member of this forum have been playing with modifying TouchPad's audio presets and found that the kernel module in the TouchPad is named WM8994.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ced-users.html

Beats Audio profiles are similar to SRS WOW/TruBass (which uses dynamic range compression to give fuller sound). If your old PC has a cheap AC97 audio chip and you turn on SRS WOW/TruBass in Windows Media Player --- your whole PC slows down. TouchPad has an audio chip that can do it in hardware.

Most people also can't stand SRS WOW/TruBass and turn it off in WMP.
    The higher volume level of the other devices is probably attributable to the "TV ad. effect" ie compressed signal with higher average volume. I would imagine that the Touchpad has a wider dynamic range. But then, I am only guessing because I haven't got one. (Same as some of the other posters in this thread.)
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I too am surprised, there wasnt at least 2 more bars on volume but oh well. Beats sounds super with my headphones but why oh why no equalizer?? Makes no sense
    I'm begging a french guy supercurio (android dev from XDA, creator of Voodoo control plus app which has enhanced WM8994E linux kernel drivers and great digital amplifier) to check TouchPad. He is not so willing but he didn't say no ether.
    CandyNJ666

The donate version of AudiophileHD with a full EQ should be coming out be early next week.

Chalk

Do you have a link to supercurio's post? I would love to take a look at his code to see what I can do.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyuepik View Post

Chalk

Do you have a link to supercurio's post? I would love to take a look at his code to see what I can do.
    Hi,
    he is active at XDA. here is link to one of his threads with githubs addresses:
    Anything related to Sound: features or fix requests. v9: Bass Boost - xda-developers
  20.    #40  
    a patch to increase the volume would be great. An extra 25-30% will do just fine for the volume, and I am sure it wont even come close to damaging any speakers of any kind. Perhaps even an extra 50% if it is possible would be nice. The volume is so soft that almost doubling the volume would be of no harm to any speakers I think, including the ones built in.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast