Like Tree13Likes
  • 10 Post By soccerbudd
  • 3 Post By soccerbudd
  1.    #1  
    After being denied at several Walmarts, I was able to successfully find a touchpad to play with at the Best Buy near my home in St. Peters, MO. While there was no special HP display, there was a working device among some other tablets.

I wasn't able to find the Touchpad at first and had to ask someone. The salesperson told me she wouldn't be able to sell me a TP since there were lines to purchase the device and that it was already sold out. I was SO HAPPY to hear that!

Anyway, I got a good 20 minutes to tinker with the tablet, and I was just in love with it!

Here's a summary of my thoughts:

* A big WHATEVER about the tablet being thicker and heavier than an iPad2. I've played around with several friends' iPad2s at length, and while the TP is thicker, it's not by much! The tablet is sleek, sexy and nicely designed.
    * Same thoughts above regarding weight. 3 ounces is a negligible amount!
    * Overall good construction and well built. The unit felt really solid.
    * Gorgeous screen, and the TP was snappy and quick (I know it's a demo unit, but I was pleasantly surprised by the speed and responsiveness).

I really didn't plan to get a TP, but now I want one so bad! I don't have the money now, but I'm definitely a believer in the TP and hope to get one as soon as prices fall a little. Also, right now I'm focusing on the Pre3

Have a great 4th of July!

Karla
    Last edited by soccerbudd; 07/03/2011 at 08:49 AM.
    nice to hear that!
    My thoughts exactly. The form factor is in no way a negative for me. The only grip I had about it was the speaker placement. But the only reason why I even have this grip is because the speakers are so good that the only thing holding them back is the placement. I kinda laughed when I read your post, "it was already sold out. I was SO HAPPY to hear that!" happy that you can't get one Its great to hear! Thanks for the post!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    def good to hear also check ebay I have found a few that are selling in the 400 range, im actully prob going to buy one in the next few days through there.
    I walked into my best buy in san antonio tx at 9am when they opened. Since I was the first person to enter the store I obviously was the first to purchase the touchpad there. While I was waiting for the customer service rep to ring everything up, a lady brought three of em up to the counter and said she had received calls for these units, and the people were on their way to get them. Thought It was nice to see I wasnt the only early adopter at my BBY.
    I like the form factor a lot. It's thicker than a iPad 2? Lol it's still thin.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerbudd View Post
    After being denied at several Walmarts, I was able to successfully find a touchpad to play with at the Best Buy near my home in St. Peters, MO. While there was no special HP display, there was a working device among some other tablets.

I wasn't able to find the Touchpad at first and had to ask someone. The salesperson told me she wouldn't be able to sell me at TP since there were lines to purchase the device and that it was already sold out. I was SO HAPPY to hear that!

Anyway, I got a good 20 minutes to tinker with the tablet, and I was just in love with it! Here's a summary of my thoughts:

* A big WHATEVER about the tablet being thicker and heavier than an iPad2. I've played around with several friends' iPad2s at length, and while the TP is thicker, it's not by much! The tablet is sleek, sexy and nicely designed.
    * Same thoughts above regarding weight. .3 ounces is a negligible amount!
    * Overall good construction and well built. The unit felt really solid.
    * Gorgeous screen, and the TP was snappy and quick (I know it's a demo unit, but I was pleasantly surprised by the speed and responsiveness.

I really didn't plan to get a TP, but now I want one so bad! I don't have the money now, but I'm definitely a believer in the TP and hope to get one as soon as prices fall a little. Also, right now I'm focusing on the Pre3

Have a great 4th of July!

Karla
    Went all over in the days before the release and was starting to worry. Only a few stores had any sign they were getting ready. 6/30 I found a TP at Office Depot. Best Buy next door had just put up its cabinet. On Friday I decided to try the Bridgeton BB and to my surprise they had the 16gb and the 32 in stock and the staff was in the middle of getting extra direction about the product and beats audio. I was very happy that noone tried to steer me to another product or criticize my purchase, after hearing other's stories.
    ipad 2 felt about the same weight when I held it today, ok, maybe a tad lighter big whoop. Now must admit the galaxy tab did feel lighter. anyway glad to see the ol' webos makin' it next to other tablets. HP must rev up the apps. Hurry up and get the kindle app out too.
    Almost created a thread on this earlier; we stopped by a BBY earlier today and they had no TouchPads, though their rep said they got a couple dozen only, both 16GB and 32GB models.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    I kinda laughed when I read your post, "it was already sold out. I was SO HAPPY to hear that!" happy that you can't get one Its great to hear! Thanks for the post!
    I know! While a lot of people would be bummed about not being able to get something, I'm just a big supporter of webOS and really want to see it succeed. My husband has already moved onto Android and keeps telling me I should too. While he admits webOS is THE best mobile OS out there, he thinks it's going nowhere.

Well, I'm not giving up hope yet! That's what made me so happy to hear the TPs sold out that quickly. I'm glad HP is beginning a big marketing push, and I hope they are successful!

Karla
    RoverNole, bnceo and rot like this.
    that's the great spirit of webos users "we're not selfish"
    Way to hang Karla!
    Thanks!!

A nearby BB also said they sold out, the 44th Street and the 14th street BOTH ran out. Sad but also Happy knowing that they have A LOT of people buying the TP
    I was at the south hills best buy, there wasn't a line, i was the first one in. they were stocked up with them probably had about 20 or so. The sales people though were pumped, one guy had a pixi and was asking me if I could show him touch to share, he kept trying it on his pixi he said for the demo unit.

btw the demo unit software is very heavy and lags the device. the one guy said it was slow, after i closed the demo software i showed him how fast it was. they were very impressed.

glad everyone got one this weekend.
    >>
    btw the demo unit software is very heavy and lags the device. the one guy said it was slow, after i closed the demo software i showed him how fast it was. they were very impressed.
    >>
    Hope all those reviewers didn't test it with the demo software ;p
    good news all around. Must admit, it's pretty funny how we can sit here and say "i'm happy cause they're sold out even thou i wanted one" lol

well to your husband who thinks it's going no where, here is the start of it... and the advertising hasn't even started yet.

also a further note, you mentioned the store that didn't even have a display up... couldn't that store get in a lot of heat since HP is paying for premium space?
    I posted the question yesterday, anyone hear of a place selling out of them, glad to hear of at least one.

ET
    Okay, I have no will power. I just drove past a Walmart and just bought a 32g TP. Last one. They had no more 16g ones left either. They are selling out baby.

ET

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    it is a long weekend. You must have a new gadget to show off at family gathering. To counter other counter ipad2.