1.    #1  
    I've noticed that if i disconnect my touchpad from my hidden wireless network, the touchpad takes the touchpad a long time to re-find my network so long that I've decided, for now, to unhide my wireless network.

I have yet to have this issue with any laptops trying to connect to my network or my frankenpre+.

I've looked around in the settings and I've yet to find a way to force connect to my wireless network.

Is anyone else having the same issue with hidden wireless networks?
    So anytime you connect to a hidden network it takes significantly longer than reconnecting to a network with a broadcasted SSID?

Have you tried on more networks besides just your one home network?
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  3.    #3  
    correct, it seems that the touchpad is taking a passive approach in finding hidden networks, instead of actively looking for a list of known networks.

When I connect to visible networks that the touchpad knows about, the touchpad connects to them almost immediately.

I personally dont like when devices try to automatically connect to known networks from a list that they dont "see", but I have yet to see a way on the touchpad to force connect to a known network.
  4.    #4  
    I am guessing that this could be an isolated incident with my wireless network?
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    I have a hidden network at home and a visible one at work. I have NOT noticed any problems connecting to either.
    Quote Originally Posted by victorkruger View Post
    I am guessing that this could be an isolated incident with my wireless network?
    I have the exact same problem. It will connect eventually, 15 to 30 minutes. When I allow SSID broadcasting, it connects right away.
  7. TJB
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    same problem for me. I had to un-hide my home network
    the SSID for my at home draytek wireless router is hidden and is fine as is my Three MiFi mobile device with SSID hidden.

sounds like a router issue than a touchpad one.
    I have read of others having issues with connecting to SSIDs which aren't broadcast. But same as here there are many who don't have the issue. I used to hide my network but over time have had a small number of devices which don't like it, often laptops others bring over. I finally just started broadcasting the SSID. When I first hid it, I thought it might provide some security. After getting a better understanding of wireless security I now believe it does not, that the key to wireless security is WPA or WPA2 with AES is the most important factor. Advice on password composition and length varies. The main consideration is avoiding dictionary attacks. You want to avoid using only known words. The more you mix it some upper case and numerical characters the harder it is to brute force attack it. Many advise at least 25 characters but if you use random combinations of just some lower & upper case characters even a 7 character password would take over year to brute force attack even with 10 PCs working on it assuming a guess rate of 100 guesses a second. Throw in some number characters for good measure and you're pretty secure even with a relative short password so long as it's got some randomness. So maybe you have another reason for hiding SSIDs but if it's for security you're deluding yourself as modern tools and easily see hidden SSIDs and WPA/WPA2 w/ AES & random passwords at least 8 characters is the real security.
    same issue here, I had to unhide my network
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    I have read of others having issues with connecting to SSIDs which aren't broadcast. But same as here there are many who don't have the issue. I used to hide my network but over time have had a small number of devices which don't like it, often laptops others bring over. I finally just started broadcasting the SSID. When I first hid it, I thought it might provide some security. After getting a better understanding of wireless security I now believe it does not, that the key to wireless security is WPA or WPA2 with AES is the most important factor. Advice on password composition and length varies. The main consideration is avoiding dictionary attacks. You want to avoid using only known words. The more you mix it some upper case and numerical characters the harder it is to brute force attack it. Many advise at least 25 characters but if you use random combinations of just some lower & upper case characters even a 7 character password would take over year to brute force attack even with 10 PCs working on it assuming a guess rate of 100 guesses a second. Throw in some number characters for good measure and you're pretty secure even with a relative short password so long as it's got some randomness. So maybe you have another reason for hiding SSIDs but if it's for security you're deluding yourself as modern tools and easily see hidden SSIDs and WPA/WPA2 w/ AES & random passwords at least 8 characters is the real security.
    either way some have the issue with their touchpads and some dont, being that soem dont, that kinda rules out the touchpads fault, we all have the same hardware touchpad-wise, our routers however will be different, its more feasable the issue isnt the touchpad but our routers/switches/modems/whatever or wed ALL have the exact same issue.

so yeah, touchpads fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    either way some have the issue with their touchpads and some dont, being that soem dont, that kinda rules out the touchpads fault, we all have the same hardware touchpad-wise, our routers however will be different, its more feasable the issue isnt the touchpad but our routers/switches/modems/whatever or wed ALL have the exact same issue.

so yeah, touchpads fine.
    Yes I don't think there is any huge 'bug' In the touchpad wireless implementation. It's more link the typical interoperability issues that are fairly common between different chipsets/firmwares, like those older Intel clients had with broadcom routers just to give one example of many. I do suspect the touchpad driver could be improved to help as this can be said of almost any driver, they're living things that improve/adapt. I couldn't could the times I upgraded the firmware of my home routers both to add features and improve stability. That doesn't meant I think there is anything wrong with my home routers, just trying to keep them as current and good performing as possible.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    yep same problem. two touchpads no issue with non broadcast router,third one it is not finding it no matter jow long I let it try.
    I know it really presents no problem for the regular neighbors to see the id but hacker types will see it even with no broadcasting of the ssid.
    Quote Originally Posted by jack90125 View Post
    yep same problem. two touchpads no issue with non broadcast router,third one it is not finding it no matter jow long I let it try.
    I know it really presents no problem for the regular neighbors to see the id but hacker types will see it even with no broadcasting of the ssid.
    Hacker types can see your SSID whether you're broadcasting it or not. Any reasonably intelligent and motivated individual can find and download tools to easily do so in a matter of minutes. This is why I say hiding your SSID really provides no security and can be dangerous to think it does if it means you aren't using WPA/WPA2 w/ AES & a random password which will provide security.
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Hacker types can see your SSID whether you're broadcasting it or not. Any reasonably intelligent and motivated individual can find and download tools to easily do so in a matter of minutes. This is why I say hiding your SSID really provides no security and can be dangerous to think it does if it means you aren't using WPA/WPA2 w/ AES & a random password which will provide security.
    its the same as having a security guard at the front of a building, he WILL deter people who have little determination to get inside, but for someone properly motivated and determined they will not let a guard stop them.

Hiding your SSID will in a similar way stop people who dont look into those things too hard but wont stop someone who has the means/need and tools to do so, so its still worth hiding it if only to eliminate 1 larger portion of the risk, as "normal" people vastly outnumber the ones that will go all the way with their bag of tricks.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Same problem here. Had not experienced any problems using an older Linksys router with SSID hidden. Encountered the problem after changing out the router to a newer NETGEAR router (WNDR3300), for which I now must enable SSID broadcast in order to allow our two TouchPads to locate the signal and sign in. I also tried to *manually* specify the network while the SSID was hidden, but the TouchPad still failed to locate the router. Wasn't patient enough to determine if the TouchPad would eventually connect on its own.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    its the same as having a security guard at the front of a building, he WILL deter people who have little determination to get inside, but for someone properly motivated and determined they will not let a guard stop them.

Hiding your SSID will in a similar way stop people who dont look into those things too hard but wont stop someone who has the means/need and tools to do so, so its still worth hiding it if only to eliminate 1 larger portion of the risk, as "normal" people vastly outnumber the ones that will go all the way with their bag of tricks.
    I can't argue with that. But I would propose that we have nothing to fear from the vast majority of "normal" people. It's those who are motivated, for whatever reason, that we should fear. The tools are all too easy to find and download. Hiding your SSID is a bit like covering up the address on your house & hoping that nobody will see or break into the house afterwards, ;D
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    No problem with the hidden networks at work at all.

The home network is not hidden and no problem with any of my 3 routers