Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

On another site, the poster was upset about the TouchPad's web browser. He claimed that it doesn't do form auto-fill or remember user accounts, doesn't support full screen mode, can't specify the character encoding, no private browsing support, no web short cuts and no anti-phishing support. Are these valid complaints? Or did he just miss finding them when he was using the tablet?

Thanks for your response.
    Quote Originally Posted by davehries View Post
    Hi,

On another site, the poster was upset about the TouchPad's web browser. He claimed that it doesn't do form auto-fill or remember user accounts, doesn't support full screen mode, can't specify the character encoding, no private browsing support, no web short cuts and no anti-phishing support. Are these valid complaints? Or did he just miss finding them when he was using the tablet?

I heard its true there is no password remembering.

I think others are true too, but surely would like hear some owners to confirm or deny them.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    To answer your questions --

The browser does not have auto-fill and it does not remember user ID/password info. I really hope they do something about memorizing ID/passwords.

I'm not sure what your expectations are about "full screen" mode. The browser does maximize to fill the screen with a small single-line bar at the top for url and a few functional buttons. It's perhaps half and inch in height.

I haven't found any shortcuts yet and was looking for things like that.

I don't know about the character encoding.

I'm not sure what you mean about private browsing support. If that means to use the browser without anybody else finding what you did, I did find an app that claims to let you browse without leaving any history. The browser does allow the option of clearing history, cache and cookies in the Preferences menu.
    LinT likes this.
    If one follows a link on a long page and then returns to that page with the back button (sure wish we could back gesture!), the page does not return to the same point on the original page, but just reloads to the top of the page. Minor annoyance, hoping for patch to fix.
    it is a very basic browser, yes. However, I have not missed any of those features on my touchpad. A very small percentage of people use those things. However, I am not going to make excuses.... HP needs to add these things in order to make the tablet compete.

that said, I do believe that this is this is the best browser I have used out of any tablet. It is very smooth and very fast, supports flash, it works very well with the amazing touchscreen, and it renders stuff properly. As far as features go, the winner goes to android 3.0 browsing. Ig has tons of cool features.

one thing I do wish this tablet had is tabbed browsing. Cards are good, but tabs are better because I dont need to exit to card view to switch the websites I want to see. I really used tabs quite a bit when I had the xoom. I miss them.
    Have they included a scrollbar yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by davehries View Post
    Hi,

on some sites it is remembering them for me, others not... Same as IE does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    on some sites it is remembering them for me, others not... Same as IE does.
    Same for me. For example, it remembers my PreCentral log in information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    The browser does not have auto-fill and it does not remember user ID/password info. I really hope they do something about memorizing ID/passwords.
    Yet. I'm expecting that feature to come in the next OTA update. It's already partially implemented. See here: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...s-browser.html
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Same for me. For example, it remembers my PreCentral log in information.
    Thats cookies, if website set it not to expire, your session will be there, it is not remembering passwords, which usually will promote you to save it, at which time, you can choose what to do.

Generally, the best mobile browser on any platform so far is opera mobile. Feature rich, support flash, and super smooth.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    what about a centralized system like lastpass?
    https://lastpass.com/misc_download.p...os#mobilewebos
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Yet. I'm expecting that feature to come in the next OTA update. It's already partially implemented. See here: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...s-browser.html
    Thanks for the tip Garrett. What's strange is my TPad does not have that selection line available on the Preferences screen. I had to triple check to make sure. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    Thanks for the tip Garrett. What's strange is my TPad does not have that selection line available on the Preferences screen. I had to triple check to make sure. lol
    No Touchpads have that line. I had to edit the code to make it show up. lol.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    "I wish the TouchPad could just read my mind and do everything I ever wanted it to do out of the box"

Just give it time people, if you remember back to the first iPod Touch it did lack a lot of functionality and remember even thought the tablets are a competing market they are building specified items immediately. and then they build other specified items. They are not just building stuff on the fly and throwing it in, there are design reviews, tech docs and months of planning that go into the best of things. So you just need to give HP time before a lot of the current pet peeves are gone.

I work for a company with a software platform, I see the efforts in making the application right and "right the first time", it is not always the case, but we do our best and hope for the best. Even if it does not always turn out that way, we always have update 3.0.1 for minor issues and 3.1.0 for major issues.

Keep your head up and HP will do their best to make all of us happy. They know what it is like to do so "otherwise they would not be at the top of the market in that they have done for years".
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    No Touchpads have that line. I had to edit the code to make it show up. lol.
    What did you edit? PM me if need be. Thanks in advance.

Also it may not work fully because of something else needing modification in order to work 100%. I am sure something so well organized and available would be in a minor release.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Ok I have had the Pre and ipad combo for a while.

While using the touchpad I constantly try to backswipe and touch the browser at the top to jump to the top of the page. Very unsettling and must be muscle memory :-).

I have hopes that updates will make a lot of this better.

I really like my touchpad, I really want it to be better.

by the way it seems to remember my logins and passwords better than pre or ipad for some sites.

regards
    graylion
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    This was never in WebOS 1.x. I'm sure there is no vpn support but sans that, proxy support would be the next best thing for use at some companys. Did the TP come with it?

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    I think they should partner with operah or firefox.... Box the browsing exp is very smooth, just needs polish. But I would rather they focus on polishing the Os and outsource the browser....
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    I think they should partner with operah or firefox.... Box the browsing exp is very smooth, just needs polish. But I would rather they focus on polishing the Os and outsource the browser....
    That would be a terrific idea. Although I'm a firefox advocate, I have to say opera is the leader at this time. They also seem very quick in development.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    The browser is AWFUL.

Actually, this is a big issue and a problem that extends beyond the page moving side to side.

Overall the browser is crap and has me quite annoyed as I thought this was going to be a strength of this tablet.

Because the browser moves side to side, advanced HTML5 features like swiping of individual content elements within the browser will not work, the entire page will move.

I build advanced advertising for ad networks like Google mobile ads and major brands. If items like "swipe to go to next" , "swipe to reveal", "360 degree animations", etc., etc... won't work on the TP and other future WebOS devices, this is a HUGE problem.
    I have tested about 10 our our sites and also tested all of Google mobile ads interactive ad units and NONE of them work with this browser.

Why is this a huge problem? Because the ad networks will not be able to target any WebOS devices. This will mean the brands that are buying these ads will consider the WebOS devices as inferior. This means they will not build apps for WebOS.
    And a large portion of the apps on iOS and Android are built buy or sponsored by brands.

The browser right now is a huge FAIL.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast