Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    I think they should partner with operah or firefox.... Box the browsing exp is very smooth, just needs polish. But I would rather they focus on polishing the Os and outsource the browser....
    God I hope someone comes out with a browser ASAP.
    I also like Dolphin.
    Quote Originally Posted by southbaypalm View Post
    The browser is AWFUL.

Actually, this is a big issue and a problem that extends beyond the page moving side to side.

Overall the browser is crap and has me quite annoyed as I thought this was going to be a strength of this tablet.

Because the browser moves side to side, advanced HTML5 features like swiping of individual content elements within the browser will not work, the entire page will move.

I build advanced advertising for ad networks like Google mobile ads and major brands. If items like "swipe to go to next" , "swipe to reveal", "360 degree animations", etc., etc... won't work on the TP and other future WebOS devices, this is a HUGE problem.
    I have tested about 10 our our sites and also tested all of Google mobile ads interactive ad units and NONE of them work with this browser.

Why is this a huge problem? Because the ad networks will not be able to target any WebOS devices. This will mean the brands that are buying these ads will consider the WebOS devices as inferior. This means they will not build apps for WebOS.
    And a large portion of the apps on iOS and Android are built buy or sponsored by brands.

The browser right now is a huge FAIL.
    A good portion of CSS transitions are suported on webOS, including rotations and translations (both CSS transforms you're describing). What's the problem, then? probably your implementation.
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    That would be a terrific idea. Although I'm a firefox advocate, I have to say opera is the leader at this time. They also seem very quick in development.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    More than terrific, it's a terrorific idea.

Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    A good portion of CSS transitions are suported on webOS, including rotations and translations (both CSS transforms you're describing). What's the problem, then? probably your implementation.
    The implementations work on ipad, all Android tablets and every Android phone.
    Also work on the current Pre phones.

Only device that these don't work on are the TouchPad. Expecting companies like ours to do a TouchPad only implementation is asking a lot, but who knows maybe we will.
    Pretty darn sure that unless the TouchPad sells major numbers and becomes a force, Google and others are not going to do a custom implementation.
    a link please.
    Gaps in the browser will lead to others filling those gaps Firefox, Opera, let's even throw Chrome in there.

With all new technologies (yes, I know about Palm, WebOS, etc history) I will give it awhile. The question is, "Can HP quickly improve the user experience?"
    Quote Originally Posted by toy4x4 View Post
    Gaps in the browser will lead to others filling those gaps Firefox, Opera, let's even throw Chrome in there.

With all new technologies (yes, I know about Palm, WebOS, etc history) I will give it awhile. The question is, "Can HP quickly improve the user experience?"
    I doubt chrome will ever be on touchpad officially. Opera, on the other hand, can be here very soon, if hp pursues it, which it should. Webos is still a small presence,hp cannot afford to wait for others to come, hp need to initiate the cooperation.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Also work on the current Pre phones.
    They've made heavy changes to rendering on their webkit implementation, and there are some glitches here and there. Maybe your stuff is suffering this.

Wait and see, they must solve those glitches.

a link please.
    I'm using them on Communities, and they work. The engine used to render websites and apps is the same.

The browser is AWFUL.

Actually, this is a big issue and a problem that extends beyond the page moving side to side.

Overall the browser is crap and has me quite annoyed as I thought this was going to be a strength of this tablet.

Because the browser moves side to side, advanced HTML5 features like swiping of individual content elements within the browser will not work, the entire page will move.

I build advanced advertising for ad networks like Google mobile ads and major brands. If items like "swipe to go to next" , "swipe to reveal", "360 degree animations", etc., etc... won't work on the TP and other future WebOS devices, this is a HUGE problem.
    I have tested about 10 our our sites and also tested all of Google mobile ads interactive ad units and NONE of them work with this browser.

Why is this a huge problem? Because the ad networks will not be able to target any WebOS devices. This will mean the brands that are buying these ads will consider the WebOS devices as inferior. This means they will not build apps for WebOS.
    And a large portion of the apps on iOS and Android are built buy or sponsored by brands.

I love the browser and if it doesnt play nice with interactive ads I won't cry.
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Well it looks like someone deleted my suggestion on having the ipad's atomic web browser ported to the touchpad. Not sure why...I am being totally serious. I have used Dolphin and many of the Android browsers and atomic web browser for the ipad is my favorite browser for tablets.
    The browser is AWFUL.

If you're really as knowledgeable as you think you are you would avoid using html5 to appeal to mass markets like advertising. The percentage of people that are running web browsers that support html5 isn't that high. Not only that but there isn't a single computer web browser that fully supports html5, but you would like full html5 support on a tablet?

If you're trying to support the masses I would suggest avoiding html5 and css3 as a rule of thumb.
    I'm using them on Communities, and they work. The engine used to render websites and apps is the same.
    I really don't know what the communities is, but you can test the css3 support here:

http://www.findmebyip.com/#css3

And

http://tools.css3.info/selectors-test/test.html

Would be good to see a result from touchpad's browser.
    ---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Then you better like what the TP does not and never want any other feature.

What you are exemplifying is logic fail. You need ads to encourage app development!
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    I like the browser overall. But I do get a too many redirects error on a site I go to that I don't get on any other browser. Makes me wonder if I can patch it to allow more redirect attempts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmglakewood View Post
    If you're really as knowledgeable as you think you are you would avoid using html5 to appeal to mass markets like advertising. The percentage of people that are running web browsers that support html5 isn't that high. Not only that but there isn't a single computer web browser that fully supports html5, but you would like full html5 support on a tablet?

If you're trying to support the masses I would suggest avoiding html5 and css3 as a rule of thumb.
    Only targeting mobile. And targeting the phones that advertisers care about, which right now is iPhone/ipad and Android.....which support all these function.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Ok, then, do this;

Go to Google Maps

Do a local search, e.g. dentist, <your zip>

And then click on the Google map. Tell me how wonderful your experience is with that.
    Try dragging the map around with your finger. How did that work for you?

Heck, sometimes the pins vanish and come back after some delay.

I am a big WebOS supporter, but this browser is awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    I like the browser overall. But I do get a too many redirects error on a site I go to that I don't get on any other browser. Makes me wonder if I can patch it to allow more redirect attempts.
    Try logging into Hotmail.
    Not sure if it is a browser problem or Microsoft is blocking the TouchPad browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph3n View Post
    Then you better like what the TP does not and never want any other feature.

What you are exemplifying is logic fail. You need ads to encourage app development!
    Thank you!! Someone who gets it.

if this device does not play with advertisers this product will never have the applications to compete on that front.
    I really don't know what the communities is, but you can test the css3 support here:

What's my IP?, What's my browser? - FindMeByIP - CSS3 & HTML5 Browser Support

And

CSS3 Selectors Test, CSS3 .info

Would be good to see a result from touchpad's browser.
    ---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Communities is a webOS app. Said that, webOS 3.0 supports Transitions, 2D Transforms, Gradients, and Animations, all of them tested by me.

What's my IP?, What's my browser? - FindMeByIP - CSS3 & HTML5 Browser Support test page says (it's wrong, as far as I know) it also supports reflections, text-shadows and box-shadows.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast