Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By hparsons
  1.    #1  
    Prior to the release of the TouchPad (and unfortunately, to some degree even now), there were lots of "predictions" bandied about that haven't panned out the way they were presented. Unfortunately, usually these suppositions and assumptions were spoken of as if they were a certainty, sometimes as if they were a fact. These then led to speculation as to why these things were going to happen that way, which invariably were negatives about Palm/Hp/TouchSton/Excecutives/Whatever. The problem with these "Oh, nevermind" type of "predictions", is twfold:
    • They create a negative image of the device(s) and/or the company
    • The "predictors" typically do not come back and say "Well, I was wrong about that one. (Usually, they just start in with another "prediction".
    • The combination of the first two often means that a visitor (or even a regular) on this forum may still believe that negative.

So, here's my proposition: I'm going to keep a running list of negative predictions that haven't played out the way they were stated. You post yours, and I'll link to it here, and create a summary. Hopefully, folks that appreciate finding the truth of that particular bit of information will "Thank" or "Like" the individual post.

I'm going to put only what the original misconception was, and the facts here, with a link to the post detailing the issue. Readers can go to that link for the details (and editorializing); hopefully, that will keep the "that's not fair" stuff out of this original post.

Last edited by hparsons; 07/02/2011 at 03:28 PM.
  2.    #2  
    There was some pretty strong speculation that the TouchPad was going to cause major problems with existing profiles, especially those that have 1.4.5 Profiles (I have a Pre, but mine had been Doctored with 2.1).

Some folks were going as far as saying this would ruin their phone, make it unuseable, make it so we couldn't run apps we'd already bought, and might cause Pre users to avoid the TouchPad.

Turned out not to be the case. Though it's probably still a little early to say there is no problem; using your old profile certainly hasn't ruined any phones, and many users are using both 1.4.5 and 2.1 profiles and not reporting any issue.

My biggest problem was uninstalling all of the apps off the TouchPad that I wanted on my phone, but not my TouchPad.

Related to this - I've seen a few users ask if they delete the app of the TouchPad, will it also disappear from the phone. The answer is no, you can have different apps on different devices.
    Certainly the performance is nowhere near as dire as I was reading. It's quite nice except in a few spots, but I expect those will be addressed shortly.

The app situation is quickly improving. "Fat apps" are already being integrated into the store as we speak (some are already in there) that allow app devs to allow upgrading the same app ID to a touchpad variant so customers don't have to purchase twice.
    How many touchpad specific apps are available right now? Somebody post it up for reference. I'm just interested to see where the baseline is and someone can post up the new numbers each week/month or something. I here it's 300?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by timepants View Post
    Certainly the performance is nowhere near as dire as I was reading. It's quite nice except in a few spots, but I expect those will be addressed shortly.

The app situation is quickly improving. "Fat apps" are already being integrated into the store as we speak (some are already in there) that allow app devs to allow upgrading the same app ID to a touchpad variant so customers don't have to purchase twice.
    While I agree with you, but I'm not going to put this one on the list. I think you're 100% correct, but "poor performance" is really too subjective.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    but "poor performance" is really too subjective.
    It can be quantified using the javascript benchmarks.
    The legacy devices "wouldn't support call forwarding".
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  8.    #8  
    This was one that found particularly irritating. The comment was made based on leaks of information that some stores were only getting two 32gb devices in stock. The "information" presented was steadily increased in surety (at one point, a member making the claim took me up on a bet as to the accuracy). This lead to all kinds of speculation about the motiviations, including the idea that HP offered the 16gb version solely because they could show the same price at Apple's lowest priced iPad (it's probably true that's the reason HP offered the lower memory version); and that they are going to limit quantity to force users to the more expensive 32gb version.

There's some irony in that reasoning. Apparently, the demand was greater than HP anticipated for the 16gb version, and they ran out. However, rather than "forcing users to pay the difference"; HP took an unusal step. They fulfilled in-store shipments (so the retail outlets actually had them on hand), then offered those the customers who's orders they couldn't fill a 32gb model at the same price they paid for the 16gb version.

Understandably, this only applied to those who ordered before they ran out, and were promised a delivery date they couldn't keep.

All that said, it's obvious that there was no deep dark conspiracy by HP to squeeze an extra $100 out of people by forcing them to buy 32gb versions of the TouchPad.
    there are 4,494 apps in the TP catalog, and at least several hundred that are specific to the TP. I havent figured out how to count them. At least 158 have touchpad mentioned in the searchable text.
    Here is one myth worth busting:

There is a 'launch day os update'.

Is there?

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Here is one myth worth busting:

There is a 'launch day os update'.

Is there?

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    The OS update reported in here was around July 25th.
  12.    #12  
    Whats up with erasing legit response? Mod?

There are many ppl reporting stores they visited have 32gb only, is that not a fact anymore for ya?

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    There are some stores that don't have the 32gb version. That doesn't indicate that HP is witholding them from retailers.

The fact that some stores have the 16gb version clearly indicates that "HP is witholding them from all retail stores" was incorrect.
    There are some stores that don't have the 32gb version. That doesn't indicate that HP is witholding them from retailers.

The fact that some stores have the 16gb version clearly indicates that "HP is witholding them from all retail stores" was incorrect.
    So why many stores don't have it? Whats the reason? Not 'forcing, or encouraging buyers to buy 32 gb'? Then what?

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
  14.    #14  
    So why many stores don't have it? Whats the reason? Not 'forcing, or encouraging buyers to buy 32 gb'? Then what?

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    I'd suggest you contact the stores that don't carry them, and ask them why. My post on here was simply to address the falshoods that were presented.
    I'd suggest you contact the stores that don't carry them, and ask them why. My post on here was simply to address the falshoods that were presented.
    Thats fine, if you don't know the reason, then you should not indicating that 'forcing users to buy 32gb' is not the reason.

How can you judging true or false about something you don't know?

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
  16.    #16  
    Thats fine, if you don't know the reason, then you should not indicating that 'forcing users to buy 32gb' is not the reason.

How can you judging true or false about something you don't know?

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    If HP's goal was to force users to buy the 32gb version so they could get an additional $100, they wouldn't have given those that ordered 16tb models (from them) the 32gb version at no additional charge. Your conjecture just didn't hold water.

Some stores have them. That means that they are not witholding them from retail outlets, and only providing them online directly from HP (which was the original claim).

you all gonna buy 32gb version on launch day?

coz there won't be 16 gb version available at retails on launch.
    not only that. a prior post mentioned a target employee said there won't be 32gb at any retail store including target, walmart and bestbuy.
    we will find out soon enough!

do remember though, i have, in many posts, strongly urged HP, that they should ship 16gb version to stores at launch.
    And I'm done with the back and forth on this particular topic. I think anyone who's willing to see, can see what happened here.
    Members who want to argue can take it offline. Thread closed.