Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree8Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    translation = our devices absolutely bombed and AllthingD were right on the money.
    They will still say it was an Google/Apple conspiracy. Now begins the rebirth watch, will Samsung get, will HTC get it...etc.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    listening to the earnings call - basically they were losing money hand over fist with WebOS and spending more money on it was like throwing money down the drain. Absolutely no chance of anyone licensing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    listening to the earnings call - basically they were losing money hand over fist with WebOS and spending more money on it was like throwing money down the drain. Absolutely no chance of anyone licensing it.
    Yeah, reading the liveblog...HP pretty much sabotaged any chance of a company wanting to license webOS when they said they say no potential for profit, essentially calling it a money sink.
    Geez....wish I had $1.2 billion to throw away just like that. I wonder how much they spent on design and release of the TouchPad and psuedo-release of the Pre3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacstar View Post
    Geez....wish I had $1.2 billion to throw away just like that. I wonder how much they spent on design and release of the TouchPad and psuedo-release of the Pre3?
    At this point, all they can do is consider the webOS experiment to be a sunk cost. It's pretty telling when they think they'll have to spend more than that to try to gain traction.
    I would never give green light to Touchpad if I was in charge. HP sabotaged whole WebOS saga from the start. I don't know why they invested so much just to kill it!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacstar View Post
    John Fortt on CNBC said the call claimed webOS was costing HP $332 million dollars. don't know if that's per quarter or what but if you're losing that kind of money and don't see a profit coming, like, now. Well you gotta cut the losses i guess.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    John Fortt on CNBC said the call claimed webOS was costing HP $332 million dollars. don't know if that's per quarter or what but if you're losing that kind of money and don't see a profit coming, like, now. Well you gotta cut the losses i guess.
    But who thought they would be making a profit after only a month of TouchPad sales and why announce the cancellation of hardware development the same week that new hardware is being introduced in Europe?
    dabombcra likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    But who thought they would be making a profit after only a month of TouchPad sales and why announce the cancellation of hardware development the same week that new hardware is being introduced in Europe?
    They made projections based on current sales which is obviously catastrophic.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    HP. I think nobody buys a company in order to continue to lose money. Businesses don't do that. That whole give it time stuff is fantasy. But the bottom line i think is it was very clear to HP that touchpads were not selling and were not going to sell any better in the future then they are now.

he same reason Palm got sold before they were bankrupt. if you're burning hundreds of millions of dollars, the writing is on the wall. Its not sustainable at that rate and bottom line is not enough people were buying the products.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Bad business management..... Actually horrible business management! It's really quite astounding. Mega corp = chicken running around with it's head cut-off.
    Actually, HP got all of Palm's patents as part of the deal. If the PSG gets spun off into a new company and they decide to create a Windows Phone, those patents will still come in handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Actually, HP got all of Palm's patents as part of the deal. If the PSG gets spun off into a new company and they decide to create a Windows Phone, those patents will still come in handy.
    true...but looking back on the real reason why hp picked up palm...to continue the webOS legacy, integrate it across all hardware platforms and revolutionize pc's... With that the failed utterly. Hence a chicken running around with it's head missing.

On strictly business cents... The patents alone are worth more $1.2b+$322m (on webOS+tablet construction). So yay HP!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyflyer View Post
    Bad business management..... Actually horrible business management! It's really quite astounding. Mega corp = chicken running around with it's head cut-off.
    there are'nt many corps that don't waste money out of stupidity. I just don't see how they lost so much money. The phones were the exact same design as the original pre and how much money could they blow on the horribly designed tp? That thing looked and felt like it was designed by a junior high home ec student.
    According to a channel analyst company in the UK. The touchpad isn't even available everywhere in Europe. Why wouldn't ASUS or Lenovo or ACER want the Touchpad when in its first month it doubled the sales of the Transformer?
    Peppy431 and dabombcra like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    HP. I think nobody buys a company in order to continue to lose money. Businesses don't do that. That whole give it time stuff is fantasy. But the bottom line i think is it was very clear to HP that touchpads were not selling and were not going to sell any better in the future then they are now.

he same reason Palm got sold before they were bankrupt. if you're burning hundreds of millions of dollars, the writing is on the wall. Its not sustainable at that rate and bottom line is not enough people were buying the products.
    That's assuming they would just leave it as is and not try to improve their products. In both cases with the Pre and the Touchpad, they should have held back the release a month or so in order to fix the bugs that reviewers nailed them on, got the advertising and in store displays ready, and then launch the device. Manufacturing way too many devices before the amount of demand was clear was probably a big part of those losses. If the model doesn't sell, kill it and move on to an improved designs that are already in the development queue. Palm didn't have the capital to make the investments to improve what they had. HP did and chose to throw in the towel after the 1st round.

Amazon lost money for years trying to build a customer base and become profitable.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Where the sales figure right now?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234