Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Analysts frequently access performance of retail sales by gathering numbers from a couple reliable sources when trying to get an early feel for things. Chances are, there aren't many retailers that can offer accurate data fast enough. It's just the way it is.

The news media who actually care about providing objective and accurate reports care greatly about ensuring the information is reliable. That's opposed to those who want to rush to be the first and make excuses for not being accurate the first time around.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Actually, Global Equities was also postulating. 2 vendors is not enough for them to have made that claim reliably.

It may be true, but basing that on 2 vendors is still simply a guess.
    It really depends on how many individual stores they phoned up.

The analsyt that WRONGLY called the Xoom sales (as low as 25000) called only 30 stores (a mixture of Best Buy, Staples, Costco).

The analsyt that CORRECTLY called the Playbook sales called about 180 stores of about the same mixture of chains.
    Not expecting great sales from BestBuy. At my local store today, I chatted with 2 sales people to see if there was any knowledge or buzz about the TouchPad.

Me: What version of WebOS does the TouchPad run?
    Salesperson 1: WebOS? It *just* came out.
    Me: Tell me about it.
    Salesperson 1: It's brand new. I'm not really an HP person.
    Me: How many have you sold so far?
    Salesperson 1: Me? I haven't sold any. Have you?
    Salesperson 2: No, I haven't sold a single one.
    Salesperson 1 (to me): You should look at an Android or iPad.

This has been my experience with Verizon as well-- if I call Verizon with a Pre issue, the tech usually spends any waiting time (reboot) trying to talk me into buying an Android phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    Not all stores have the Touchpad for sale. Including multiple Best Buys - not all Best Buys have the display up...customers don't know it exists....
    Ads haven't hit television yet...
    Fact is this is a slow kick-off and this sort of report a day into sales is really ridiculous.
    rkruger likes this.
    I dropped by the 44th and 5th Ave BB and they had a HP Rep there. There was A LOT of people trying out the hp touchpad and I was glad to see the excitement here in NYC over the TP.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    I feel HP has a good thing going with the soft launch. It works well enough for the most of us early adopters and within a few weeks, they plan on significantly improving performance... At that point the pre3 will be out ( I hope) they can sell the eco system full steam ahead!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    rot likes this.
    Personally I'm more interested in the number of sales of the Touchpad HP will close in the next couple of weeks as part of its push into the enterprise. I'm sure HP will start designing solutions with the Touchpad as an integral part of that solution.
    Here's some interesting posts about stores that are selling them very well. Of course, there's only 2 or 3 so far .... oh wait, never mind, 2 is now an acceptable sample.

So, reports are that it's selling very well.
    consumer numbers maybe low but will they report enterprise orders?! Wait ... if there were any, lol.... Hope so
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    @kseaston

Not expecting great sales from BestBuy. At my local store today, I chatted with 2 sales people to see if there was any knowledge or buzz about the TouchPad.

Me: What version of WebOS does the TouchPad run?
    Salesperson 1: WebOS? It *just* came out.
    Me: Tell me about it.
    Salesperson 1: It's brand new. I'm not really an HP person.
    Me: How many have you sold so far?
    Salesperson 1: Me? I haven't sold any. Have you?
    Salesperson 2: No, I haven't sold a single one.
    Salesperson 1 (to me): You should look at an Android or iPad.

This has been my experience with Verizon as well-- if I call Verizon with a Pre issue, the tech usually spends any waiting time (reboot) trying to talk me into buying an Android phone.

At least someone spoke to you. I booted the two touchpads in the store, played with them for 20-30 mins, and the only person that came over to look was a little Asian girl who shouted to her family, 'look an ipad'. No sales assistants even looked at me.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    When I went to buy my Touchpad the salesman at Best Buy thought it ran Android. To make things worse, when I told him it ran webOS he tried to argue with me. He finally pulled their demo model out of the cage, seeing as it wasn't on display yet, and I pointed out to him where it said webOS on it and then I showed him how to use it.

What makes this better, is that after showing him around webOS he really liked it. Best Buy sucks so bad.
    Sprint Palm Pre
    Sprint Palm Pixi
    Ouch. The HP rep's indifference is particularly troubling. My BestBuy experience was a bit better. The reps didn't go to any great lengths to sell the TouchPad, but it had it's own display island, with 3 TouchPads on display. At least four reps asked if I needed help while I was there test driving.
    At least someone spoke to you. I booted the two touchpads in the store, played with them for 20-30 mins, and the only person that came over to look was a little Asian girl who shouted to her family, 'look an ipad'. No sales assistants even looked at me.[/QUOTE]

+1 for this
    Total lack of interest/involvement at BB in Galleria, Houston.
    Was playing with 4 Touchpads... 2 were not even set up on the demo network (with was soooo suckfully slow... but it was slow for iPads on display, too!).

The TouchPad signage was out of date "Coming Soon" - last week (July 8).

The Veer next to the Touchpads on display had run out of juice.
    When I asked why it was not working, I got "I'm don't really know that much about HP". Got an "oh, didn't know that" when I connected the magnetic thingy... THAT is one cute phone! If Verizon get the Veer & the Opal, that is a package I could relate to!!!

Generally disheartening experience at BB. Ended up leaving the TPs running audio samples at full volume (at least that way the BB employees would have to find the volume rocker!)

russ
    I saw the announcement on precentral's homepage and I was wondering do we have any estimate about the sales? It's been one month. Are they that bad?
    What announcement?

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    I believe HP reports their quarterly earnings this Thursday? So you know in the conference call they will be asked how tablet and phone sales are going.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    I believe HP reports their quarterly earnings this Thursday? So you know in the conference call they will be asked how tablet and phone sales are going.
    Kool, thanks for the update, I had this impression that there is a conference call sometime this week, good to know a solid date!

We shall see.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Maybe is Because I live on the West Coast in U.S but They are selling well here. Evreytime I go to Best Buy I see people on the Touchpad display models. Theirs 5 Display models in its own mini section near other tablets. People seem to enjoy them. The rep I talked to actually knew what webOS was. Guess it Just depends on location.
    This might be the closest we'll come to actual numbers. From the earnings call:

"First, sector trends impacting PSG as consumers change habits. The tablet effect is real, and sales of the TouchPad are not meeting expectations."
    "There is a clear movement on the consumer PC space... the tablet effect is real. The TouchPad is not gaining enough traction in the marketplace."
    "We have been tracking webOS... we were successful at launching the software, but we are exploring options to leverage the software in the future. However, our devices were not successful.
    Due to market conditions, continuing to execute in this market space no longer makes sense for HP's shareholders."
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    translation = our devices absolutely bombed and AllthingD were right on the money.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast