Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Well are there any reports that contradict the Global Equities Research memo?
    Quote Originally Posted by alfaverde View Post
    There's a definitive article to cite. 2 whole retailers!

We've all seen the discussions on BestBuy's preparedness for preorders and Tiger Direct isn't even listed by HP as an authorized preorder partner.
    Actually, it goes beyond that. This is one investment group's memo, based on contacting an on-line retailer who didn't promote the product ahead of time, and one brick and morter chain whose salespeople had to be coached by the folks pre-ordering on how to do so. The Global Equities Research quote has then been repeated over and over, as if it's the final word on sales. It's not.

I know, I know, the anti's on here want to believe it's so, but the one memo doesn't make it fact, no matter how often it's repeated.

One place that wasn't "underwhelmed" by pre-orders was HP themselves. They received so many pre orders for the 16gb version that they filled the orders with 32gb versions at no extra cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Well are there any reports that contradict the Global Equities Research memo?
    Probably not. If they are 100% correct in their limited research, it would mean that pre-order sales were "underwhelming" at those two sources.
    Quote Originally Posted by alfaverde View Post
    In this case no I don't agree. If 2 retailers are the depth of their research, I feel the effort is "underwhelming".

Don't get me wrong, I believe prorder numbers were abysmal due to the lack of effort/communication between HP and/or their partners, but the actual research into the numbers seem about as vague as any "postulating" going on here.
    Let me rephrase:

The n is low, but at least there's an n. More information sources would help shed some light on things and I would appreciate a larger sample size before saying anything is definitive.

Let 's not make excuses now for retailers. Save that for when there's a definitive answer. Or better yet, don't make excuses at all. It is what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    One place that wasn't "underwhelmed" by pre-orders was HP themselves. They received so many pre orders for the 16gb version that they filled the orders with 32gb versions at no extra cost.
    it would have been nice to have gotten a 32 for the price of a 16.
    All this useless speculation based on a total lack of hard facts.

Why not just wait a few days (or better some weeks) - then we can approximate some knowledge instead of making numbers up.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    It's not a definitive article, but it's an article from a reputable source. Something like Global Equities Research looking into sales numbers is better than people postulating, don't you agree?
    Actually, Global Equities was also postulating. 2 vendors is not enough for them to have made that claim reliably.

It may be true, but basing that on 2 vendors is still simply a guess.
    There is a fundamental difference, HP was not trying for a big Pre-Order rush, they have repeatedly said it is a marathon, and all their actions point to getting the products (Veer, Touchpad and P3) out before making a huge push.

There market, namely business, is also not prone to pre-order products until they are in the market, unlike the apple fan-boys.

All HP cares about is the yearly sales, or at least the first 3 months, not the first 3 days.

A
    Actually, Global Equities was also postulating. 2 vendors is not enough for them to have made that claim reliably.

It may be true, but basing that on 2 vendors is still simply a guess.
    They said:

“We did a quick check on the customer interest in HP Web OS-based TouchPad Wi-Fi with Tiger Direct and Best Buy (NYSE: BBY [FREE Stock Trend Analysis]),” said Trip Chowdhry, Managing Director of Global Equities Research. “In both cases the converged view is ‘underwhelming.' Only [a] handful [of] pre-orders at Tiger Direct.”

That is the content of the memo. It talked about only the 2 vendors specifically, so they can claim reliably for those 2 vendors, the presales have been "underwhelming."

It does not postulate about how the sales have been outside of those 2 vendors at the time, which is the correct thing to do.

It is what it is, and like I mentioned earlier, more data from other vendors would be greatly appreciated to determine the true sales numbers. But at least this is an n. Readers can make whatever conclusions they want out of this, but the memo talked specifically about one big box retailer and one e-tailer.
    Let me rephrase:

The n is low, but at least there's an n. More information sources would help shed some light on things and I would appreciate a larger sample size before saying anything is definitive.

Let 's not make excuses now for retailers. Save that for when there's a definitive answer. Or better yet, don't make excuses at all. It is what it is.
    I tend to believe the report. I called by mom and cousin Jimmy and neither had pre-ordered a TouchPad. I think that backs up the research findings.
    jtfolden likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by aharmsworth View Post
    There is a fundamental difference, HP was not trying for a big Pre-Order rush, they have repeatedly said it is a marathon, and all their actions point to getting the products (Veer, Touchpad and P3) out before making a huge push.

There market, namely business, is also not prone to pre-order products until they are in the market, unlike the apple fan-boys.

All HP cares about is the yearly sales, or at least the first 3 months, not the first 3 days.

A
    Sure, hp apparent is ordering 400,000 units each month, about 3mil by end of this year, lets check back by then.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by AZBigE View Post
    I tend to believe the report. I called by mom and cousin Jimmy and neither had pre-ordered a TouchPad. I think that backs up the research findings.
    Wow, nice to know your family runs two big electronic stores! Hows business going?

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Since my BestBuy didn't even have one on display at 4:00 PM on launch day, it makes me wonder. If I hadn't forced them by waiting about 20 minutes, it probably still wouldn't be out there. There was even an HP Rep there that didn't seem bothered. As the demo unit finally became available, myself & another original Pre- owner got a bit of a crowd going. Then about 3 or 4 BestBuy sales people became interested...sad.

I was glad to hear other BB stores weren't as bad as mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Wow, nice to know your family runs two big electronic stores! Hows business going?

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Business isn't good. Isn't that the point of the linked article? All I did was back up the survey's findings with a survey of my own. The retailers said that pre-orders were underwhelming. I sampled two people in my network and neither had pre-ordered the TouchPad. This supports the linked article's conclusions.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I guess I care a bit about the overall sales figures but the only one I really care about is the one that I bought. I loooooooooooove it!
    hparsons likes this.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    That only means they didn't make enough 16g for preorder, that said nothing about how many 16g, or 32g they made, or sold.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Do you have the link that proves that statement?
    What it means is that demand outstripped supply which means sales is higher for the 16gb TouchPad than HP estimated it would be. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out that that is a good thing.
    TigerDirect was listed on the pre-order page for business sales but it was in a dark color and so easily missed.
    http://h41112.www4.hp.com/promo/webo...-business.html

The First Act has not started yet, this is just the overture. HP needs not to push this product until they get it optimized. If they push it prematurely and a lot of people end up returning it, those people are lost sales for this product cycle and the channel also will lose enthusiasm. Hopefully they can get it optimized by mid -July, saw on some blog that Office Depot was going to start advertising around that time and I assume the major push won't start until then. Topolsky said in his podcast that Ruby told him many of the bugfixes were already fixed in the version being used at Palm HQ right now, I hope it is so.

They've got that French DJ lined up--should be fun to see all the world celebs touting the product.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    Do you have the link that proves that statement?
    I dont have a link, see above reply by netwrkr9.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    ... It talked about only the 2 vendors specifically, so they can claim reliably for those 2 vendors, the presales have been "underwhelming."

It does not postulate about how the sales have been outside of those 2 vendors at the time, which is the correct thing to do....
    Thank you. We agree on that one. That's basically what I said:
    Probably not. If they are 100% correct in their limited research, it would mean that pre-order sales were "underwhelming" at those two sources.
    Unfortunately, the post that started the whole "underwhelming" discussion was a little more broad, a lot less specific:
    I read preorder number is 'underwhelming'. No sales tho.
    Since the OP talked about sales in general, and the follow up "underwhelming" post wasn't specific, what was one to infer?

I'll agree that Tiger Direct and Best Buy likely had small pre-order numbers. Whether or not those numbers were "underwhelming" (for them) though, is speculation. Both those entities may have been expecting the numbers they got.

In short, I think way too much (by way too many sites) is being read into that short quote.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast