Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bi0tech
  1.    #1  
    To modify some "hidden" WM8958 CODEC settings from the console you can use the below commands using novaterm. I should caution that you should be very careful because you can break something if you set your headphones or the internal speakers to drive beyond their normal operating limits.

A reboot should reset the values to default.

• See what mixer channels are available: "amixer" <enter>. I recommend copying the contents to a text editor window so you can maintain a list of defaults (which are the bottom line of each printed section). The headphones are tied to items relating to "AIF1" and "AIF1DAC1". I haven't explored speakers yet.

• To control volume: amixer set "Headphone" <0..63>

• To control volume boost: amixer set "AIF1 Boost" <0..3>

• To enable/disable "3D Stereo": amixer set "3D Stereo" toggle

• There are settings for an EQ but I haven't had success getting it to work yet. The associated settings appear to be "AIF1DAC1 EQ", "AIF1DAC1 EQ1", "AIF1DAC1 EQ2", "AIF1DAC1 EQ3", "AIF1DAC1 EQ4", "AIF1DAC1 EQ5", "AIF1DAC1 Enhanced EQ". Maybe there's another toggle or channel selection involved?

If anyone discovers any additional useful settings, be sure to share.

Edit: Changed WM8994 to WM8958. The kernel module in use is the WM8994 which is what confused me originally.
    Last edited by timepants; 07/02/2011 at 01:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Thanks so much! It's now just a matter of time before a patch or app is developed to control these settings!
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    The TouchPad has WM8958, a more expensive variant of the WM8994.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    The TouchPad has WM8958, a more expensive variant of the WM8994.
    My mistake, I haven't read a full a teardown report yet. The kernel module it uses is for the WM8994.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Only 2 difference between the two audio chips:

(1) WM8958 has 2x2W amplifier vs. WM8994 has 2x1W amplifier.
    (2) WM8958 has "multiband compressor" and WM8994 doesn't.
    Not sure if anyone has any interest in this topic any longer but figured I'd throw in a tidbit I came across.

To get the EQ to function:

set 'AIF1DAC1 EQ' on

Each EQ channel accepts a value from 0-31 but anything over 24 seems to result in a value wrap of some kind. So...

set 'AIF1DAC1 EQ2' <0-24> [bass/midbass]
    set 'AIF1DAC1 EQ3' <0-24>
    set 'AIF1DAC1 EQ4' <0-24>
    set 'AIF1DAC1 EQ5' <0-24> [treble]
    some great posts in here

hoping this can be used to improve the audio on the to by tweaking some settings around.

My biggest complaint so about the audio on the TP is the low volume particularly in the stock music player. While there is an increased volume patch both light and regular I find it just distorts the audio. Also no EQ was a downer.
    Just a follow up for anyone that watched this. I have an app in the homebrew section that adjusts these controls: TouchVol

(hopefully this is post 5 for linkage)
    greenlaser likes this.
    Nice one man.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Cool, I didn't know the TP had a Wolfson amp. The Voodoo project for Samsung Android phones (Infuse, Galaxy S, etc) was to harness the power of these amps through kernels and apps. Now we can too!
    Guys,my touchpad has gotten infected with the weirdest audio problem to date..its blasting audio through speakers and headphone at the same time,which makes the headphones jack useless..its really annoying that i can't listen to anything without disturbing other people at work..does anyone know how to fix this or ever heard of this problem before ??
    normally, headphone jacks use a special kind of switch that when something is physically making the headphone connection, the speaker connection is not being made. Sounds like warranty repair, to me.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by hale_nathan View Post
    Guys,my touchpad has gotten infected with the weirdest audio problem to date..its blasting audio through speakers and headphone at the same time,which makes the headphones jack useless..its really annoying that i can't listen to anything without disturbing other people at work..does anyone know how to fix this or ever heard of this problem before ??
    Perhaps also try checking the headphone connector is pushed all the way into the socket on your touchpad. I recall (and agree with) a thread talking about this being a tight fit. If that is ok then definitely try another set of phones just in case your original set is at fault. If all that checks out ok then sadly it does seem like a hw fault on the TP.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    normally, headphone jacks use a special kind of switch that when something is physically making the headphone connection, the speaker connection is not being made. Sounds like warranty repair, to me.
    Does your headset jack look like it may have receded a little causing it not to insert the headphones all the way? Have you installed any patches related to audio? Try removing them. What was the last patch or tweak you installed before the problem started? Try removing patches one by one and use your Touchpad to see if it stops. Reboot after each removal. It could also be two patches are not playing nicely together.

A few things to try. Does this happen if you try a different headset?
    crap,when i got the touchpad i didn't had a case so decided to keep the original plastic cover and used a needle to tear part of the plastic to make way for the headphones...so i just look a more close look and a very small part of plastic was stuck in the jack area..removed it and its working fine now..thanks a lot guys
    Quote Originally Posted by bi0tech View Post
    Just a follow up for anyone that watched this. I have an app in the homebrew section that adjusts these controls: TouchVol

Congratulations - this is in some way historic act. After two years finally on webOS EQ and sound settings beyond patches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post
    Cool, I didn't know the TP had a Wolfson amp. The Voodoo project for Samsung Android phones (Infuse, Galaxy S, etc) was to harness the power of these amps through kernels and apps. Now we can too!
    Voodoo sound creator wasn't impressed with Touchpad, and didn't have time to bother with webOS. Anyway, Wolfson can pump some serious sound and I'm happy webOS users can enjoy it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by bi0tech View Post

Thanks Biotech, I'm using this in 3.04 without any problems. It is nice to have all these controls together. 5 band EQ, 3D effects, Boost, and more.