Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51
Like Tree17Likes
  1.    #1  
    Ive played with the touchpad for a while and seen all the review videos...so first things first...most of the comments about the Touchpad's bugs and glitches are true. They happen often enough that they cant be ignored. If you have ever used an iPad you would know that it is possible to have an os that works perfect almost 100% of the time.

    That being said....I have an issue with the weight these things seem to hold on the reviewers results. Yes theres some annoying bugs, but overall the touchpad is responsive and fluid. I feel like the reviewers are harping WAY too much over a few millimeters in thickness, a glossy back, and a few bugs .... things that really mean little once you have gotten used to them. And then they mention taking calls from your pre 3, touch to share, integrated Skype, touchstone charging, and synergy and gloss over them like they are "nice features" ...WHATTTT??? Those are incredible features and I feel should have an equal or better weight to all the negative points in the reviews....sure I gotta deal with a few extra ounces but i dont have to take my phone out of my pocket to answer a call?? Thats what tech is really all about and I feel that lumping the touchpad in with all those generic honeycomb tablets is a HUGE letdown because HP is bringing big innovation here that even the ipad misses out on.

    That being said....I know theres no excuses from HP for the bugs....they had FOREVER to fix them and I know how difficult software development is but before all the nice things were added they should have fixed the core user experience at launch.....theres really no excuse and im sorry to see it have come to this.

    Make it up by announcing the Pre3 already....this is killing me
  2. #2  
    Earth used to be flat it took time to convince its actually round.

    Hey if ipad doesn't have these nice productive and purposeful features then these are not the measuring standards for a product (Not me its reviewers thought process)
  3. #3  
    Yes, reviews no-a-days are getting way to technical. The fact is that we are not naturally technical humans and we don't use our devices in a very technical way. You will notice that the best reviews that people love and come back for more are the one that describe the device from their social prospective and not using a bunch of techno gibber gabber. One of my favorite reviews was done by MobileTechReview on Youtube because she describes it in a more down to earth type of way. For example, the new Engadget editors do not know this and just listed a bunch of specs and said that the iPad was better because of that. Now thousands of people will read their "review" and decide not to like it because the certain specs that have been made important because of Apple (like the screen and such) don't match up. Many reviews are written up that the only specs that matter are those that Apple has made so. Remember before the Rentia display? The screen was hardly a bullet point in reviews until Apple released the first Rentia display. Because of that, it is now important.

    The bottom line is that users don't care about the specs, they care about the experience. Many users have been lead to believe by reviews that the specs are what make up the experience when it is actually a smart part of it. I want reviews that measure the experience and not the specs. This is why I like reviewers like Lisa from MobileTechReview, Noah Kravis, SoilderKnowsBest, and the like because they do state the specs but their reviews consist of using the device and not comparing the specs to how it runs the whole time.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    RoverNole and de_great like this.
  4. dpc
    dpc is offline
    dpc's Avatar
    Posts
    433 Posts
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    #4  
    this is true. Synergy itself is pretty mind blowing. I've been getting a lot of scratching heads asking how I was able to sync all my contacts and photos so seamlessly.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by spork141 View Post
    Ive played with the touchpad for a while and seen all the review videos...so first things first...most of the comments about the Touchpad's bugs and glitches are true. They happen often enough that they cant be ignored. If you have ever used an iPad you would know that it is possible to have an os that works perfect almost 100% of the time.

    That being said....I have an issue with the weight these things seem to hold on the reviewers results. Yes theres some annoying bugs, but overall the touchpad is responsive and fluid. I feel like the reviewers are harping WAY too much over a few millimeters in thickness, a glossy back, and a few bugs .... things that really mean little once you have gotten used to them. And then they mention taking calls from your pre 3, touch to share, integrated Skype, touchstone charging, and synergy and gloss over them like they are "nice features" ...WHATTTT??? Those are incredible features and I feel should have an equal or better weight to all the negative points in the reviews....sure I gotta deal with a few extra ounces but i dont have to take my phone out of my pocket to answer a call?? Thats what tech is really all about and I feel that lumping the touchpad in with all those generic honeycomb tablets is a HUGE letdown because HP is bringing big innovation here that even the ipad misses out on.

    That being said....I know theres no excuses from HP for the bugs....they had FOREVER to fix them and I know how difficult software development is but before all the nice things were added they should have fixed the core user experience at launch.....theres really no excuse and im sorry to see it have come to this.

    Make it up by announcing the Pre3 already....this is killing me
    Well said. Reviewers seem to have a tough time balancing the positives and negatives. Too much nitpicking and not enough emphasis on differentiating features.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by empathyrus View Post
    Well said. Reviewers seem to have a tough time balancing the positives and negatives. Too much nitpicking and not enough emphasis on differentiating features.
    Its just like the News networks today also. We don't ever hear about world peace or really anything good on the news anymore. Just accidents, killings, robberies.... This such a negative world.. #MiniRantOver
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    Its just like the News networks today also. We don't ever hear about world peace or really anything good on the news anymore. Just accidents, killings, robberies.... This such a negative world.. #MiniRantOver
    You know Rennat, I would love to agree with you, but in this case, I think theres something else going on here. Most product reviews are based on a reference point. Tv reviews for example have been based on the Pioneer Kuro for a long time. So if a TV can get to that picture quality then it is also great TV.

    The tablet world uses the Ipad for a reference point, and for good reason. They see its fluid OS, their huge app store, the build quality etc....if a tablet can meet those expectations then its a good tablet.

    The problem with this is that tablets are not tvs. TVs are judged on how well they can reproduce the original intended picture. THeres a solid criteria that few would argue. If you can reproduce the original picture to the dot then you should be able to tweak it to your liking. Thats a good TV because everyone could be happy.

    But where is this reference point in the tablet world? There is none. We dont know why the iPads feature set defines a good tablet. We just assume so because its successful then its the best.

    I am a mobile businessman. I need email, I need calendar, I need a browser that will fully render every site I go to, I need to multitask (ALOT), and I need to do this all efficiently. Sure ill play some games and read an ebook on the train, but its really the productivity I need.

    Isn't it a no brainer that the Touchpad is right for me over the ipad? Shouldn't the reviews of the touchpad shine in my world?

    I think tablets need to be judged on what it brings to the table and to whom. If the product pushes the tablet world's bar higher in anyway, and is functional and practical, it should receive solid reviews, even if there are a few issues that do not measure up to the ipads holy standard.

    Even with a few early glitches and issues, the touchpad pushes the bar higher than any Honeycomb tablet even comes close to. FOr that it deserves praise.
    65fastback, Rennat and rretsiem like this.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by spork141 View Post
    You know Rennat, I would love to agree with you, but in this case, I think theres something else going on here. Most product reviews are based on a reference point. Tv reviews for example have been based on the Pioneer Kuro for a long time. So if a TV can get to that picture quality then it is also great TV.

    The tablet world uses the Ipad for a reference point, and for good reason. They see its fluid OS, their huge app store, the build quality etc....if a tablet can meet those expectations then its a good tablet.

    The problem with this is that tablets are not tvs. TVs are judged on how well they can reproduce the original intended picture. THeres a solid criteria that few would argue. If you can reproduce the original picture to the dot then you should be able to tweak it to your liking. Thats a good TV because everyone could be happy.

    But where is this reference point in the tablet world? There is none. We dont know why the iPads feature set defines a good tablet. We just assume so because its successful then its the best.

    I am a mobile businessman. I need email, I need calendar, I need a browser that will fully render every site I go to, I need to multitask (ALOT), and I need to do this all efficiently. Sure ill play some games and read an ebook on the train, but its really the productivity I need.

    Isn't it a no brainer that the Touchpad is right for me over the ipad? Shouldn't the reviews of the touchpad shine in my world?

    I think tablets need to be judged on what it brings to the table and to whom. If the product pushes the tablet world's bar higher in anyway, and is functional and practical, it should receive solid reviews, even if there are a few issues that do not measure up to the ipads holy standard.

    Even with a few early glitches and issues, the touchpad pushes the bar higher than any Honeycomb tablet even comes close to. FOr that it deserves praise.
    Actually, since the TouchPad is incapable of natively editing documents, it is still not a suitable business tablet. Even if you ignore the fact that the iPad 2 is the benchmark because of its quality of construction and fluid operation, there is no denying the problems found by reviewers in their period of usage. There is a topic in this very forum about the TouchPad randomly restarting for example. Does that sound friendly for business work?

    webOS is intuitive and webOS 3 does indeed make legitimately beneficial improvements to what was there in 1.x and 2.x. Unfortunately, 3.x is insufficiently optimized when placed into comparison with the other market leaders. It's not even that it lacks features; it's that it experiences stuttering, freezing, and complete restarts, the same problem which plagued the Motorola Xoom and ultimately doomed at as a serious competitor.

    As for the comment about pushing the bar further than any other Android tablet, you have the Galaxy Tab 10.1, a tablet that actually matches the build quality of the iPad 2 and brings with it vast improvements in speed (especially by comparison to the TouchPad). If you want a more business friendly tablet, you have the Asus Transformer which can be used with a keyboard dock, containing a full keyboard, battery, complement of ports, and laptop hinge for mobile use. The keyboard dock is actually $10 cheaper than the Touchstone and keyboard for the TouchPad, boosts the battery life by near double, and functions with the native document creating/editing suite found on the tablet.

    The TouchPad is an unfinished product that is being bought on the premise of an Apple bias and future updates; a similar promise which befell the Pre-, mind you.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpora View Post
    Actually, since the TouchPad is incapable of natively editing documents, it is still not a suitable business tablet. Even if you ignore the fact that the iPad 2 is the benchmark because of its quality of construction and fluid operation, there is no denying the problems found by reviewers in their period of usage. There is a topic in this very forum about the TouchPad randomly restarting for example. Does that sound friendly for business work?

    webOS is intuitive and webOS 3 does indeed make legitimately beneficial improvements to what was there in 1.x and 2.x. Unfortunately, 3.x is insufficiently optimized when placed into comparison with the other market leaders. It's not even that it lacks features; it's that it experiences stuttering, freezing, and complete restarts, the same problem which plagued the Motorola Xoom and ultimately doomed at as a serious competitor.

    As for the comment about pushing the bar further than any other Android tablet, you have the Galaxy Tab 10.1, a tablet that actually matches the build quality of the iPad 2 and brings with it vast improvements in speed (especially by comparison to the TouchPad). If you want a more business friendly tablet, you have the Asus Transformer which can be used with a keyboard dock, containing a full keyboard, battery, complement of ports, and laptop hinge for mobile use. The keyboard dock is actually $10 cheaper than the Touchstone and keyboard for the TouchPad, boosts the battery life by near double, and functions with the native document creating/editing suite found on the tablet.

    The TouchPad is an unfinished product that is being bought on the premise of an Apple bias and future updates; a similar promise which befell the Pre-, mind you.

    Corpora, in my original post I acknowledge the Tocuhpads bugs as being inexcusable.....especially given the amount of time HP had to get this out. But we all know the software issues will be fixed with software updates soon enough. We know the document editing will be fixed soon enough. Most of us are in the tablet market for the long haul. I dont need every bell and whistle on day one if I know it'll be coming in time.

    But your comments echo reviewer's comments about a product that brings so much new to the tablet world that competitors dont. Can I get a card view in Android? Does Android have synergy? Does android answer your phone calls and MMS over bluetooth? Any wireless charging in Android? No...you get a few extra hours of battery life.....you get a few millimeters less thickness....all small things when you campare the big features WebOs brings to the table....and thats my issue....those are the things that should really drive reviews....not a glossy back thatll be covered with a case anyway.

    Im not arguing with you BTW...Im a pretty frustrated webOs fan....the touchpad should have been perfect with how long its been in development. But even in its current state its a lot more a complete device to me than its competitors. And I hope that one day SOON itll be that perfect tablet I am waiting for.
    RoverNole likes this.
  10. #10  
    On a side note about the updates. . . what excites me is I don't have to wait for Verizon to release the updates. The updates come when HP releases them.

    ET
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    On a side note about the updates. . . what excites me is I don't have to wait for Verizon to release the updates. The updates come when HP releases them.

    ET
    I hear you brother! Now we just have to wait for Verizon to release the Pre 3
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by spork141 View Post
    Corpora, in my original post I acknowledge the Tocuhpads bugs as being inexcusable.....especially given the amount of time HP had to get this out. But we all know the software issues will be fixed with software updates soon enough. We know the document editing will be fixed soon enough. Most of us are in the tablet market for the long haul. I dont need every bell and whistle on day one if I know it'll be coming in time.

    But your comments echo reviewer's comments about a product that brings so much new to the tablet world that competitors dont. Can I get a card view in Android? Does Android have synergy? Does android answer your phone calls and MMS over bluetooth? Any wireless charging in Android? No...you get a few extra hours of battery life.....you get a few millimeters less thickness....all small things when you campare the big features WebOs brings to the table....and thats my issue....those are the things that should really drive reviews....not a glossy back thatll be covered with a case anyway.

    Im not arguing with you BTW...Im a pretty frustrated webOs fan....the touchpad should have been perfect with how long its been in development. But even in its current state its a lot more a complete device to me than its competitors. And I hope that one day SOON itll be that perfect tablet I am waiting for.
    I hate to be the one that says this but synergy and card view the average person could care less about. Webos has had this for years and it still nearly died.

    The only thing i could see being a help is the answering calls/ messages over the tablet which needs for one to have a Webos phone. Arguably If i used my google Voice number as my main one i could do everything you talked about then and there.

    Also extra battery life, a keyboard dock, and thinness matter as its the first thing people see.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    I hate to be the one that says this but synergy and card view the average person could care less about. Webos has had this for years and it still nearly died.

    The only thing i could see being a help is the answering calls/ messages over the tablet which needs for one to have a Webos phone. Arguably If i used my google Voice number as my main one i could do everything you talked about then and there.

    Also extra battery life, a keyboard dock, and thinness matter as its the first thing people see.
    shingi, Card view is by far my favorite feature. I cant tell you how many times Ive left a card to open a browser to look up something and then go back. Without card view there is no webos to me.

    And I think you, like most reviews are approaching this conversation from a "would customers buy this over a XXX" point of view. Picking it up for the first time, noticing the construction and weight, price, etc....and if thats the criteria for the reviews....then the reviews are spot on. And HP failed in every way.

    But I think reviews should be based on "is it a better tablet for you in your everyday life"...and in that regards the touchpad shines for me.....and im sure many others....Sure its a few millimeters thicker than most tablets....but does that make it "too thick"??? its a few ounces heavier but is it "too heavy"??....its battery is a few less hours but is that an unacceptable battery life??? Thats my issue....the touchpad seems like a pretty great product .... and it wont stack up to the competition in those ways...but thats what webos is for....its a much better OS...which makes it a better product for me
    RoverNole likes this.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by spork141 View Post
    shingi, Card view is by far my favorite feature. I cant tell you how many times Ive left a card to open a browser to look up something and then go back. Without card view there is no webos to me.

    And I think you, like most reviews are approaching this conversation from a "would customers buy this over a XXX" point of view. Picking it up for the first time, noticing the construction and weight, price, etc....and if thats the criteria for the reviews....then the reviews are spot on. And HP failed in every way.

    But I think reviews should be based on "is it a better tablet for you in your everyday life"...and in that regards the touchpad shines for me.....and im sure many others....Sure its a few millimeters thicker than most tablets....but does that make it "too thick"??? its a few ounces heavier but is it "too heavy"??....its battery is a few less hours but is that an unacceptable battery life??? Thats my issue....the touchpad seems like a pretty great product .... and it wont stack up to the competition in those ways...but thats what webos is for....its a much better OS...which makes it a better product for me
    The Touchpad is a great product and well designed (i prefer the galaxy tab) and it should be able to fit your everyday needs. The problem is so can ios and HC and you have to show what the Tpad does better than those two. Hell even the playbook.

    For myself im going android but for others i reccomend the touchpad.
  15. saketh321's Avatar
    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #15  
    I bought the touchpad yesterday... My first impression was it looks so nice and damn did that fade fast. The thing lags so much its plain annoying. I dont know if anyone else besjdes me is getting these random pauses of 5-15 seconds when switching from one card to another. The entire card just freezes
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by spork141 View Post
    Corpora, in my original post I acknowledge the Tocuhpads bugs as being inexcusable.....especially given the amount of time HP had to get this out. But we all know the software issues will be fixed with software updates soon enough. We know the document editing will be fixed soon enough. Most of us are in the tablet market for the long haul. I dont need every bell and whistle on day one if I know it'll be coming in time.

    But your comments echo reviewer's comments about a product that brings so much new to the tablet world that competitors dont. Can I get a card view in Android? Does Android have synergy? Does android answer your phone calls and MMS over bluetooth? Any wireless charging in Android? No...you get a few extra hours of battery life.....you get a few millimeters less thickness....all small things when you campare the big features WebOs brings to the table....and thats my issue....those are the things that should really drive reviews....not a glossy back thatll be covered with a case anyway.

    Im not arguing with you BTW...Im a pretty frustrated webOs fan....the touchpad should have been perfect with how long its been in development. But even in its current state its a lot more a complete device to me than its competitors. And I hope that one day SOON itll be that perfect tablet I am waiting for.
    I am sick and tired of people telling that honeycomb doesn't have card view. It does, push button and you have all of apps you have used or open. Android doesn't have stucks for Pit's sake!

    Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by spork141 View Post
    You know Rennat, I would love to agree with you, but in this case, I think theres something else going on here. Most product reviews are based on a reference point. Tv reviews for example have been based on the Pioneer Kuro for a long time. So if a TV can get to that picture quality then it is also great TV.

    The tablet world uses the Ipad for a reference point, and for good reason. They see its fluid OS, their huge app store, the build quality etc....if a tablet can meet those expectations then its a good tablet.

    The problem with this is that tablets are not tvs. TVs are judged on how well they can reproduce the original intended picture. THeres a solid criteria that few would argue. If you can reproduce the original picture to the dot then you should be able to tweak it to your liking. Thats a good TV because everyone could be happy.

    But where is this reference point in the tablet world? There is none. We dont know why the iPads feature set defines a good tablet. We just assume so because its successful then its the best.

    I am a mobile businessman. I need email, I need calendar, I need a browser that will fully render every site I go to, I need to multitask (ALOT), and I need to do this all efficiently. Sure ill play some games and read an ebook on the train, but its really the productivity I need.

    Isn't it a no brainer that the Touchpad is right for me over the ipad? Shouldn't the reviews of the touchpad shine in my world?

    I think tablets need to be judged on what it brings to the table and to whom. If the product pushes the tablet world's bar higher in anyway, and is functional and practical, it should receive solid reviews, even if there are a few issues that do not measure up to the ipads holy standard.

    Even with a few early glitches and issues, the touchpad pushes the bar higher than any Honeycomb tablet even comes close to. FOr that it deserves praise.
    I actually completely agree with you. The problem is that there just isn't a solid measurement for tablets so what reviewers use is the iPad2 as the bar to bet. If it doesn't have everything that the iPad2 has then it is a major falter. Just like how mobile screens were hardly a major bullet point in reviews until the Rentia Display came out, then it mattered. What I was kinda referencing was something like Toposky's review at thisismynext. From the review, you couldn't really tell that he placed it in 2nd place in the tablet race. He talked about the negatives and the positives but the bulk of the review was still negative. It wasn't until I listened to their podcast that I really understood that he put the TouchPad over any honeycomb tablet and the Playbook, meaning it is runner up.

    I guess I wish that people could praise companies for what they do right a little more.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by spork141 View Post
    I am a mobile businessman. I need email, I need calendar, I need a browser that will fully render every site I go to, I need to multitask (ALOT), and I need to do this all efficiently. Sure ill play some games and read an ebook on the train, but its really the productivity I need.

    Isn't it a no brainer that the Touchpad is right for me over the ipad? Shouldn't the reviews of the touchpad shine in my world?
    No, since everything you just mentioned is better on an iPad (except, possibly switching between running apps). I too use my iPad for mostly business reasons. The ability to edit docs, spreadsheets, presentations, join webex conferences, edit corporate database, wirelessly sync to my GTD todo list, etc. just makes it a better business option.

    I like the Touchpad (though it is way to heavy). It might be my 2nd favorite tablet right now. But lets not exaggerate.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    No, since everything you just mentioned is better on an iPad (except, possibly switching between running apps). I too use my iPad for mostly business reasons. The ability to edit docs, spreadsheets, presentations, join webex conferences, edit corporate database, wirelessly sync to my GTD todo list, etc. just makes it a better business option.

    I like the Touchpad (though it is way to heavy). It might be my 2nd favorite tablet right now. But lets not exaggerate.
    Way too heavy? I still can't believe anyone is saying this. It weighs pretty much what the iPad 1 weighed and there was no uproar over that.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by southflguy View Post
    Way too heavy? I still can't believe anyone is saying this. It weighs pretty much what the iPad 1 weighed and there was no uproar over that.
    There were plenty of complaints about the weight of the original iPad. Go back and check, you might be surprised.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions