Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    Yes, reviews no-a-days are getting way to technical. The fact is that we are not naturally technical humans and we don't use our devices in a very technical way.
    I think I disagree with this but I'm not entirely sure to what degree.

I think the ubiquity of things like tablets and smartphones are making everyone more tech savvy than ever before. 15 years ago, we'd have to figure out which serial port to plug a modem into, fire up a terminal app, dial a phone number with it, then find the right transfer protocol to download an app. These days we just press a button. When technology evolves to the point where complicated processes are streamlined and simplified, the biggest barrier is removed and I think it just generates even more interest from people that would otherwise not care at all.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post
    I am sick and tired of people telling that honeycomb doesn't have card view. It does, push button and you have all of apps you have used or open. Android doesn't have stucks for Pit's sake!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    TK, I took a look on youtube and your right..honeycomb does have a type of card view. Seems like apples app switcher taken up a notch. That being said WebOs version is still more fleshed out. Easy to open and close apps and organize them. Webos always gives you a visual of where each card is arranged in your deck.

The honeycomb version is more like a "show you whats running with a preview"....sure better than IOS but still not enough for webos
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post

I think the ubiquity of things like tablets and smartphones are making everyone more tech savvy than ever before. 15 years ago, we'd have to figure out which serial port to plug a modem into, fire up a terminal app, dial a phone number with it, then find the right transfer protocol to download an app. These days we just press a button. When technology evolves to the point where complicated processes are streamlined and simplified, the biggest barrier is removed and I think it just generates even more interest from people that would otherwise not care at all.
    I think Rannat is trying to say that humans want to interact with technology the same way they would interact with real objects. When the touchscreen evolved it finally gave us the ability to bridge the tech world with our natural instincts. Webos you move cards like objects and flick them away when your done. I think apple defined this but webos takes it a step further.

But these things dont really bleed into reviews. In reviews they mostly take a look at the tech.. Processors, speed, bulk, graphics tests etc....theres no measure that says "THe touchpad is an easy tablet to interact with"....it might be mentioed but it never seems to help the score.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    There were plenty of complaints about the weight of the original iPad. Go back and check, you might be surprised.
    Well I can say that I owned an iPad 1 and now own an iPad 2 and a TouchPad (and dabbled with the Xoom for a few weeks before I returned it). Honestly I cannot tell the difference in weight between the iPad 2 and the TouchPad. They essentially feel the same to me (and no I'm not a big guy with overgrown muscles). Obviously the thickness is more apparent but even that isn't a big deal. This is coming from someone who is a Mac person since I was a kid. I only work on Macs, have an iPhone and obviously iPads. But I also firmly believe that the TouchPad is far better than any Android tablet out there. At this point no, I don't think it's better than the iPad 2 but I do think the OS is better. I've just seen review after review focus on small details such as weight and not give enough time to multitasking where the OS shines. It's a beautiful OS and hopefully HP can correct these issues soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by southflguy View Post
    Well I can say that I owned an iPad 1 and now own an iPad 2 and a TouchPad (and dabbled with the Xoom for a few weeks before I returned it). Honestly I cannot tell the difference in weight between the iPad 2 and the TouchPad. They essentially feel the same to me (and no I'm not a big guy with overgrown muscles). Obviously the thickness is more apparent but even that isn't a big deal. This is coming from someone who is a Mac person since I was a kid. I only work on Macs, have an iPhone and obviously iPads. But I also firmly believe that the TouchPad is far better than any Android tablet out there. At this point no, I don't think it's better than the iPad 2 but I do think the OS is better. I've just seen review after review focus on small details such as weight and not give enough time to multitasking where the OS shines. It's a beautiful OS and hopefully HP can correct these issues soon.
    Well, I disagree. The ergonomics and weight of the iPad 2 make it far easier to hold than the touchpad. That of course is my opinion (and that of most of the websites that have reviewed the Touchpad).

As for the OS, I guess the app switching might be better. However, I wonder if most people care. I multitask all the time on my iPad 2. It takes just as many taps and swipes to move between apps as the Touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by spork141 View Post
    The honeycomb version is more like a "show you whats running with a preview"....sure better than IOS but still not enough for webos
    Why do I need to see whats running?
  7.    #27  
    Huh?
    "Huh#2?"

Well, I disagree. The ergonomics and weight of the iPad 2 make it far easier to hold than the touchpad. That of course is my opinion (and that of most of the websites that have reviewed the Touchpad).

As for the OS, I guess the app switching might be better. However, I wonder if most people care. I multitask all the time on my iPad 2. It takes just as many taps and swipes to move between apps as the Touchpad.
    Do you care on a desktop? The whole term "windows" is based on multi-tasking and of course that whole history. I posted somewhere else that to me the multi-tasking capability is core and being UNDER estimated IMHO. I load 3-4 web-pages on my pre, leave them up and when I get a minute or two, read them throughout the, which does not interfere with checking email, calling etc. Now, before you even say it, I know you can do much of the same on OsX and Android, but you have to remember what you had going and take a minute to catch back up. With your desktop/laptop, you see the tabs along the top and on WebOs you swipe left and right and see in a few flicks not to mention having things stacked that are similar.

Bottom line, to me arguing that multi-tasking is no big deal is like saying that it was no big deal on desktops/laptops. FWIW.

Plus, your saying that the average consumer will be articulate enough to notice five ounces when holding the devices, but are not going to notice the multi-tasking difference. Doesn't make sense to me. Weight matters about zilch to me. How long are people going to be holding it anyways. If your on a plane, theres a tray table, desk at work or just your lap. Sure its made to be more mobile than a laptop, but whos plans on walking around with this thing, or even standing for a long time? Maybe a phone I guess. I plan on holding mine (someday) as little as possible, so 5 oz is completely insignificant. Just me though.
    Last edited by Spitfire11; 07/03/2011 at 11:12 PM.

So for the people who play games all the time, and then can't pause the game to do something else, do you think they care? Cause I do.

It's not that you can't "multi-tab" on all of the other platforms while it saves your state and then needs to be refreshed, but what makes webOS better is that it is true multi tasking, and it's just more fluid to handle and use.
  11.    #31  
    Multitasking means you can do more than one task at a time...keyword "YOU" can do more than one task at a time....not your tablet....having a tablet run background apps or using an app switcher is not true multitasking, because once you open another app you have lost all concept of whats doing what. It all just disappears.

Webos lets you decide which apps run and which have to stop running...it lets you rearrange your desktop and keep it organized....if you close your eyes when running a game, you could probably know to the right is your browser card loading precentral, and a stack to your left is an unfinished email. Before you even swipe up YOU know where your going to go and what your going to see and then do...

THAT is true multitasking...
    Sapient2k7 and axthereo like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
    Do you care on a desktop? The whole term "windows" is based on multi-tasking and of course that whole history.
    I sure do. My desktop is hooked up to two monitors. I can also position my windows to show multiple apps at any time. Cant do that on the Touchpad or iPad. I only get to see one app at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    So for the people who play games all the time, and then can't pause the game to do something else, do you think they care? Cause I do.

It's not that you can't "multi-tab" on all of the other platforms while it saves your state and then needs to be refreshed, but what makes webOS better is that it is true multi tasking, and it's just more fluid to handle and use.
    My games or apps dont need to be refreshed on the iPad. Have you ever tried one out?
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post
    "Huh#2?"

still haven't answered the question though.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post

Yes, what i meant is that we don't pick up our Touchpad and have to worry about serial ports anymore. We pick it up and tap a browser icon to go to google. We aren't worrying about what type of Wifi we have (a/b/g/n....) we just connect it to our router. Alot of regular consumers don't even know what Wifi b/g/n even means. They just know Wifi is the internet and thats how simple it has to be.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  16.    #36  
    still haven't answered the question though.
    I still dont know what your talking about....what is your question....can you clairify
    Quote Originally Posted by spork141 View Post
    I still dont know what your talking about....what is your question....can you clairify
    Its not a hard question...Why do you need to see a list of apps that are running on your TouchPad? Lets say I want to use my calculator, what does it matter if it "is running" or not in the background? Cant I still just tap the calculator icon?

If your argument is that the card system makes it easier to switch between recently used apps, then I would probably agree.
    Seeing multiple apps running makes it easier to do searching while doing other things. So if i'm emailing and I need to get info from a contact or contacts, I can have 2 contact cards open, and switch back and forth between them and my draft email with minimal effort. Or if I need to search something in a web browser and want to copy a link, I can switch back and forth between the two quickly. Or I can see pop up notifications while i'm web browsing without having to switch to an email program or facebook app.. I can see whats going on while i'm doing something else and then decide if I want to reply to a message right away or forget about it till later, all while surfing or writing another email to someone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Seeing multiple apps running makes it easier to do searching while doing other things. So if i'm emailing and I need to get info from a contact or contacts, I can have 2 contact cards open, and switch back and forth between them and my draft email with minimal effort. Or if I need to search something in a web browser and want to copy a link, I can switch back and forth between the two quickly. Or I can see pop up notifications while i'm web browsing without having to switch to an email program or facebook app.. I can see whats going on while i'm doing something else and then decide if I want to reply to a message right away or forget about it till later, all while surfing or writing another email to someone else.
    Finally a good answer. However, you are only really seeing one app at a time. If you are typing an email and want to get info from a contact, you need to leave your email client and switch over to your contacts. You can do this whether you contact list is open first or not. If you argument is the card system makes it easier to switch between apps, then I will agree.

I think what Apple is thinking, is that the user (most of the time) shouldn't concern themselves if an app is "running" or not. If you want to switch from your email client to Angry Birds, just click on the Angry Birds icon.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    The difference in weight isn't much. When you put a leather case or a folio with keyboard around the iPad v1 and 2, that 5 oz becomes irrelevant. Why? Because it's now 2-3lbs.

Not to be mean here, but more humorous, if the weight is a problem, grab some 2lb dumb bells, or the tablet itself and start lifting it. I betcha, with repetition and some strength exercises, in a week time, you can overcome, that 5oz difference. You can do

No, since everything you just mentioned is better on an iPad (except, possibly switching between running apps). I too use my iPad for mostly business reasons. The ability to edit docs, spreadsheets, presentations, join webex conferences, edit corporate database, wirelessly sync to my GTD todo list, etc. just makes it a better business option.

I like the Touchpad (though it is way to heavy). It might be my 2nd favorite tablet right now. But lets not exaggerate.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast