Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    I feel that the TouchPad is still a beta product but I would love to have something else with webos to play with other than my pre (-). I just don't know if paying for the TouchPad right now will be beneficial or should I wait for all early adopters, of whom I believe are really beta testers, and HP to work out the kinks? Also might be a chance for discounts that might come into light in the future.
    IcerC likes this.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Never buy technology if you have that view point, all technology is in a never ending upgrade cycle these days
    Are you looking for someone to talk you into it? Just watch the videos, read some articles and make a decision. This isn't life changing, it's just a computer.
    We have already few threads discussing that question. People already have defined view on that matter - some of them want to be early adopters and some of them want to wait rebates and updates.
  5.    #5  
    I guess I was wondering if it's worth getting it NOW. I don't mind waiting on the TouchPad to be improved upon. What I would really like is another phone but I don't have hopes for that happening any time soon. The TouchPad on the other hand is what I just wanted to get as a secondary webos device. I just am not sure about getting it now and beta test it or wait for the "coming updates" to get it. Just looking for opinions but waiting seems to be what I am steering towards at the moment. Thanks.
    I'm on my BestBuy's TouchPad right now and this thing is amazing! After getting some hands on time with it I can tell you it is a very beneficial product. Yes, a few things here and there are a little slow but it is a truly great.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maleoutkast View Post
    I feel that the TouchPad is still a beta product but I would love to have something else with webos to play with other than my pre (-). I just don't know if paying for the TouchPad right now will be beneficial or should I wait for all early adopters, of whom I believe are really beta testers, and HP to work out the kinks? Also might be a chance for discounts that might come into light in the future.
    Your questions are valid but not the subject of the thread.
    If you are earning money then you better not be asking this question. Nobody wants to pay to be a beta tester. As per your desire to play with another webOS device, make a list of things that you are going to use on Touchpad, go to Bestbuy for testing it out. Make your own judgment on whether to buy it or not.
    darkzone likes this.
    Oh, it is kinda life changing. My PrPrPr&#$275$;'$s$ $battery$ $life$ $has$ $suddenly$ $become$ $way$ $better$! $And$ $I$ $am$ $happy$ $to$ $Beta$ $test$ $it$. $On$ $the$ $waiting$ $point$, $well$ $all$ $the$ $apps$ $may$ $then$ $work$, $we$ $may$ $have$ $patches$ $and$ $maybe$ $the$ $price$ $will$ $drop$. $However$ $you$ $will$ $also$ $lose$ $the$ $$50$ $discount$ $as$ $well$.
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    no product is Final now a days. With software upgrades the whole exp can change. Even with apple you are a beta tester.. The only thing is is is about 7 years older than webos. So it has more polish, but many More limitations... At the end of the day if the TP meets ure needs you wont be disappointed. Its great, I'm typing on it now!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  10.    #10  
    As always, you guys are great at helping out. I think i will wait till the last week of the $50 rebate and go purchase it. It's not really waiting but I wouldn't mind seeing if there are any accessory bundles or the like to go with it. As for the beta testing, I see your point. I also waited a couple of months before picking up the Pre (-) and it worked well for me. Thanks a whole bunch guys and enjoy your 4th of July weekend.
    HP is taking a chance with webos. You should too. You know they will make it better and better.
    If you enjoy webOS and want to contribute to its growth buy it, if not dont. The iphone took off because enough people decided to be beta testers. how else would an unproven, 2G device with far fewer applications than its competitors grow to what it is now? Quite frankly, such is the tech industry.

Besides, as it stands the touchpad is a solid device, there is very little that can't be done with the available apps and/or the browser.
    How long do you think it takes to make an operating system "right". is windows "right"? OSX? Linux?
    What makes and OS right? These things are constantly changing and improving. If I thought iOS was right, I would have an ipad, but imo the pros of webOS 3.0 outway the cons and make it a more desireable OS. Others may feel the same way about iOS or any other OS for that matter. But all of them are far from "perfect" that's why the build numbers are always increasing...
    If you are genuinely looking for an opinion, I'm gonna give you the straight up answer you are asking for. No. If it feels unfinished, no matter how much you love the idea of it, you will be unhappy paying for an unfinished product.

For now, the reviews are mixed, and almost all of them feel the device was rushed to market, that not enough consideration was given to the design with regard to materials and thickness, and battery life is substandard. The good, is that all say that WebOS is the true #2 OS compared to the IOS, which is actually a complement, considering how unknown WebOS has been.

My advice? If you need/want a tablet, get an iPad for now. It's very polished, is an established standard, has a huge support base, and 10s of thousands of apps to choose from. If you want to economize, find a deal on an iPad 1. If you want cards multi-tasking, jailbreak it and install multi-flow, which mimics WebOS cards. If you are patient, wait till the fall and download IOS5, which will incorporate a cards-like multi-tasking function into the OS. The whole "synergy" thing is already there. And, you will definitely get 10 hours of battery time, even with WiFi running constantly.

It doesn't have to be the last word for you on the Touchpad. You can revisit it when it's time for your next device, assuming they have ramped up their game.

Again, this is just my opinion.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    fwinst likes this.
    you dont know anything about beta testing do you lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Wait for product to mature, apps to appear, price to drop.

Why rush? You have a webOS device, you know most of it already.

Obviously, if you have enough money laying around you don't really care, sure, go ahead. Standing in the front has risks, but also has its rewards. If money is not an issue, go ahead.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    What advantages?
    for me its not about 'advantages', its about preferences. i prefer webos synergy and the way it allows 3rd party services into the core over being funneled into apples services.

I prefer a browser that can view websites as they are intended instead of having to download a bunch of apps to fill in the gaps. Others may prefer apps... to each his own.

I prefer webOS multitasking solution to all of the competitors because it makes it quick and easy to reference multiple sources at once and organize my work flow.

I prefer a the WebOS homebrew scene to the competition, its easier to get into than android, and its actually ok'd by the manufacturer, unlike apple.

preferences, not advantages.
    As always, you guys are great at helping out. I think i will wait till the last week of the $50 rebate and go purchase it. It's not really waiting but I wouldn't mind seeing if there are any accessory bundles or the like to go with it. As for the beta testing, I see your point. I also waited a couple of months before picking up the Pre (-) and it worked well for me. Thanks a whole bunch guys and enjoy your 4th of July weekend.
    since most retail places have 30-day price match, youve got nothing to lose by purchasing it now
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Wait it out. Putting your money into what's a sure thing is usually smarter than putting your money into something that may or may not pan out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    Wait it out. Putting your money into what's a sure thing is usually smarter than putting your money into something that may or may not pan out.
    with great risk comes the potential for great reward

with little risk comes the potential for little gain
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    hparsons likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast