Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    Wait it out. Putting your money into what's a sure thing is usually smarter than putting your money into something that may or may not pan out.
    but if everyone had this outlook, nothing would ever pan out.
    Quote Originally Posted by maleoutkast View Post
    I feel that the TouchPad is still a beta product but I would love to have something else with webos to play with other than my pre (-). I just don't know if paying for the TouchPad right now will be beneficial or should I wait for all early adopters, of whom I believe are really beta testers, and HP to work out the kinks? Also might be a chance for discounts that might come into light in the future.
    If you feel it's a beta product, you shouldn't get it.

BTW, it's not a beta product, so your feelings are misplaced. But, if I believed it wasn't worth the money, I wouldn't get one.

And yes, almost certainly there will be discounts in the future. As products get older, that happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    How long do you think it takes to make an operating system "right". is windows "right"? OSX? Linux?
    What makes and OS right? These things are constantly changing and improving. If I thought iOS was right, I would have an ipad, but imo the pros of webOS 3.0 outway the cons and make it a more desireable OS. Others may feel the same way about iOS or any other OS for that matter. But all of them are far from "perfect" that's why the build numbers are always increasing...
    By the examples you're asking about, WebOS is "right" now. Both of those OS' occasionally freeze up, occasionally have lags, and are not bullet-proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    What advantages? How can they release a product for 600 that can't open a PowerPoint and can't edit a document. What advantages does Webos have over competition? I can get a netbook for half the price that can do a lot more.
    Factually incorrect. I've edited documents with my TouchPad.
    for me its not about 'advantages', its about preferences. i prefer webos synergy and the way it allows 3rd party services into the core over being funneled into apples services.

I prefer a browser that can view websites as they are intended instead of having to download a bunch of apps to fill in the gaps. Others may prefer apps... to each his own.

I prefer webOS multitasking solution to all of the competitors because it makes it quick and easy to reference multiple sources at once and organize my work flow.

I prefer a the WebOS homebrew scene to the competition, its easier to get into than android, and its actually ok'd by the manufacturer, unlike apple.

preferences, not advantages.
    I have to admit, your subsequent posts give me a different attitude about your original post (but I still say; no, you shouldn't pay to be a beta tester. No one should pay to be a beta tester).

So, you've got these preferences. Now the question becomes easier:

• Are you ready/willing to buy a $600 (plus accessorie and tax) tablet right now
    • Are the "preferences" enough to make you want this one over all the others (which don't have any of those things)
    but if everyone had this outlook, nothing would ever pan out.
    Not true, but I think I know what you're getting at. Pretty non sequitur though.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Factually incorrect. I've edited documents with my TouchPad.
    You mean google doc?

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    with great risk comes the potential for great reward

with little risk comes the potential for little gain
    Yeah, 'potentials' are hard to judge tho, i guess all depends if you have faith in webOS and HPalm.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    If you don't want to beta test then don't get it. If you do and have to have webos, yes. I'm sitting out this round for that very reason.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Yeah, 'potentials' are hard to judge tho, i guess all depends if you have faith in webOS and HPalm.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    we all took a chance on webos 1.X

and it turned out to have great reward

I still remember my launch pre- on webos 1.0. this phone still feels current to me with my patches and webos 1.4. so i can only imaging the future with hp's $$$ at the helm
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    we all took a chance on webos 1.X

and it turned out to have great reward

I still remember my launch pre- on webos 1.0. this phone still feels current to me with my patches and webos 1.4. so i can only imaging the future with hp's $$$ at the helm
    What great reward? I see a phone that now has no updates or applications in it's future. It was a beta test in every sense of the word.

I got nothing but a waste of time and money in WebOS.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    What great reward? I see a phone that now has no updates or applications in it's future. It was a beta test in every sense of the word.

I got nothing but a waste of time and money in WebOS.
    I have a phone thats nearly 2 years old but keeps up and surpasses my wife's brand new evo3d in nearly every aspect????

sounds like huge reward to me
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    I have a phone thats nearly 2 years old but keeps up and surpasses my wife's brand new evo3d in nearly every aspect????

Funny.
    this is not a beta product by any means lol. When the ipad came out , the vert first one was a beta product ha ha
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Wait it out. Putting your money into what's a sure thing is usually smarter than putting your money into something that may or may not pan out.

I agree... Wait for the TouchPad 2. If HP can't push out WebOS products that attract a large base of new buyers and developers. They will drop WebOS like a hot potato and focus on Windows and maybe even adopt Android again.
    IcerC likes this.
    touchpad 2 wont be for a year at least

$49 a month for a 32gb touchpad isnt bad at all.

if you purchase at best buy you could get the buy back protection on it and get around 50% back of your purchase price in a year too
    @agentmock

Not true, but I think I know what you're getting at. Pretty non sequitur though.
    not really... There's a certain amount of risk involved in doing new things. If apple took the safe approach, and stayed out of the phone business, we wouldnt have iOS. If their customers didnt take the initial risk, back when there were no apps, apple wouldnt have an installed base or a huge catalog. Both parties took risks, and were handsomely rewarded. Do all stories end that way? No. But they all begin that way.

In what ways? I have the 3d. Runs circles around the pre in every way. (which makes sense seeing its a newer phone)

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I have to admit, your subsequent posts give me a different attitude about your original post (but I still say; no, you shouldn't pay to be a beta tester. No one should pay to be a beta tester).

So, you've got these preferences. Now the question becomes easier:

• Are you ready/willing to buy a $600 (plus accessorie and tax) tablet right now
    • Are the "preferences" enough to make you want this one over all the others (which don't have any of those things)
    of course i dont believe we are beta testers. But I think he was using early adopter and beta tester interchangeably. The touchpad is a solid product and the current webos build is ready for public consumption. But like all OSs there is room for improvement and there always will be.
    First of all, I had the same reservations many of you had and I even cancelled my preorder. Then, someone in this thread said 'its just a computer - buy it or dont'.
    That common sense pushed me into buying this Touchpad. And I have NO REGRETS! This thing is solid! It operates very smoothly and its just a beautiful device. Some things aren't available yet but I know it will get there. I really love this thing! (and no I dont work for HP and I'm not a ******)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast