Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By indivisibletears
  • 1 Post By Sukiyaki
  1.    #1  
    I received my Touchpad today, and I've got to say most of the negative reviews seem to be a bit unfounded.

Flash worked great for me...I spent about 20 minutes bouncing between youtube videos and a couple of games with no problems. I wonder what these critics are trying to do with this thing??? High end gaming?

And the poor reviews based on apps, or lack thereof, are just plain ignorant. I don't want 300 apps on my touchpad, much less half a million. Most of those are crappy games that even my 4 year old would be bored with after 5 minutes. It frustrates me that WebOS has been more intuitive, more user friendly, and a better experience than iOS, BB, & Android since 2009 - yet it has the potential to fail because people don't have the option to pay $.99 for 257 different 'shoot the zombie' games or Charlie Sheen quote apps.

Give me something that works, that gives me mobility, that fills the void between work and home - and do it well! HP WebOS does that. Do I expect it to be perfect out of the box on release date? No. If I did would I be disappointed?? Probably.
    kchan283, LinT and RoverNole like this.
    well said. So how many people download and use the 100000 apps from other platform every day. We definitely need choices in apps but not chaos.
    it was completely fair for the reviewers to talk about it. The truth is there's 101 things you can do on the fruitpad that the touchpad cant do. Honestly noone expected them to have that many.

What was needed was for them to be able to say convincingly that the touchpad was a really great productivity tool. They did that to some extent,but things like the lack of document editing and occasional bugs and slowdowns detracted somewhat from that picture.

just listened to the This is my Next podcast and Josh was actually pretty upbeat about it. He slated honeycomb and the Playbook. He hardly mentioned apps and when he did, they also talked about how few there were for the Android tab too.
    Re: apps - it's all about "choice" - the ability to select from a wide variety of applications available for that platform so you can have the most focused 10 or 12 apps that YOU like - that does, unfortunately, require a significant number and extensive range of apps, when trying to satisfy a world with almost 7 billion consumers, each with their own preferences...

However, Rome wasn't built in a day... and the TP is more than likely to improve its app catalog over time in both quantity and variety, becuase HP has clearly and susinctly stated that they are in this for the long haul, and that security, combined with even a modicum of successful acceptance by consumers of the devices they release, will provide an ample source of potential income for those developlers.

I'm personally very happy to hear that your experience was, so far, a good one with the TP... imagine how good it will be once the OS is fully optimized for GPU performance after the pending OTA hits it?
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Exactly! Why do you need an app when you can simply goto the website. Most of the apps that i have on my iPad 2 will be useless (imho) on my TouchPad because i have the full web experience.

checkout this video as example of why i need the Kodak Gallery app on my iPad 2 but not on my TouchPad
    ~~~Asaseaban~~~
    I think HP and the app makers have done a pretty decent job of launching with a solid core group of apps. We know more are on the way and many of the older Pre apps work just fine (ie. Pandora).

Also, the browser, multitasking and running Flash, means you don't need as many apps.
    PDA History:

Palm Zire 71 > Palm T5 > Palm TX > iPhone > iPhone 3GS > HTC EVO 3D > Pre 3

Touchpad
    Flash works really nicely, I can play 1080p youtube videos without any problems. I'm gonna try a 4k youtube video as well to see if it lags with that.

-Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by ASASEABAN View Post
    Exactly! Why do you need an app when you can simply goto the website. Most of the apps that i have on my iPad 2 will be useless (imho) on my TouchPad because i have the full web experience.

checkout this video as example of why i need the Kodak Gallery app on my iPad 2 but not on my TouchPad
    Kewl, I liked your video on youtube. I didn't check your tags, but you might want to change the title to Touchpad: You Don't Need An App For That... so people searching titles will see "touchpad" and won't pass you by.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    Flash works really nicely, I can play 1080p youtube videos without any problems. I'm gonna try a 4k youtube video as well to see if it lags with that.

-Toaster
    really? I was seeing buffering/frame rate issues at 720p. What's yer secret?
    Quote Originally Posted by ASASEABAN View Post

This was awesome!

HP really needs to make this a bigger deal, since most folks dont have a clue as to why you MUST have soooooo many apps for the iPads
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    Gotta love Apple brainwashing.

There was a time when Microsoft said, hey Apple has no apps, but Apple responds with, yes but we offer a much better user experience.

Now Apple has turned tables, and says hey HP has no apps, but HP responds with, yes but we offer a much better user experience.

Problem is there are Apple fans who believe they are part of an elite group, and that everyone else out there is irrelevant, regardless of what is there. Apple has become hypocritical, and yet they still thrive. HP has a hard road ahead of them thats for sure, if they intend to go head to head. I understand they want to target more of the business space, but to become relevant they still need the average users too.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smubeht View Post
    Gotta love Apple brainwashing.
    For some reason Apple still has the reputation of being the company of the people...and people think that they are Jack Black and sticking it to the man when they buy an iproduct.

ASASEABAN: good video and approach to the issue.

I haven't had a problem with Flash, but I haven't tried to watch full movies at the highest possible res. I guess I didn't have that expectation from a device line that (even with the iPad) is fairly new. It isn't going to do everything that my quad-core, dual video card, 22" HDMI full HD PC can do. That's just unfair to any device at this point in time. We are at the beginning of the tablet era. Be patient and allow them to be what they are.