Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Very very happy with a lot of stuff going on and overall a happy customer, however I've been playing with my Touchpad all day and here's my list of annoyances thus far:

• Email app still doesn't have an "Archive" or "Mark as Spam" button for Gmail (meaning I still have to resort to using the web app - inability to archive pretty much makes the entire email experience useless for me on WebOS)
    • Maps now use Bing meaning I can't use Latitude and I can use Google Maps' amazing search tools. And maps.google.com doesn't work in the browser. It doesn't register the touch input at all.
    • Skype audio works great, but my video doesn't always work. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.
    • Touchpad crashed/restarted twice during the day without any reason that I could tell. Seems to be completely random and both times were when I actually wasn't actively using it.
    • Not all my Pre's apps got synced. I don't get why. I want them all on here, even if it's in the tiny emulator mode. Some of the apps don't even show up in the App Catalog anymore ( FourSquare, FlightView, Need For Speed, Flixter, just to name a few). Carbon's in the App Catalog, but it's telling me I have to buy it. I downloaded it when it used to be free, so why can't it transfer it from my Pre to the Touchpad?
    • Emulator mode doesn't rotate to landscape
    • Browser is displaying Google's apps very poorly. Lots of bad rendering, and Gmail won't let you scroll down past a certain point making it un-usable (similar to ). Acid2 test passed - so I'm not sure what's going on there.
    • Not all Flash videos would work. Some didn't load at all. And YouTube videos were very laggy.
    • That Amazon Kindle app that I was promised is nowhere to be found Ah. Just read elsewhere that apparently that one is late, but will be coming soon.

I badly want these features:

• Getting the Mplayer app to work on the device so I can actually watch videos on it in the formats I want
    • Getting some kind of way to access my network on it. I want to be able to grab and easily move or view files on my PC without having to plug the thing in (ties in with that whole movie watching business). I'm looking at you Internalz!
    • Terminal!

Going to patiently wait for the homebrew guys to start getting their stuff working on this new platform. I'm very optimistic.

P.S. I love the new app catalog, it's beautiful. I don't know what everyone is complaining about.
    Last edited by globex; 07/01/2011 at 11:08 PM.
    Bell Pre since August 27 2009
    HP Touchpad since July 1 2011
    Development/Design contribution to:
    I'm actually quite surprised that the email app doesn't have mark as spam. This has got be a added feature before the end of the month. The reason why all your Pre apps didn't sync is because they are not available for the TouchPad. Meaning that the developer may have made sure it isn't in the catalogue because it won't work or another reason. Spaz HD is a really nice app and so is FourSquare HD. But I did think that Need For Speed was available for the TouchPad. could you double check that?

The problem with the browser is that you did a Acid 2 test not a Acid3 test. Acid3 test has all the modern qualifications in it. I would like to know what the browser gets in it.

The reason why the Amazon Kindle app probably isn't on your device is because it doesn't come completely pre installed. The icon is there (name: Kindle, blue icon) and you tap it to install it. If the icon isn't there just search Kindle in the app catalogue and install it.

Lastly, HP Play is HP's iTunes like solution for media syncing. It will probably be released at the end of July. Internalz in currently being ported (into Enyo for the TouchPad) by the beastly dev Jason Robitaille. He told us that the apps (including Internalz) probably won't be done in time for the launch. In a week or two he should be done.

I really love the new look for the App Catalogue too... and the new PreCentral look!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    The reason why all your Pre apps didn't sync is because they are not available for the TouchPad.
    But I don't care that there isn't a TouchPad-version available. I'm totally okay if they run in emulator mode. I just want them installed.

But I did think that Need For Speed was available for the TouchPad. could you double check that?
    There is apparently a new Touchpad-only release of NFS. But I don't want to pay for another one when I already paid for one on my Pre.

The problem with the browser is that you did a Acid 2 test not a Acid3 test. Acid3 test has all the modern qualifications in it. I would like to know what the browser gets in it.
    The Acid3 test is more for Javascript than HTML/CSS rendering. Acid3 gets 92%. Not too great.

The reason why the Amazon Kindle app probably isn't on your device is because it doesn't come completely pre installed. The icon is there (name: Kindle, blue icon) and you tap it to install it. If the icon isn't there just search Kindle in the app catalogue and install it.
    No Kindle icon anywhere. When I do a search for Amazon, or Kindle in the catalog I don't see any results.

Lastly, HP Play is HP's iTunes like solution for media syncing. It will probably be released at the end of July.
    For someone who hates the idea of "syncing" and "iTunes" this sucks. I just want to move files over manually. Or even better - just load them right from my remote server. I don't actually want to store anything on the Touchpad. I guess Ampache Mobile is my best option still.
    kkhanmd likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by globex View Post
    [*]Email app still doesn't have an "Archive" or "Mark as Spam" button for Gmail (meaning I still have to resort to using the web app - inability to archive pretty much makes the entire email experience useless for me on WebOS)
    I changed the Gmail account settings on the touchpad to have a Trash folder of "None" - so far I think this makes deleting an item on the TouchPad the same as archiving it in the webmail.
    Last edited by nemeth88; 07/01/2011 at 11:53 PM. Reason: I think I was wrong when I said you could 'really' delete stuff by deleting it from Gmail/All Mail... it just comes back
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nemeth88 View Post
    I changed the Gmail account settings on the touchpad to have a Trash folder of "None" - so far I think this makes deleting an item on the TouchPad the same as archiving it in the webmail (then to really delete it, you have to go into [Gmail]/All Mail and delete again).
    BRILLIANT work-around! Thank you sir!
    For someone who hates the idea of "syncing" and "iTunes" this sucks. I just want to move files over manually. Or even better - just load them right from my remote server. I don't actually want to store anything on the Touchpad. I guess Ampache Mobile is my best option still.
    The great news for you then is you just have to wait till Jason gets his apps up and running in a week or two for full drag and drop powerzz.
    - John Wayne
    - John Wayne
    Google Maps does work, but it's pretty clunky without the touch inputs....however, you can even use Street View.

1 - Go to maps.google.com
    2 - Type in an address, zip, or click on the blue "where am I" dot on the left
    3 - Use the arrows in the upper left of the map to move around
    4 - Zoom in using the +/- buttons
    5 - If Street View is available on the street you're focused on then zooming in fully with the + button will bring up Street View.
    6 - Street View navigation appears to work perfectly as long as you remember that you can't drag or use multi-touch - have to use the on screen arrows/etc.
    Palm IIIx > Palm m505 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Centro > Pre- & Touchpad
    1. No calculator - duh! (This from Hewlitt Packard).
    2. Cannot set a picture as a wallpaper from the photo app. ???
    3. Cannot create more launcher pages. Why is it with webOS we are always taking two steps back before taking one step forward?

The list is actually quite long, so I am going to leave it at this for now.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 07/02/2011 at 01:42 AM.
    webosroundup claims ota update comng in about a week
    sorli likes this.
    Fwiw, google's imap API marks the message as spam when you move it to the spam folder.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    That's good to know...
    Try using the google maps mobile site. its a web app thats touch optimized.
    globex, try going through Pivot and finding the page that talks about Kindle and install it from there. In the below linked video (around 4:45) she is scrolling through pivot and gets to a Kindle page and it is there waiting to be installed. I believe it was the 7th or 8th page.

- John Wayne
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    m.google.com/maps says "Sorry, mobile maps aren't supported on your device".

There is no mention of Amazon or Kindle anywhere in the Pivot magazine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    1. No calculator - duh! (This from Hewlitt Packard).
    There are already free calculators in the App catalog.. another item to knock off the list.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I don't see any mention about a lag.

I'm on the fence about purchasing one and spent some time with it at my local Office Depot. I rebooted it to clear any memory problems, but it was annoyingly sluggish - worse than the first version of the Pre -. Really my biggest problem with the device. I very much want it to be successful, but I'm no longer so loyal to Palm, errr HP, that I can ignore the bugs. Any noticeable lag on your device??

Paul
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pluka View Post

I'm on the fence about purchasing one and spent some time with it at my local Office Depot. I rebooted it to clear any memory problems, but it was annoyingly sluggish - worse than the first version of the Pre -. Really my biggest problem with the device. I very much want it to be successful, but I'm no longer so loyal to Palm, errr HP, that I can ignore the bugs. Any noticeable lag on your device??

Paul
    Got to play for 30 minutes (while I wait for mine to arrive) with a TP and an iPad2 side by side. In loading web pages they were dead even - but the iPad failed due to no Flash available.

Email - TP had it all over the iPad. No contest.

Notes/Memo - Just type worked great. iPad has good memo pad.

Cardfile. Another clear win for TP. There is no better than the Palm system for contacts.

Music - Sound was clearly louder & clearer witn TP. Selection was faster, and far more complete, on iPad. But I only want my music so the availability advantage is a limited one to me. I like the superior sound on the TP - now I need to hear the headphones from Beats Audio.

Weight/feel - No doubt the TP is slightly thicker and a tad heavier but both "felt good" to hold. I like the thinner iPad (thin is in) but I wouldn't buy it because of that tiny difference. I kept trying to gesture, touch things on the iPad screen that didn't do a thing. The TP responded well. I saw little lag anywhere even after I had 20 cards floating around the screen. True multitasking is a real joy. As is messaging that doesn't kill your focus application. Those alone kill iPad for me.

Overall I felt the TP matched up well with what I will use a tablet for. The superior ability to run the web natively trumps the apps on the iPad. Apps are just a way to make up for the inability to use web sites. You don't need them if the existng web site works on the device. I found this to be true even with my Pre+. 6 apps or 6 million - I couldn't care less. I prefer a regular site and only use 6-q2 apps no matter what may be out there.

I'm glad my TP will be arriving tomorrow (provided FED EX meets it's deadline). Using one for an hour really got me revved for my own full time.
    John

Proudly Microsoft/Apple Free with HP/Palm Pre+/ Driod Bionic / Verizon Wireless TouchPad SOON! NOW!
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pluka View Post
    I really havent had any lag issues what-so-ever. Its been blazingly fast, even with several apps running, and Flash, and various devices connected.

The only issue has been the random Luna restarts, and HP said they're already working on it, so I'm sure an OTA update with a fix is on the way.

The fast that the email app launches instantaneously still amazes me every time.
    I really havent had any lag issues what-so-ever. Its been blazingly fast, even with several apps running, and Flash, and various devices connected.

The only issue has been the random Luna restarts, and HP said they're already working on it, so I'm sure an OTA update with a fix is on the way.

The fast that the email app launches instantaneously still amazes me every time.
    Most of my lag issues can be easily attributed to the ten accounts I have doing their first sync with the device. It'll be a little while before all that information is transferred.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast