View Poll Results: Were you disappointed with the release day?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

44 34.92%
  • No

76 60.32%
  • I'm just trolling...

6 4.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    1.) Advertisement - One Russel Brand video officially released...have yet to see it on television.
    2.) Store presence - I visited 3 different stores today, one had a display with the Touchpad and that was lacking all the visual information that is supposed to be surrounding it, though they do great with the Presence of HP Representatives.
    3.) HP Executives claiming the Touchpad isn't going after iPad market share....seriously? Do not make that claim...you have a solid product on your hands and you want to downplay it, why?

Just saying...today was a slow kick off to the Touchpad and I hope the following days will start the engine of this device and really give it a boost.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/01/2011 at 11:51 PM. Reason: updated title
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    All I can tell you is that I went to my local Dallas BestBuy around noon and there had been 9 sales of Touchpad already.....the sales guy told me there were 3 people waiting by the door this morning at 9am waiting to get theirs.....THey had 14 in stock.....looks like they dont have them anymore as of 7pm!!!!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by crg28 View Post
    All I can tell you is that I went to my local Dallas BestBuy around noon and there had been 9 sales of Touchpad already.....the sales guy told me there were 3 people waiting by the door this morning at 9am waiting to get theirs.....THey had 14 in stock.....looks like they dont have them anymore as of 7pm!!!!
    This is awesome! I really think that was one of the few isolated events that this sort of excitement occurred unfortunately...but it should get better.
    The only disappointment to me is advertising apps, such as HP Movie Gallery & Kindle, and them not being ready / just having placeholders. Aside from that, I'm pretty content with the quality of the OS/software for a launch device.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    I'm really happy with the launch. At my Best Buy they had sold 15 TouchPad 32GB before I picked mine up. I wish HPPlay worked better and the Kindle and Movie Store apps were working but I'm fine being an early adopter.
    A little disappointing for me. Costco had none in stock at launch (today), Best Buy employees acted like I was speaking french to them when I asked to buy a TouchPad. Turns out, they had not even pull the TP stock out of their delivery truck! 20 mins later I walk out with my 32GB, very happy with the device, just wish I saw more support from local retailers at launch....

...I had to use the Apple Store sections register to check out (it was a very busy day), the Apple rep asked me if I had waited for it to launch or just picked it up today? Response: "Waiting for it since CES" He asked what made me pick it over an iPad? I said, "Its intuitive UI, TRUE multitasking, and I'm a specs kinda guy so having a dual core 1.2ghz processor was nice too!"
    Need a case or battery touchstone compatible? I just released my OtterBox case that works with the Touchstone. Check out the links below.

Some user feedback here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ouchstone.html
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    I'm really happy with the launch. At my Best Buy they had sold 15 TouchPad 32GB before I picked mine up. I wish HPPlay worked better and the Kindle and Movie Store apps were working but I'm fine being an early adopter.
    This is good! Glad to hear it went well in other places.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by sburlbaw View Post
    A little disappointing for me. Costco had none in stock at launch (today), Best Buy employees acted like I was speaking french to them when I asked to buy a TouchPad. Turns out, they had not even pull the TP stock out of their delivery truck! 20 mins later I walk out with my 32GB, very happy with the device, just wish I saw more support from local retailers at launch....

...I had to use the Apple Store sections register to check out (it was a very busy day), the Apple rep asked me if I had waited for it to launch or just picked it up today? Response: "Waiting for it since CES" He asked what made me pick it over an iPad? I said, "Its intuitive UI, TRUE multitasking, and I'm a specs kinda guy so having a dual core 1.2ghz processor was nice too!"
    Haha! I bet he was thinking.....well whatever we're apple therefore we're the best.
    I was the first one to get the TouchPad at my local best buy. The employees there were relatively informed about the device, too.
    LinT likes this.
    At the Best Buy in east Atlanta today, they don't even have a tp display up! I asked if they had them and the guy was like "over along that wall somewhere". I found the one unit they had on display and asked a different rep if I could purchase one. He informed me that they weren't on sale yet, and besides they didn't have any in stock. After asking to see the manager, he went to the back to see if they may have come in today. He came back out and informed me (and the mgr) that they did have them! Not very impressive!
    Local bb in Dothan Alabama had 16 32's and 13 16's locked in a cabinet, no display and had to ask two employees and tell them that today was the day they were to be able to sell them. HP Reps need to get in gear and fire some folks up at these Retail places.
    Quote Originally Posted by fellowman39047 View Post
    At the Best Buy in east Atlanta today, they don't even have a tp display up! I asked if they had them and the guy was like "over along that wall somewhere". I found the one unit they had on display and asked a different rep if I could purchase one. He informed me that they weren't on sale yet, and besides they didn't have any in stock. After asking to see the manager, he went to the back to see if they may have come in today. He came back out and informed me (and the mgr) that they did have them! Not very impressive!
    and I forgot this tid-bit...then the BB rep tried to talk me out of the Touchpad. "why this tablet? Have you explored all the options?"
    Went to a BB at 10:00 AM to pick up a Touchpad. Walked in, over to the computers section, and saw the display of TP's and Veer's.

There it was, the brand new HP Touchpad display device. I went over to it and played for a minute. Decided that yes absolutely I was going to do it and looked around, I saw the price tags, I saw the empty spaces where the accessories should be. I walked around the general area, but no touchpads to be seen.

I goto the closest Best Buy associated and ask her, about the Touchpad, dreading the coming answer. She immediately knows what I'm talking about, walks over to the display, grabs the price tag to go see where they are in stock. Sadly that store didn't have any in stock, an the nearest one with stock was about 15 miles away. Luckily the store manager happened to be at that store for a meeting right at that moment. They had 9 in that store, 50 in another at 25 miles away. He offered to bring a few back with him and sure enough a few hours later I got my phone call that he had them there and mine was waiting for me.

By the time I got in there, the four he had brought back were all sold and he had sold several more that were being brought down from another store.

Sadly, no stores within 50 miles had any accessories. So I'll say it was a mixed launch for me. Why BB didn't have them in stock, yet another store had 50 is beyond me, but at least they went out of their way to make sure I got my launch day TP, so pair with my Lauch day Pre-.
    The guys at my best buy also asked if I had explored my options, but they were satisfied when I showed them that I already knew webos from my phone.

in that respect I think it's good for them to be asking since they want to minimize returns from people getting the wrong device for them. This is assuming the employees actually know what they're talking about, that is.
    I worked pretty late then drove to all the stores in the area. Two Wal-marts, a target, a staples, an office max. None had any, none had any display, none knew what I was talking about. One of the walmarts had a price sticker where they were supposed to be and had what looked like a replacement charger and a screen care kit, but still didn't actually have any.

Pretty disappointed.
    I had a different experience at the Madison Heights, MI Best Buy. They had 20 pre-orders and 10 available to sell. They sold them all except 4 of them while I was there. I did show an employee how to use it though and persuaded a customer to get one after she knew that I got the 32GB one. I told her its new and the apps will be coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    I got the last 16gb unit from Office Depot earlier today. Otherwise I would have had to buy a 32gb or continue the hunt. I chose OD because of our corp discounts so it was basically tax free plus a little. :-)

The staff was well informed about the unit and we even talking about the integration with my Pre. I had to tell them that only voice\sms works on mine and the Veer or Pre can do TTS.
    Here in CT I went to 2 Walmarts. No displays, no TPs in stock. Called Staples, same thing. Went to BB. They had a display up. A saleswoman approached and told me some other customer had come in looking for a TP but he was disappointed with the demo model and left. After playing with the demo I told a salesman I wanted one and he said, "so you want to pre-order one?" I said, "No, I want to BUY one. Today is the day you start selling them." He says, "Really? Let me check..." and comes out of the back room with my 32. This is painfully similar to my experience with Vzn when I bought my Pre+. Makes me nervous about the future for Webos.
    I personally don't care what the reviews say because they can't capture all the positives of having a WebOS tablet. WebOS on a tablet is just ment to be, iOS isn't.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crg28 View Post
    reminds me of when I went into Office Depot yesterday and saw the TP. when I asked about availability they looked in inventory and had 160 on order with 650 total for the warehouse. So they're planning to sell.
    kamaru likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast