View Poll Results: Were you disappointed with the release day?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

44 34.92%
  • No

76 60.32%
  • I'm just trolling...

6 4.76%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pbecot01 View Post
    I worked pretty late then drove to all the stores in the area. Two Wal-marts, a target, a staples, an office max. None had any, none had any display, none knew what I was talking about. One of the walmarts had a price sticker where they were supposed to be and had what looked like a replacement charger and a screen care kit, but still didn't actually have any.

Pretty disappointed.
    what area, maybe someone here can locate one for you.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Yeah, somewhat disappointing. It seems HP did this as a soft release instead of a big bang.

Many stores still have yet to receive their shipments because HP shipped too close to the big day to get on the shelves. The Walmart here had the TPad but only 1 accessory. The Best Buy thought it was released Thursday and had the display, but no TPad or accessories. The display at Walmart was better looking that Best Buy.

When others make a big release, they have a well coordinated plan to ensure retailers have the product in time with commitments to hold until the proper time.

If HP had said up front not to expect everything in the stores today, it wouldn't be such a big deal to me. Perhaps we assumed it was going to be one big unveiling as opposed to what came about?
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    If HP had said up front not to expect everything in the stores today, it wouldn't be such a big deal to me. Perhaps we assumed it was going to be one big unveiling as opposed to what came about?
    This is a good point, just got hyped up...but I guess part of it is the fact that we are all anticipating it and keeping up with it more than most people.
    One of the best buys near me had 3 sold immediately after they opened today, and the manager at the store where I was looking for accessories at said there has been a good amount of interest
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    what area, maybe someone here can locate one for you.
    That was all the stores within the distance I could drive before they closed. When I got home I searched the internet and found that the best buy 40 minutes away has them in stock, so I'll probably swing by tomorrow.

I just really don't understand the planning. Iphone and droid both launched with huge advertising campaigns and big release date planning and stuff. I mentioned it to my wife and even she remembered those verizon commercials about the droid. Coincidentally, both items are hugely successful.

Why would you not try and emulate that?
    please keep in mind that not all countries have launched the product yet. HP still has to roll out several launches.
    We're not the only ones with smaller-than-anticipated launches either. The BestBuy I got my TP at said they opened early for the Evo 3D launch and only one person was there. They only sold 3 over the course of the day too.
    Last edited by FenrirWolf; 07/02/2011 at 04:00 AM.
    I don't think, this kind of "soft-launch" is bad. I think it is especially good!

This way, HP is capable of bringing the devices to the early-adopters faster. They would have had to wait for 1-2 weeks more to fully stock-up all stores.
    You saw it for yourself. Here not TPs at all, there no accessories, next nobody knows about the device at all. This are all things that will be worked out during the first half of july, I am sure.

Also, this way HP can work out the early bugs before the BIG BANG comes and more people get attracted to the devices.

So...starting the big advertising and availability in mid-july but letting early-adopters join on the train 2 weeks early, in my opinion is the best thing they could do.

This doesn't mean, that this is a small launch at all. It's kind of a pre-launch for the community. After that, there will be the BIG launch, if they start advertising it the broad way.
    darkzone and sburlbaw like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    I don't think, this kind of "soft-launch" is bad. I think it is especially good!

This way, HP is capable of bringing the devices to the early-adopters faster. They would have had to wait for 1-2 weeks more to fully stock-up all stores.
    You saw it for yourself. Here not TPs at all, there no accessories, next nobody knows about the device at all. This are all things that will be worked out during the first half of july, I am sure.

Also, this way HP can work out the early bugs before the BIG BANG comes and more people get attracted to the devices.

So...starting the big advertising and availability in mid-july but letting early-adopters join on the train 2 weeks early, in my opinion is the best thing they could do.

This doesn't mean, that this is a small launch at all. It's kind of a pre-launch for the community. After that, there will be the BIG launch, if they start advertising it the broad way.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    This launch is actually going a bit better than I expected. It seems to be a little more like the Pre- launch than the veer launch. Its not absolutely spectacular, but HP is moving some device.

The Best Buy I went to has had a touch pad on display for quite some time, and next to Apple, it was the most prominent display. Of course, everyone knows Ipad2's are sold out everywhere, so that booth was absolutely empty every time I stopped by.

The same cannot be said for the touchpad. The constantly running demo seems to have done its job, as people continuously stopped by to see what was going on. Sure not many people actually bought it, but many tried it out, and walked away pleased, interested and informed.

The BB employees were a mixed bag. I asked a woman to grab me a touchpad and help me find Touchpad accessories. she got the tablet, but She couldn't find accessories and asked another employee. His response, "what KIND of Touchpad is he looking to buy". Her response, "um, the uhh Xoom Galaxy Touchpad". Me: "no the HP Touchpad. Come to find out, he actually owns an HP Touchpad because the HP rep let some of the best buy employees buy it early. Its just weird that he thought there were different kinds of touchpads.

The day before I tried to see if i could get them to sell to me early. A different you lady got on her walky and asked, "can we sell the HP ipads things"

Anyway, this best but had at least 50 in stock, and were moving quite a few throughout the day. The display Xoom being extremely laggy, the Galaxy Tab, not having a display unit, and ipad2 being sold out, probably helped a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by fellowman39047 View Post
    At the Best Buy in east Atlanta today, they don't even have a tp display up! I asked if they had them and the guy was like "over along that wall somewhere". I found the one unit they had on display and asked a different rep if I could purchase one. He informed me that they weren't on sale yet, and besides they didn't have any in stock. After asking to see the manager, he went to the back to see if they may have come in today. He came back out and informed me (and the mgr) that they did have them! Not very impressive!
    I played with one on display at perimeter mall area bb on Wednesday. Pretty sure they had stock.
    The BB sales floor gives me hives, but 8 out of 10 BBs in my area (eastern Mass) have plenty in stock still. I did store pickup yesterday and it worked fine. There were a couple of people in line in front of me doing the same thing, and they had a couple others sitting on the shelf awaiting pickup. Don't bother talking to people on the floor if you can avoid it... just check stock online and pick it up. The pick-up sales people don't even try to push warranties on you, they just hand you your item and you can walk out the door. Quite painless.
    Was I expecting an iPad-esque launch? No. HP is pushing this as mostly a business tool and there is nothing sexy about a business tool. But then, that's why businesses will buy it. It was on par with every other HP launch I have ever seen.

HP is planning on flooding the market with webOS devices. The Veer and the TouchPad are proverbial drops of water letting you know the dam is about to break. Once that happens, you won't be able to avoid getting wet.
    we will see by sales, you never know.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I went to the BB in Southfield, MI around noon. They had no display model up (although set one up when I told them I wanted to play with one). I was the first person to buy one. Glad to hear it's been selling better at other stores.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post

Wow...this is actually genius. I hope this is the case!
    I work at best buy in the computer/tablet department in Michigan and I told this lady all about the TP before we closed the day before the launch. Sure enough she was back on launch day just 10 mins after we opened. She bought the 32gb and was really excited. We had 31 16gb and about 15 32gb in stock.

We didn't sell another one until like 4:30 :/ I clocked out at 5pm and bought mine (16gb)

Don't worry boys and girls I'm going to be pushing the TouchPad really hard and will sway all tablet buyers to buy the TouchPad

+1 good guys

Sent from that Nexus S 4G via Tapatalk
    rot and cobrakon like this.
    Launch seems better than Veer's at least. It's nice to see that there are some buyers in every store that had TP in stock. Also, sales force in stores is maybe not well informed, but also is not so negative about TP like they are with Veer, Pre2 and Pre+. If TP gains some respect by stores employees, we can expect stronger push. Hope there will be not much replacements.
    Quote Originally Posted by krisnicaj View Post
    I work at best buy in the computer/tablet department in Michigan and I told this lady all about the TP before we closed the day before the launch. Sure enough she was back on launch day just 10 mins after we opened. She bought the 32gb and was really excited. We had 31 16gb and about 15 32gb in stock.

We didn't sell another one until like 4:30 :/ I clocked out at 5pm and bought mine (16gb)

Don't worry boys and girls I'm going to be pushing the TouchPad really hard and will sway all tablet buyers to buy the TouchPad

+1 good guys

Sent from that Nexus S 4G via Tapatalk
    More like the WebOS vanguard! Awesome :-)
    Need a case or battery touchstone compatible? I just released my OtterBox case that works with the Touchstone. Check out the links below.

Some user feedback here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ouchstone.html
    My experience was great. All of the employees were well informed. What I really loved is how MULTIPLE employees at two DIFFERENT best buys, all said the touchpad was by far their favorite tablet! No lie.

PS, loving my TP! Still cant believe I am holding webos on something big and gorgeous and not a 3.1 inch oreo.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12