Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes
    This is slightly off topic, but is there any way to easily switch back and forth between cards without gestures? I loved that "advanced gesture" where you swiped forward/back really far to change cards while you were within one (as in, without having to back out first). When combined with multiple browser cards, it was the best "tabbed browsing" experience I ever had on a mobile OS - one tiny swipe to get to a different open webpage, simple and easy.

Pretty sure I'm in the minority in this (since I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else) but I don't really get why there's a home button instead of a gesture area to begin with. I personally would have had no problem reaching over to a side of the screen to do my gestures, I'd just have been glad to have them.

Agreed with everyone who thinks a side-of-screen gesture would make sense, though. That at the very least would bring back some of the convenience.
    Quote Originally Posted by tokomibashi View Post
    This is slightly off topic, but is there any way to easily switch back and forth between cards without gestures? I loved that "advanced gesture" where you swiped forward/back really far to change cards while you were within one (as in, without having to back out first). When combined with multiple browser cards, it was the best "tabbed browsing" experience I ever had on a mobile OS - one tiny swipe to get to a different open webpage, simple and easy.

Pretty sure I'm in the minority in this (since I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else) but I don't really get why there's a home button instead of a gesture area to begin with. I personally would have had no problem reaching over to a side of the screen to do my gestures, I'd just have been glad to have them.

Agreed with everyone who thinks a side-of-screen gesture would make sense, though. That at the very least would bring back some of the convenience.
    i've discovered that taps under a line of cards on the right and left of the screen snap through cards quickly. So 3 quick taps moves over three cards rapidly from the right or left, respectively.
    joe_s likes this.
    most apps have the back or cancel buttons at the bottom, it would be better if they were at the top
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    The lack of a back gesture came as a shock to me as well, though I suspected there would be some big change with the ui since they announced there was no gesture area.
    After playing with my TouchPad for 2 days now I don't really miss it...just had to get used to the new functionality, now the problem I have is that webos looks so small and frail on my pre-, need the pre3 in the states(and on sprint!) ASAP!
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I noticed on a display unit at Best Buy today that the swipe up only counts on the bottom (based on the device orientation) and that swiping onto the screen from any side does nothing. Seems a logical place to add a patch for a back and forward gesture. (at least one other person mentioned this previously in passing). Thoughts?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by nightdevil21 View Post
    most apps have the back or cancel buttons at the bottom, it would be better if they were at the top
    it's very inconsistent actually. some apps have a back button on the bottom while some do it at the top (like preware, where I always end up hitting the app menu by accident). having played around with the TP and webOS 3.0 over the past few days, I am not convinced some of the changes are improvements. I do UX for a living, and this feels unfocused :-(
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    Switching between apps is definitely what I miss most too about the gestures missing.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TRoss View Post
    I noticed on a display unit at Best Buy today that the swipe up only counts on the bottom (based on the device orientation) and that swiping onto the screen from any side does nothing. Seems a logical place to add a patch for a back and forward gesture. (at least one other person mentioned this previously in passing). Thoughts?

If there were gestures created for swiping from off the screen to the left/right, it should be for switching between cards, like the Playbook
    VZW Pre 2 on 2.1

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
    When we heard of the tablet we all assumed we we getting the webos experience on a tablet, but what I saw was pretty far from what I wanted.

I didn't see anyway to switch like advanced gestures. I opened a bunch of apps and had to scroll left and right blindly to find the one I wanted.

Why they got rid of the minicards just blows my mind. Stacks good but only if one took the time to make stacks before hand or they are related. At the least they should have icons showing which apps are open.

No back gesture? Wave launcher? At this point its just another tablet to me.
    IcerC likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TRoss View Post

Like the Blackberry Playbook? Sure feels logical on that thing, which is at least as WebOS as WebOS.

Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    When we heard of the tablet we all assumed we we getting the webos experience on a tablet, but what I saw was pretty far from what I wanted.

I didn't see anyway to switch like advanced gestures. I opened a bunch of apps and had to scroll left and right blindly to find the one I wanted.

Why they got rid of the minicards just blows my mind. Stacks good but only if one took the time to make stacks before hand or they are related. At the least they should have icons showing which apps are open.

No back gesture? Wave launcher? At this point its just another tablet to me.
    I agree with most of your points. While I dknt see this is just another tablet, my experience playing with the TP sine July 1st has left me with a bittersweet impression that so much of the attention to details and touches that made webOS special and such a joy to use has been kmitted from this release.

If you haven't done so already, please go to the feedbacks page and leave HPalm a note.

Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

thx.
    one pixel boarder strategy should be used for left and right edge of screen for forward and back gestures the way the up gesture is being used at bottom of screen. It should rotate with screen. So a swipe to the left from the right edge should mimic back and swipe right from left edge should mimic forward. This is great for apps like the browser and app catalog. Book readers and the such. Also gives devs option to how they want to direct their app. I miss meta tap like no other for moving curser around when typing and other quick short cuts. There should at least be a 'meta' button on the keyboard left of the number 1 while in a typing zone.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    I agree with most of your points. While I dknt see this is just another tablet, my experience playing with the TP sine July 1st has left me with a bittersweet impression that so much of the attention to details and touches that made webOS special and such a joy to use has been kmitted from this release.

If you haven't done so already, please go to the feedbacks page and leave HPalm a note.

Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

thx.

Thanks for the link. I have submitted my input to them and wrote the following. If others take the time to explain the implementation of these features and importance we may see them back within an OTA update.
    Gestures
    ========

I would really like to see an implementation of back and forward gestures. I feel like it can easily work the same way as the up gesture works for card view key difference is to put them on the side. Back gesture can be implemented by swiping left from the right edge of the screen. Forward will work great with its inverse of swiping right from the left edge of the screen. Also advanced card switching gesture can be done the same way but only using the bottom half inch of the side edges of the screen.

This feature is important to me because gestures were a key factor in truly experiencing WebOS and differing it from the competition. I know panels makes it so you dont need it as much, but the times you do need it such as we browsing, using the catalog, book reading apps and a like it makes the biggest difference then hunting for the back button and miss tapping it more often then not. Lets also remember developers from other platforms may want port their apps over and do utilize 'back' which would be nicely done using gestures rather then redesigning apps to work with panels if they dont want to yet (initially).
    MatterOfFactJack
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    we need someone to create a patch that recognizes a swipe off the left and right edge of the screen to serve as a back and forward gesture, just as we currently have with the "up gesture" when the card is maximized... ready, set, go!
    I thought you said the touchpad didn't need any gestures?!
    Quote Originally Posted by tokomibashi View Post

There was a multipage discussion about the No Gesture Area. It's a bummer to see the advanced switching gesture, that Palm pioneered, show up on the Playbook and iPad while the TouchPad doesn't have anything like it
    I think what bothers me the most is the extreme lack of consistency in different apps with where the 'back' button is located. A gesture would offer a consistent method of navigation.

And I just miss the back gesture too!
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I'm in favor for using the left and right one-pixel approach for app switching and not back/forward gestures.
    Maybe an "inverse" version is possible for that. Not starting from the bevel (1st pixel) but ending there, to implement the back and forward gesture. But I guess that's harder as you risk to move (delete swipe) something from your app. Additionally, back and forward isn't so straightforward an action in webOS 3 anyway, as pointed out in this thread already.
    So I guess it will be buttons then. So please app devs be consistent where to place them. E.g. look at Honeycomb. I very much prefer them on the bottom and not on the top (like in iOS). Placing them on the top requires a lot of movement, going there with your finger. At the bottom it's just a touch with a hand that's is holding the TP and nog having to leave its place.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I'm in favor for using the left and right one-pixel approach for app switching and not back/forward gestures.
    Maybe an "inverse" version is possible for that. Not starting from the bevel (1st pixel) but ending there, to implement the back and forward gesture. But I guess that's harder as you risk to move (delete swipe) something from your app. Additionally, back and forward isn't so straightforward an action in webOS 3 anyway, as pointed out in this thread already.
    So I guess it will be buttons then. So please app devs be consistent where to place them. E.g. look at Honeycomb. I very much prefer them on the bottom and not on the top (like in iOS). Placing them on the top requires a lot of movement, going there with your finger. At the bottom it's just a touch with a hand that's is holding the TP and nog having to leave its place.
    I was wondering about this prior to the launch of the TP. Enyo doesn't really make sense to be taking out gestures, which have been a webOS mainstay for a long time. On a tablet (if it's consistent), sure, no worries; there are sliding panes like iPad versions of native apps and even Twitter for iPad, and even some apps on Android v3.0. But what about the phones? Will we have this little white glowing area just south of the screen that does nothing except change apps? Duh, it will notify us as well, but back swipe is better than on-screen back buttons like what iOS uses and if HP took over webOS just to play copycat with Apple, then I'll stick with my iPhone tyvm.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12