Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Well, mine arrived at the El Paso facility on Monday around noon eastern time. I just got the "shipped" email at 4:30 eastern time on Wednesday. I am happy that I should be getting it back this week - but I REALLY hope that I don't open the package and find that they just put new shrink wrap on it and claim that there was nothing wrong with it.

Fingers crossed here. The label has been printed, so no tracking info other than that yet. If it really goes out today (which I assume it will), I should have it when I get home tomorrow night.

I will share my findings...

Thanks
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Just got mine back today. Finally had a chance to sit down and look at it and....

it's exactly the same. I can still put my fingernail underneath the glass. It feels like they tried to do something to it, because now when I press the glass down, you can hear some sort of adhesive sound as it comes back up.

So I guess I'll call them back tomorrow and see what they say. That was a nice waste of 9 days.
    i have yet to hear of anyone actually getting a real repair from hp.
    lesson learned i guess. just do advanced exchange until you get a good one.
    I just got my Touchpad back today from the repair center. The cracks are gone, but the glass is still separating. I even wrote a sticky note on it with the issues. To be honest, maybe there isn't anything they can do about it and the parts they repair guys are given just plain suck. Not that this doesn't happen to any other devices, but the plastic and glass on the TP doesn't seem as high quality as other products I've held. The separation of the glass won't be a huge issue for me, as long as it doesn't crack or come up completely. When I got my device back, it seemed like it was reset. I had to re-enter my account, which is fine, but all of my preware was gone yet my homebrew tab was still there... I know they say to remove all personal data, which I did. Just seemed a bit odd.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Bledsoejr View Post
    I just got my Touchpad back today from the repair center. The cracks are gone, but the glass is still separating. I even wrote a sticky note on it with the issues. To be honest, maybe there isn't anything they can do about it and the parts they repair guys are given just plain suck. Not that this doesn't happen to any other devices, but the plastic and glass on the TP doesn't seem as high quality as other products I've held. The separation of the glass won't be a huge issue for me, as long as it doesn't crack or come up completely. When I got my device back, it seemed like it was reset. I had to re-enter my account, which is fine, but all of my preware was gone yet my homebrew tab was still there... I know they say to remove all personal data, which I did. Just seemed a bit odd.
    Mine is back today too, but I won't be able to check it out for a few hours. I am not holding my breath, but if it is worse than it was before, I intend to put up a stink about it.
    So basically, if we have this problem, we just need to live with it? Mine has the lift on the home button side. I've tried to push it back in but it won't budge at all.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post
    Mine is back today too, but I won't be able to check it out for a few hours. I am not holding my breath, but if it is worse than it was before, I intend to put up a stink about it.
    I got too busy last night, so I didn't get to post my update.

As expected, I opened the box, and it looks like they just put a new screen protector on it and sent it back. The gap looks just like it did before I sent it in.

I don't know if it is worth the time at this point anymore to send it in.

I might try to push for an advance exchange with the fee waived, but I am wondering how widespread this is. Maybe there is a poll in our future?

Thanks
    I wonder if there's anywhere replacement parts could be purchased and a self repair could be done.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    my touchpad's top glass is lifted enough that some dust got in around the camera. I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohh View Post
    I wonder if there's anywhere replacement parts could be purchased and a self repair could be done.
    Unless you have cracks/visible damage this issue is not caused by broken parts so there's nothing to purchase to fix it. There's a tight tolerance to ensure the glass stays embedded between the casing and the rubber so the downside is that it's hard to slip the glass inside that space. That's ignoring the fact that there will be tolerances between the glass panels themselves (the reason rubber is used for things like this instead of just placing the panel in a plastic frame) and the fact that glass isn't a solid.

HP techs are likely doing what the rest of us are doing: pressing really hard on the edge. you could try and use some soapy water to get the glass to slide against the rubber, but there's concerns with that method so attempt at your own risk.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345