Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    My brand new 16gb model had a pretty noticeable raised area along nearly the entire bottom of the screen. I did as someone suggested above and very carefully and gently pushed on the glass edge, then pushed slightly on the plastic towards the glass and it made a slight "snap" sound and now most of it is level! Try at your own risk obviously but my home button was hard to hit before.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Hey everyone...

I am in the US, and I just got my TP on Monday (9/12), purchased as a bundle from QVC of all places...

I noticed the screen/glass separation on my TP as soon as I held it (you can feel the raised edge when holding it in portrait mode). The location of the separation on mine is on the left side, in the middle between the speakers. The gap between the glass and the rubber seal is big enough to slip a credit card inside.

I called HP, and explained the problem and was told that I had to return it to the retailer for exchange and I responded that they would most likely be out of stock since the demand for these things is so high. They gave me a reference number to call back with if I couldn't resolve it with the vendor. I called them and they were happy to refund my money if I returned it but they were out of stock (as expected), and I called HP back.

I then spent over an hour on the phone with HP - who claimed that hardware defects weren't covered under warranty unless I bought it from HP directly. I could send it in for repair (for a fee), but since it was purchased from another vendor and that the defect didn't exist when it left HP, it was therefore the fault of the vendor. I was stunned that they were not willing to repair the problem. I pushed the issue that there was no way that this happened between the time it left HP and went to the vendor, and pointed out the fact that the bundle packaging was clearly provided from HP. (It was packaged with a Touchstone and a case, in an incredibly well-designed custom fit box, with HP bundle labeling on the outside).

I was put on hold several times while the CSR talked to "management" and basically it was a "NO - we have to charge you to fix this defect". I asked to speak to a supervisor, and then asked what the fee to repair it would be...

THE FEE: $299!!!!! I laughed out loud and told him that was more than I paid for the tablet in the first place!

He then put me on hold to see if he could find someone I could talk to at a higher level. About 5 minutes later the CSR came back on the line and said that he had gotten approval to waive the fee and they will repair it after all. They are sending a shipping box and pre-paid shipping label, but it will take 7-10 days to get it back from the time they receive it.

So I was absolutely stunned that it was this difficult to get them to repair/replace a product that had an obvious defect out of the box. I guess I am happy with the result (provided that they actually do a proper job of repairing it), but I can't believe that HP was unwilling to support their product - even if it is a discontinued one.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I just noticed this along the bottom but I am not too worried about that part since I didn't notice it until now.
    However I did notice this issue on the right side of my touchpad when being held on portrait mode, I tried pushing it down and it moves down, but as soon as I let go it clicks back up, and you literally hear it click. Will try to push pressure on the bottom and side to see if it gives.
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ernier View Post
    I just noticed this along the bottom but I am not too worried about that part since I didn't notice it until now.
    However I did notice this issue on the right side of my touchpad when being held on portrait mode, I tried pushing it down and it moves down, but as soon as I let go it clicks back up, and you literally hear it click. Will try to push pressure on the bottom and side to see if it gives.

Just be careful! It worked on mine and now the bottom is flush(er) with a little give on the left but way better than it was 2hrs ago when I opened it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheystar View Post
    I am scared I might screw it up. Is there anyway you could put up a video lol
    Don't worry. Just apply firm pressure. The components are not as weak as some here make it seem. This is just an assembly issue. Unfortunately, we see this kind of stuff on a lot of devices. I remember a thread about the Evo and the glass separating. Even iPhones have had bouts of these issues. China's QA sucks. Just apply firm pressure, squeezing while pushing the glass edge away from the plastic backing edge and the seal should mate just fine. When I first had mine, the home button wouldn't work all the time, and the led would often only show half the strip lit up. Doing this made the case flush and fixed the home button issues. Haven't had a problem since, and I used a good firm pressure.
    So I've got the same issue on my 32GB TouchPad. I noticed it the minute I go it. I drove me nuts. I know that with device like these, a separation like this will let dust get under the display and what not.

I've got through the whole repair process and my expierence can be found here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...creen-gap.html

I've had a pretty good run so far with CS.

I did try doing the "firm pressure" technique but I didn't get a "click" and the screen didn't stay down. Its virtually impossible for me to separate the casing from the screen or to apply pressure enough to get the screen to move away from the edge. There just is no play at all.

Unless more people or information come out on getting the glass to "click" back in place, I'll stick with my refurb'ed model that should have received a more stringent QA. Hopefully it doesn't have the warm screen.
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Don't worry. Just apply firm pressure. The components are not as weak as some here make it seem. This is just an assembly issue. Unfortunately, we see this kind of stuff on a lot of devices. I remember a thread about the Evo and the glass separating. Even iPhones have had bouts of these issues. China's QA sucks. Just apply firm pressure, squeezing while pushing the glass edge away from the plastic backing edge and the seal should mate just fine. When I first had mine, the home button wouldn't work all the time, and the led would often only show half the strip lit up. Doing this made the case flush and fixed the home button issues. Haven't had a problem since, and I used a good firm pressure.
    yep my EVO 4G has the screen lift but unlike the touchpad, that I fixed today with pressure, my phone needs a case to keep it from getting worse.
    Mine never clicked, but you could clearly see the seal fill the gap and the case stayed in place, as I would expect it to. At least on the TouchPad, you can, if you choose, take the case off and try to reinstall it. If you don't know what you are doing, though, I wouldn't do it.
    I had this issue. Called HP and they sent me a replacement
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikholaspappas View Post
    I had this issue. Called HP and they sent me a replacement
    I must have gotten a terrible CSR when I called...
    Quote Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post
    Hey everyone...

I am in the US, and I just got my TP on Monday (9/12), purchased as a bundle from QVC of all places...

I noticed the screen/glass separation on my TP as soon as I held it (you can feel the raised edge when holding it in portrait mode). The location of the separation on mine is on the left side, in the middle between the speakers. The gap between the glass and the rubber seal is big enough to slip a credit card inside.

I called HP, and explained the problem and was told that I had to return it to the retailer for exchange and I responded that they would most likely be out of stock since the demand for these things is so high. They gave me a reference number to call back with if I couldn't resolve it with the vendor. I called them and they were happy to refund my money if I returned it but they were out of stock (as expected), and I called HP back.

I then spent over an hour on the phone with HP - who claimed that hardware defects weren't covered under warranty unless I bought it from HP directly. I could send it in for repair (for a fee), but since it was purchased from another vendor and that the defect didn't exist when it left HP, it was therefore the fault of the vendor. I was stunned that they were not willing to repair the problem. I pushed the issue that there was no way that this happened between the time it left HP and went to the vendor, and pointed out the fact that the bundle packaging was clearly provided from HP. (It was packaged with a Touchstone and a case, in an incredibly well-designed custom fit box, with HP bundle labeling on the outside).

I was put on hold several times while the CSR talked to "management" and basically it was a "NO - we have to charge you to fix this defect". I asked to speak to a supervisor, and then asked what the fee to repair it would be...

THE FEE: $299!!!!! I laughed out loud and told him that was more than I paid for the tablet in the first place!

He then put me on hold to see if he could find someone I could talk to at a higher level. About 5 minutes later the CSR came back on the line and said that he had gotten approval to waive the fee and they will repair it after all. They are sending a shipping box and pre-paid shipping label, but it will take 7-10 days to get it back from the time they receive it.

So I was absolutely stunned that it was this difficult to get them to repair/replace a product that had an obvious defect out of the box. I guess I am happy with the result (provided that they actually do a proper job of repairing it), but I can't believe that HP was unwilling to support their product - even if it is a discontinued one.
    of course they are going to give you a hassle. they discontinued the item and sold it at a loss, to give warranty repairs would incur even more losses. im not saying what they are doing is acceptable but it makes sense from their financial standpoint. i myself have glass separation around the home button. i havent decided if i want to spend the time to try and get a repair. let me know if they actually do a good job of fixing it. i would like to know.

thanks
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drearyfela View Post
    of course they are going to give you a hassle. they discontinued the item and sold it at a loss, to give warranty repairs would incur even more losses. im not saying what they are doing is acceptable but it makes sense from their financial standpoint. i myself have glass separation around the home button. i havent decided if i want to spend the time to try and get a repair. let me know if they actually do a good job of fixing it. i would like to know.

thanks
    Will do. I just don't see how some people have no trouble getting cooperation from HP and I am told they flat out won't cover it since I didn't buy from HP - but they are happy to charge $299 to fix it.

I will be dropping it off with UPS tomorrow, but it probably won't arrive until Monday (2-day label was provided). I don't think I will see it again until next Friday at the earliest.
    Same issue. Top left corner. Bottom left corner seems more "sunken in" as well.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Well, I shipped my TP to them last Monday, it arrived on Wednesday. I just got a notification that the service has been "completed" along with a tracking number. The tracking number hasn't updated yet, but I'm assuming they'll be shipping it 2nd day, so I should have it back on Wednesday, I hope. I guess my real concern now, based on what others have said, is that they actually fixed it, and didn't just ship it back to me. Fingers crossed.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shafnitz View Post
    Well, I shipped my TP to them last Monday, it arrived on Wednesday. I just got a notification that the service has been "completed" along with a tracking number. The tracking number hasn't updated yet, but I'm assuming they'll be shipping it 2nd day, so I should have it back on Wednesday, I hope. I guess my real concern now, based on what others have said, is that they actually fixed it, and didn't just ship it back to me. Fingers crossed.
    Did you happen to check their online status tool to see how long it took from the time it was delivered to them, til the time that it went into actual repair status?

Thanks...
    Quote Originally Posted by shafnitz View Post
    hmmm mine went out the same day, received the same day but i have not heard anything yet. hopefully i hear something soon.... whats this online status tool? have not seen one anywhere.

found the status tool and it was unhelpful. just says pending with no other info. ugh.
    Last edited by lafester; 09/20/2011 at 12:33 AM.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post
    Did you happen to check their online status tool to see how long it took from the time it was delivered to them, til the time that it went into actual repair status?

Thanks...
    I didn't know there was a tool, so no.

Here's the status tool, for future reference:
    https://support.palm.com/eservice_en...Check+SRO+Load
    I sent mine out on the 8th of September and I am still waiting for my mine. I guess day 10 would be tomorrow or thursday? They said 7-10 days from the day you ship it out so I am hoping I get mine back and it's in perfect condition! The status checker on their site doesn't work for me. I put in my number and it says something is incorrect yet when I gave it to HP they said they received my package already and it's at the repair center. I don't want to be "that guy" and chat with them again...

Edit: How funny, I just got a tracking number for it. Looks like they do next day air. Sweet.
    Last edited by C.Bledsoejr; 09/20/2011 at 09:26 PM.
    make sure you capitalize your last name.
    at least that was my problem. of course it didn't help since it just says pending lol.

hopefully i get a tracking number soon as well. I have been without it now longer then i have had it.
    Quote Originally Posted by lafester View Post
    make sure you capitalize your last name.
    at least that was my problem. of course it didn't help since it just says pending lol.

hopefully i get a tracking number soon as well. I have been without it now longer then i have had it.
    Yeah, I sometimes fill things out with my suffix so I tried all sorts of combinations and none of them worked, lol. Oh well, I got the confirmation now so it should be here tomorrow.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast