Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KCTraveler View Post
    Did not notice it on the first 32GB unit I had but the 2nd 32GB TP is clearly raised at the bottom where the button is. Causes the button to be slightly recessed. Minor but noticeable.
    Did you get it back from HP? Is it all fixed now? Did you have to pay shipping?
    Quote Originally Posted by kenp1980m View Post
    I did not contact HP or send it for repair. Has not exceeded my tolerance for a $150 device yet.

I think amarico was who was looking at getting one repaired.
    I agree with crucialcolin, as long as its not majorly noticeable and or causing cuts/bleeding I'm ok with it. Seems like a at least some of the folks here are getting a bit OCD after reading about this "imperfection" and becoming unhappy finding some degree of this only after specifically looking for it. Interesting word choice for a "firesale" mass produced consumer product which is unlikely to be perfect. Now for those folks who have an extreme example it's probably worth seeing if HP will replace it with a better one, but it's almost certainly not going to be perfect.

As vladoski said, if it's not gonna mess with function I'd rather just keep it. As for my unit, like KCTraveler said, it has not exceeded my tolerance for a $150 device yet. I consider mine not broke so not gonna fix it. I saw in another thread on the same issues one guy who is now so upset that he wants to pull his apart to reseat the glass. Just sayin, the cure could be much worse than the disease. I've seen folks disassemble stuff to fix a minor problem and it never worked again.
    KCTraveler likes this.
    There are now a number of threads that point out design flaws in the HP Touchpad. This one is almost certainly caused by tolerances in the clips and case etc.
    Its no wonder that in the second version of the IPAD they decided to glue the case to the glass !!
    The Touchpad is obviously not a perfect design, HP realised this and it was one of the reasons that no doubt led to it being sold off in a fire sale. If people are looking for a totally defect free product I would sell your Touchpad on Ebay and spend $500 on an IPAD2. (Apple have had the time to iron out all these minor problems.)

Personally I love my Touchpad, I like the OS and the great way you can customise it. Best of all I like the price I paid. For this I can live with a few minor quibbles, I even enjoy them they are what makes my Touchpad unique
    mine does not have that problem..does have blown speakers though
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Here's what mine looks like. There are other places where the glass is raised, but this is the worst, by far. You can easily fit your fingernail under there. It also causes the home button to be recessed and difficult to press. I originally thought it was just a poor design, but after noticing this, I checked out my coworker's TP and the home button is much easier to press. Turns out it's supposed to be flush with the glass. If it wasn't too bad, I probably wouldn't worry about it, but I don't want it to get worse, so I might as well get it taken care of now.

Anyway, I got the shipping box in the mail yesterday (they must have over-nighted it). The CS rep said it would take 7-10 business days to get it back. I'll post how long the turnaround really is once I get it back.

Almost forgot to mention the best part of the phone call with CS. The girl actually asked me if I had tried to exchange it at the place I bought it. I was kind of caught off guard. I said, "Uh, pretty much nobody has these in stock anymore." I find it hard to believe she could be unaware of that.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kenp1980m View Post
    I ended up returning it to the store I got it for a refund. HP customer service is pretty awful. Not only did they fail to deliver a replacement usb lead (first one was DOA), but the box they were sending me out so I could return the touchpad for repair never showed up. However someone from UPS arrived half a week later to pick it up.. *stare*. The shipping would have been free though. The UPS guy had a prepaid label for the box that never came lol.

Luckily Comet came through with my 2nd touchpad order, so I got a refund on the first one. The best bit is, the 2nd touchpad has far less light bleed, no speaker cracking and although there's some slight bulging of the glass it's nothing like the other unit. Now just to hope that I don't have to ever talk to HP customer services again. Urgh.
    Mine had some bulging near the button, and I only noticed it because my button started to be intermittent and would only show about half of the LED light when lit. I quickly recognized that it was simply the placement of the glass/seal/case. I fixed it quite easily by simply using my thumb to apply a downward pressure while using my fingers to press the case towards the glass while at the same time applying lateral pressure in opposite direction for the glass and case. This allowed the glass, seal, and case to get just enough separation to allow the glass to slip down, the seal and case to slip up, and then letting go kept the pieces in the correct spot. Problem solved.

This is simply another example of China's "fine" workmanship. I also noticed that the other end of my Touchpad had this as well, but to a much lesser extent. Simply performing this trick around all the edges allows the case to properly seat around the case in a flush fashion. It might be easier for some to use your palm on the case and fingers on the glass. Either way, it works. You could always remove the case and try to remount it, but your more likely to have issues that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Mine had some bulging near the button, and I only noticed it because my button started to be intermittent and would only show about half of the LED light when lit. I quickly recognized that it was simply the placement of the glass/seal/case. I fixed it quite easily by simply using my thumb to apply a downward pressure while using my fingers to press the case towards the glass while at the same time applying lateral pressure in opposite direction for the glass and case. This allowed the glass, seal, and case to get just enough separation to allow the glass to slip down, the seal and case to slip up, and then letting go kept the pieces in the correct spot. Problem solved.

This is simply another example of China's "fine" workmanship. I also noticed that the other end of my Touchpad had this as well, but to a much lesser extent. Simply performing this trick around all the edges allows the case to properly seat around the case in a flush fashion. It might be easier for some to use your palm on the case and fingers on the glass. Either way, it works. You could always remove the case and try to remount it, but your more likely to have issues that way.
    So you used your thumb and fingers to pinch the glass front and back towards each other while at the same time shifting the glass and case in opposite directions? I tried that on mine but can't get it to un seal and slip down like you describe. The rubber on mine is also raised near the glass. Is that what is supposed to lower down and become flush with the case?
    I have the same thing happening with my 32gb Touchpad, in addition, I have a far bit of backlight bleeding. Pretty much stuck with it the way it is the way I see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techy View Post
    There are now a number of threads that point out design flaws in the HP Touchpad. This one is almost certainly caused by tolerances in the clips and case etc.
    Its no wonder that in the second version of the IPAD they decided to glue the case to the glass !!
    The Touchpad is obviously not a perfect design, HP realised this and it was one of the reasons that no doubt led to it being sold off in a fire sale. If people are looking for a totally defect free product I would sell your Touchpad on Ebay and spend $500 on an IPAD2. (Apple have had the time to iron out all these minor problems.)

Personally I love my Touchpad, I like the OS and the great way you can customise it. Best of all I like the price I paid. For this I can live with a few minor quibbles, I even enjoy them they are what makes my Touchpad unique
    Defect free, eh?

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3147385

Apple products are far from defect free.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowofbob View Post
    So you used your thumb and fingers to pinch the glass front and back towards each other while at the same time shifting the glass and case in opposite directions? I tried that on mine but can't get it to un seal and slip down like you describe. The rubber on mine is also raised near the glass. Is that what is supposed to lower down and become flush with the case?
    The rubber seal should be even with the glass and the case. Essentially, the case is supposed to snap around the glass with the seal providing the pressure against both to keep the glass and case even. Try using your palm and fingers if you can't get it with the fingers and thumb. Essentially, when you squeeze the case towards the glass, the edges should move slightly away from the glass allowing the seal to line up with both. Then releasing should keep them together. It really depends on how bad the alignment is.

You can also use one of those plastic tools used to separate two items and get the case to bend out far enough to get the two flush.
    Mine was like this, also. It was the first thing I noticed about my 32GB Touchpad. I sent it in for repairs because it actually had cracks in the speakers after a few days.

I hope it comes back fine I was thinking that it might have been the heat that caused the glass to separate. It was about 100-110 here when they were making deliveries and I got mine very late in the day (7PM). So I thought maybe the glue or rubber had separated due to the heat and sitting in the hot UPS truck all day.

I've definitely replaced a few screens on iPods, iPhones, and other phones, so I have a decent understanding of how the glass fits, but I didn't even want to risk prying open a new product that was under warranty, anyway. Should get it back this week.
    just put up some pictures of my hp touchpad it has a seperation at the top where camera is and the bottom is leveled. Sides the right speaker is abit raised. So should i try to get a replacement from hp? Don't have any speakers cracked and no bleeding. Could they just level the screen and send it back? Or should i leave it as it is? Sorry about the photos as u can see i suck at taking photos also its my iphone so quality not the best
    bottomtoptoptoptopbottomtop
    Quote Originally Posted by cheystar View Post
    just put up some pictures of my hp touchpad it has a seperation at the top where camera is and the bottom is leveled. Sides the right speaker is abit raised. So should i try to get a replacement from hp? Don't have any speakers cracked and no bleeding. Could they just level the screen and send it back? Or should i leave it as it is? Sorry about the photos as u can see i suck at taking photos also its my iphone so quality not the best
    lol i can barely tell that it's raised. if you want to go through the trouble of returning it go ahead. other people have much worse
    I've noticed this issue slightly on my 32 GB TouchPad as well. I just slapped a case on it and hope it will go away on its own or otherwise not be very noticeable. ;p
    Quote Originally Posted by cheystar View Post
    Do what I did, or something similar. Might be best to simply take your hand and put your palm on the case behind the button, then put your fingers on the glass and then push the glass away from the side of the case while squeezing the case to the glass. This has a pretty good chance at leveling out the seal. Worked for me. You can then do the same to the camera side.
    I am scared I might screw it up. Is there anyway you could put up a video lol
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Do what I did, or something similar. Might be best to simply take your hand and put your palm on the case behind the button, then put your fingers on the glass and then push the glass away from the side of the case while squeezing the case to the glass. This has a pretty good chance at leveling out the seal. Worked for me. You can then do the same to the camera side.
    Mines exactly the same, only paid $100 for it so I am going to live with it. If anything more serious goes wrong it will go back.

My guess is if you send it in for repair they will refurb it anyway (case probably gets damaged during opening), which will likely involves a new glass, case and other replacement parts.
    Sods law says that you send it in for something thats a minor cosmetic and get it back with a slightly more irritating minor cosmetic fault.

If I had paid $500 I would have a different attitude, but then the shops would have stock and I would exchange it till I got it perfect.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    I initially paid 400 bones for mine, and even though I was refunded $300, I still believe that I deserve a perfect device for the money I put down. I called HP and got it set up to have a box sent to me to send it in, and they sent it back remarkably quickly. Problem is, they sent me my original Touchpad with nothing changed. So while I would be glad if I had paid firesale price initially, I still think of it as a device that came out as a $500 device, and I paid $400 for it. I expect as a consumer to get a device free of defects from the manufacturer. Moral of the story, if the separation is small, get over it, because HP is not going to help you.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast