Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I'm going into college as a computer science student. I already own a 2011 iMac, and I'm wondering what the drawbacks would be in getting a TouchPad instead of a Macbook Air. As I've never been to college before, I don't really know to what extent laptops are used in classes. The TouchPad's battery life is a huge draw for me, but I don't know what functionality I'd lose. I'm also open to the iPad as option, depending on what would work better.

Thanks.
    Don't...

Get a laptop. Macbook air, or any other laptop, but don't get a tablet for school. You need proper office software, and a real keyboard. Maybe in a few years, but most people cannot work nearly as well on today's tablets.
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    Don't...

Get a laptop. Macbook air, or any other laptop, but don't get a tablet for school. You need proper office software, and a real keyboard. Maybe in a few years, but most people cannot work nearly as well on today's tablets.
    NO tablet should replace a laptop YET.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kyleoXD View Post
    NO tablet should replace a laptop YET.
    True. Especially a tablet which has no "Office" editing abilities yet.
    go with the macbook air and if you want a pc then I would recommend the HP dm1. Just my 2 cents.
    I am a college student, I have an HP dm4. It is great because it is lightweight with a decent battery life....
    but honestly

Buy the Touchpad for college. Get used to the keyboard...the document editing will come soon enough and Google docs can be used before then. Why get a Touchpad for college? Battery life? No way. The reason : Multitasking, cloud storage for your documents/notes, portability.....I've seen students using iPads for taking notes and if you are comfortable enough with the virtual keyboard then just use that or get the bluetooth keyboard.

This is coming from someone who has a portable laptop for school, tablets are the next college tool and they're ready to go...especially the Touchpad because it has 50gb cloud storage.
    College CS

touchpad wont cut it for you

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    I'd suggest something much better than a Macbook air, and much cheaper.

13-inch : 128GB
    1.86GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
    2GB memory
    128GB flash storage1
    NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics
    Ships: Within 24hrs
    Free Shipping
    $1,299.00

versus my
    Dell XPS 15 320 GB
    2.3 GHz dual core processor
    4GB memory
    Nvidia 525M 1GB cache

$789, would've been 749 but I wanted the backlit keyboard.

Sorry, but regarding the tablet, most classes require a laptop, especially since the Touchpad can't USB host or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    milominderbinde likes this.
    I would suggest any HP computer.

DON'T get the Macs because they are very weak in the computer science/IT department. You are going to have to install programming programs, ext..
    Quote Originally Posted by kyleoXD View Post
    I would suggest any HP computer.

DON'T get the Macs because they are very weak in the computer science/IT department. You are going to have to install programming programs, ext..
    At the university I'm going to, they require mac users to dual boot Windows in Computer Science/Engineering where I'm going into
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Thanks for the responses. I'm going to stick with the MBA plan then (@Jakeeeeee I have a desktop already for anything intensive).

EDIT: But for the money I could get a dm1z AND a TouchPad/iPad. *evil cackle*
    Quote Originally Posted by anifan View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I'm going to stick with the MBA plan then (@Jakeeeeee I have a desktop already for anything intensive).

EDIT: But for the money I could get a dm1z AND a TouchPad/iPad. *evil cackle*
    Don't pay over $900 for a laptop.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    College CS

touchpad wont cut it for you

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    You know what I love about you, you could have said no tablet cuts it but instead you had to get the dig in at the TouchPad.
    get a touchpad anyway. For fun. I did and I love it so far!!!!!!
    Jake_M likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    You know what I love about you, you could have said no tablet cuts it but instead you had to get the dig in at the TouchPad.
    well, I carefully read the thread title and understand what he was asking. I really don't know if there is a programming app on iPad or android, I don't want to risk making false claims at this time in point.
    I agree with the posters above that you want a real Kb, esp if you're going to be doing any programming. to be honest, I think one of the best things a student can get is a Livescribe smartpen. that is some awesomeness there.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    I think one of the best things a student can get is a Livescribe smartpen. that is some awesomeness there.
    Agreed! It is a great tool for classes that pass a lot of info in lectures.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    email one of the lecturers and find out what OS best ties in with the course.

A tablet won't cut it on a computer science course.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I agree with most people here. The touchpad is not a tablet replacement. Maybe when it gets a wider variety of productivity apps. If you plan on getting one anyways you may be able to get somethings done if you have a constant internet connection, but a laptop or even a netbook would be more useful for practical purposes.
    WebOS Devices: Palm Pre-, HP Touchpad
    Android: HTC G1, HTC Evo 4G
    As a computer science major, you're almost certainly going to need some intensive applications that will require compatibility with a mainstream OS, which is probably going to be Windows. The processing power, storage capacity, and software compatibility of a tablet are all going to be insufficient for your needs.

My advice is go to to a retailer with many laptops on display and play around with them. Get a feel for the keyboards, the build quality, and maybe even a model you like. Then check the prices on that model online and direct from the manufacturer and save $50-100. NEVER EVER purchase a laptop from Best Buy. EVER.

There will be a time when cloud based services will handle all the heavy lifting of running the software you need, but I don't see that for another few years yet.

If you're set on getting a tablet to use, don't even think about a TouchPad until it has verified document editing. HP has said document editing is coming, but they also said flash and webOS 2.0 were coming to legacy devices, etc. If Quick Office demands too much money or decides the adoption rate on the TouchPad stinks they could easily shut down development, and then you'd have a $500+ brick for college courses.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast