Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes
    i would suggest that you get a windows laptop cause you may be asked to download some programs to use at home but the HP Envy would perfect cause it would sync easier with a tp and it also has quad core SoC
    Toshiba Portege R705-P35, less than 700 bucks, Core i3, 3 pounds, 13.3" screen, 6 - 8 hr battery, won't break the bank. Sold at bestbuy, so you can walk in and play with it.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by iverieli View Post
    Loosers! Guy asked about touchpad and they offering some junk PC hardware. Lol.

Leave him, no laptop will replace today's MacBook Air, not even dream about it, loosers.
    "loosers"? Did your MacBook Air spell check miss that one?
    Quote Originally Posted by ericblackdv View Post
    "loosers"? Did your MacBook Air spell check miss that one?
    I don't have any MacBook Air, sold it. I have iMac. I put in two "o" specially.

He said, he has iMac at home, 2011 model, do you imagine how powerful and great machine is? and when somebody using mac for desktop computer, then there is no way to buy some PC junk with windows if job not require.

He said, want Touchpad for college, and how good it will be, if not then his alternative laptop is Air.

You people sitting here and trolling like 12 years old boys and advising him to buy. Would you like to advice in two pages to go and buy some junky android phone, when you looking Pre 3?? I think you not. When you know how great WebOS is you don't go for android.

Same for mac users, its stupid and unacceptable to offer Windows PC junk people who really care about Mac OS systems. Enough!
    A tablet is for consumption. A laptop is for production.

As a CS student you you produce endless amounts of code, and lab write-ups, and papers.

If you don't already use all the keyboard shortcuts, you will soon. Keyboard shortcuts are nearly impossible on a touchscreen.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Thats pretty funny considering the air is using PC hardware and has whopping 128GB of storage.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/02/2011 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Quoted text deleted
    A lot of text books come with cd's, so I would think you would need a cd or dvd drive. Even if you are only sharing notes with someone, I'd think you would at least need to connect a thumbdrive.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    As a college student myself (about to be a Sophomore), let me give you the low-low.

1. Wait until you get your university email/id and then sign up for student discounts for any company you are buying from. HUGE savings!

2. You say you have an iMac. If you get a laptop, you will be using the desktop less and less. I would recommend selling your iMac to fund your next laptop + tablet.

3. I would recommend the HP Envy 14 (I have one). Build quality is as good as the Macbook. Right now, it on sale for around 800. I bought my Beats Edition at 1,500.

4. With the money you save from buying the high-end HP Envy vs the underpowered Air, you can also buy the TouchPad.

5. Yeah
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    As a college student myself (about to be a Sophomore), let me give you the low-low.

1. Wait until you get your university email/id and then sign up for student discounts for any company you are buying from. HUGE savings!

2. You say you have an iMac. If you get a laptop, you will be using the desktop less and less. I would recommend selling your iMac to fund your next laptop + tablet.

3. I would recommend the HP Envy 14 (I have one). Build quality is as good as the Macbook. Right now, it on sale for around 800. I bought my Beats Edition at 1,500.

4. With the money you save from buying the high-end HP Envy vs the underpowered Air, you can also buy the TouchPad.

5. Yeah
    lol.

1. Absolutely correct. Same in UK.

2. Thats what I did. Sold my iMac today, already get MacBook and awaiting my pre-ordered Touchpad.

3. Ohohooo, you saying to replace whole systems to Windows PC, you kidding right? Why you PC guys still not understand that, mac is not only hardware and good looking design, macs have best operation system in the world, accept that! No one who using mac's wont thats stupid windows.

You all are too happy about WebOS and I absolutely understand and know why, because I like this way Mac OS X, but not iOS 4.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/02/2011 at 04:36 PM. Reason: inappropriate comments
    OSX is the best OS in the world? Nah.
    Soorma and akshunj like this.
    Sure you can get a Macbook like any other student. My library looks like a Apple store with every 3 out of 4 student having a Macbook. Why? Because everybody else has one.

Any laptop purchase should not be based on the OS. Any CS student can get whatever OS he wants to run on anything he wants.
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    If you are a CS major, then you better make sure that your school endorses Apple because there are some programs for programming, virtualization, and simulations that may not run on Apple products. Also, I am required to download from the MSDNAA website for stuff like VMWare and MS Office and I do not see any Apple downloads - my school requires Windows computers for IT majors.
    Soorma likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12