Like Tree12Likes
  • 10 Post By EvilKell
  • 1 Post By somline
  • 1 Post By duesselschorsch
  1.    #1  
    Considering all the information in the forums, and the repeating questions, I think an FAQ of the facts only would be really helpful.

Q. If I attempt to setup my TouchPad using my legacy devices 1.4.x Profile, will my phone we wiped out? What will happen?

A. Your HP Profile will clone your webOS 1.x profile, convert that clone to webOS 3.x, and then use it with the TouchPad. The result is many of your existing 1.4.x applications associated with your webOS 1.x profile will be downloaded to the TouchPad, but the webOS 1.x apps will be available only in Emulator Mode. This is normally a one time only event. Changes to your TouchPad or legacy webOS HP/Palm profiles will not see each other as the profiles cannot seemingly be truly shared from webOS 1.x to webOS 3.x. The jury is still a little bit out on specifically how the webOS 1.x profile is cloned so it may somehow be possible to re-clone the devices again.

Q. Can I forward phone calls and SMS messages from my phone to my TouchPad via Bluetooth?

A. Yes and no. The TouchPad can pair with seemingly all webOS smartphones (and probably all smartphones with Bluetooth) and act as a Bluetooth headset so you can forward voice calls to your TouchPad. SMS's are not handled as a voice headset function, and in order to forward text messages, you'll need to be using a webOS 2.2+ device. Only the Pre3 is currently running webOS 2.2+. The Veer will get webOS 2.2 as an OTA update.

Q. Can I use Touch to Share with my phone and the TouchPad?

A. Only devices running webOS 2.2+ will be able to use Touch to Share. The only device currently running webOS 2.2+ is the Pre3. The Veer will get webOS 2.2 as an OTA update. In addition, the webOS 2.2 device will need to have the A6 chip to use the Touch to Share function so that means legacy devices, and even the Palm Pre 2 will likely never be able to use the TTS function, even if they're been customized to run webOS 2.2+.

Q. Can the microUSB port on the TouchPad be used with an adapter for video out or for a card reader or other tethered device?

A. Not currently. Hardware capabilities to support these hosting functions are unknown, but if the hardware changes have been made, it may be possible for a software update to enable these functions.

Q. Does the wi-fi TouchPad have GPS?

A. No. Mixed initial reports have been clarified. The TouchPad's chipset is the Snapdragon based APQ8060, which is not the very similar MSM8660 chipset. The APQ8060 does not have the connectivity features of the MSM8660 so the TouchPad has no integrated chipset GPS, and the Atheros integrated wifi GPS is just wifi network triangulation, not true GPS. There is at least one confirmed GPS navigation app, nDrive, which will allow you to use locally stored maps to navigate using network triangulation for a starting point without a 3G data connection or true GPS; however, any navigation app relying on on wifi connection and network triangulation for an initial starting point will offer limited functionality.

Q. Will the TouchPad's battery last a full day or more between charges?

A. While user results will vary, most users should be able to get at least a full day or more of normal usage from their TouchPad between charging.

Q. Will existing wi-fi keyboards and mice work with the TouchPad or do I have to buy the special HP TouchPad accessories?

A. Some users have tested and been successful using their non-HP Bluetooth keyboards and mice with complete success. Some accessories may not be supported, but it seems like most devices should work normally when pairing with the TouchPad.

Q. How do you take pictures with the TouchPad?

A. Currently, there is no dedicated camera app for the TouchPad. The camera only works through Skype, though there are almost certainly apps that will be coming.

Q. How many applications are available for the TouchPad?

A. HP has indicated the TouchPad currently has about 300 applications available which is far more than Android has for Honeycomb. More applications are going to be launching every day.

Q. My TouchPad has locked up or is not responding, how do I reset it?

A. If your TouchPad needs a reboot for whatever reason, Press and hold the "up volume" & "home button" & "power button" all at the same time for about 10 seconds.
    Last edited by EvilKell; 07/08/2011 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Updated GPS Info; Shared Profile; Touch To Share; Reboot procedure
    Wait, what? The Touchpad DOES have GPS?
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Q. Can I use Touch to Share with my phone and the TouchPad?

A. Only devices running webOS 2.2+ will be able to use Touch to Share. The only device currently running webOS 2.2+ is the Pre3. The Veer will get webOS 2.2 as an OTA update.
    I like to add, that Touch to Share depends on the new A6 chip in the device.
    My understanding is that TTS will only work with Veer, Pre3 and future devices.
    E.g. not the Pre2 even if it gets 2.2+

First time I hear it has GPS. Is it really confirmed?
    What I have heard is that it can use Googles location service based on ip-adresses and maybe known wifi locations.

Nice thread.
    hparsons likes this.
    someone open up "location" services in a real touchpad and in the top left preferences, see what options are available for "locate me" - I'll bet it's only google's location based service. (but GPS on wi-fi model would be cool though not holding breath).

Mods: make this a STICKY post
    There's only Google Location Services, no GPS in the preferences menu on my 16G TouchPad.

Georg
    3putt likes this.
  6.    #6  
    GPS is not available with the wi-fi TouchPad.

The teardown of the TouchPad indicating the TouchPad used an MSM8660 chipset containing a chipset with GPS built in was incorrect. The TouchPad actually uses the APQ8060 chipset which is basically an MSM8660 without any of the connectivity features. Furthermore, there is a front page article on PreCentral detailing information about the currently available nDrive GPS navigation app which has been updated to clarify no real GPS is available.

NDrive HD Navigation now on the HP TouchPad | The #1 HP / Palm webOS Community | PreCentral.net

The device does not have A-GPS, which is assisted GPS so it will take longer to establish a lock on your position as data towers are not helping the initial lock.
    Last edited by EvilKell; 07/06/2011 at 01:17 AM. Reason: TouchPad uses APQ8060 without integrated GPS.
    GPS is CONFIRMED with the wi-fi TouchPad.

The teardown of the TouchPad showed it contained a a chipset with GPS built in. Furthermore, there is a front page article on PreCentral detailing information about the currently available nDrive GPS navigation app.

NDrive HD Navigation now on the HP TouchPad | The #1 HP / Palm webOS Community | PreCentral.net

The device does not have A-GPS, which is assisted GPS so it will take longer to establish a lock on your position as data towers are not helping the initial lock.
    From your link:

UPDATE: Yes, it is true that turn-by-turn navigation is a bit hard to use on a device that does not continually have GPS by default (the TouchPad is currently wifi only). But there are reasons why this app is still a viable option, especially considering a 3G version of the TouchPad is already on the way.
    A-GPS is not needed if you have accurate maps. Since there is ample storage in the TP. Having maps for the country (or continent for that matter) would not be an issue. Stand alone GPS like Tom Tom have their maps loaded on device they work fine. It shouldn't be a problem there. What needs to be done is have those companies make apps like they do for the Iphone. Where this will be better is with the 7in Opal TP. That can be a more manageable device for resting on the dashboard.
    Although I agree with most of the original post, I'm sorry, I cannot believe that the wi-fi model has "GPS" of any kind, shape or form, nor does it have "A-GPS", especially after TechCrunch tore it apart.

The best the wi-fi model can do is (with wi-fi ON) use Googles IP Locator Service that uses open wi-fi Hotspots to connect to the service and ping back to Google where Google then returns a calculated position (yes via the wi-fi Hotspot), and the more open Hotspots around you there are (starbucks, mcdonalds, aunt sally's, etc...), the more accurate the triangulation is pinpointing your location.
    It basically is the same theory that GPS and A-GPS use except it uses mulitple wi-fi IP addresses stored in Googles geo-database to triangulate instead of satellites or cell-towers.
    Obviously using in urban area's is more accurate than rural areas simply due to the density of available open hotspots. I would not believe a lot grain silos or wheat fields have a lot hotspots open or closed. In urban area's this service can still be off by several blocks or more. The best I ever heard as far as accuracy was 1 Block.

The ironic thing about this service is it's the one that several governments are investigating Google for for illegally scanning and collecting said IP addresses+Geo Location and theoretically violating privacy rights of the owners, where Google has responded by saying the data was "collected by accident", but still uses the data for this service.

Don't get me wrong the availability of NDrive and other mapping software is fantastic (I would like to see Garmin software myself), as anyone who's ever used google maps or sprint GPS knows when you loose data signal, you also loose the maps and ability to find your destination especially if it's rural. Which is why I mostly use my Garmin Nuvi 765.

Myself, I will be investigating the use of Bluetooth GPS receivers like those found here
    Bluetooth GPS - GPS Hardware & Software
    and just affixing one in my truck that my TouchPad can connect to when needed, and or just seeing if the WebOS phones can share their A-GPS signals with the paired TouchPad, wouldn't that be cool!
    Last edited by Downtime500; 07/05/2011 at 01:23 PM.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Downtime500 View Post
    Although I agree with most of the original post, I'm sorry, I cannot believe that the wi-fi model has "GPS" of any kind, shape or form, nor does it have "A-GPS", especially after TechCrunch tore it apart...
    There was another teardown link indicating one of the TouchPad's chipset components had GPS built into it (not a separate GPS device). After tracking information down, it seems as though the TouchPad's processor was probably misidentified as the MSM8660 instead of the APQ8060.

The APQ8060 is a cheapened version of the MSM8660 without any of the integrated connectivity features, including GPS.

I agree that wi-fi triangulation cannot be interchanged with "GPS" and the FAQ has been updated with corrected information. Sorry for the incorrect info!
    Last edited by EvilKell; 07/06/2011 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Updated.
    I agree that wi-fi triangulation cannot be interchanged with "GPS" and the FAQ has been updated with corrected information. Sorry for the incorrect info!
    It's a great post EvilKell, keep them coming. Your a good webOS owner and I don't care what the apple fanbouys say about you.
    Can you please update the touch to share. It's connected to the hardware (A6) and software of course.
    Q. If I attempt to setup my TouchPad using my legacy devices 1.4.x Profile, will my phone we wiped out? What will happen?

A. Your HP Profile will copy your webOS 1.x profile, convert that copy to webOS 3.x, and use it with the TouchPad. The result is many of your existing 1.4.x applications will be carried across to the TouchPad, but they will be available only in Emulator Mode. This is a one time only event. Changes to your TouchPad or legacy webOS device will not see each other as the profiles cannot seemingly be truly shared from webOS 1.x to webOS 3.x..
    I think this one could use a little clarification.
    I've doctored my phone many times, and the process I saw on the TouchPad was very similar (virtually identical) to what I've seen on my phone.

Here's what I think is happening:

If you select an active profile on a new (or newly Doctored) device, the backup is pushed down to that device. Applications are downloaded new (if they can be downloaded to that program), since only your access to those applications are saved in your profile (not the actual application itself).

In addition, HP recently added SMS messages to the backup. These were pushed down to my TP as well, though no new SMS messages get to it.

With that in mind, I don't think this is a "one time only event". That said, the information is not updated from one device to another automatically.

I've got my phone where I want it, so don't really want to doctor again (though I might change my mind in "the coming months"), and haven't tried to redoctor my TP yet. If anyone has, I'd be interested in seeing the following (from someone that has a <= 2.1.0 phone and a TouchPad):

Doctoring the Phone
    • Do SKYPE message received on the TouchPad show up in the saved messages?
    • Do you still get the same App Catalog apps you got before (including those that didn't pull down to the TouchPad)?
    • Did any TouchPad only apps show up on the phone (or any apps that required an OS > the one you have on the phone)

Doctoring the TouchPad
    • Did you get all of the same "Phone apps" (Mojo apps written for the phone) that you got the first time?
    • Did you get new "Phone apps" that you've added to either the phone or the TouchPad?
    • Did you get any SMS messages that were received after the last time you set up your TouchPad?

Here's my suspicions:
    The Backup database is identical for both devices
    The Backups are cumulative - that is information not deleted from either device (such as locally stored contacts, and SMS and Skype messages) will stay in the backup, but will be deleted from the backup for either device if they are deleted.
    Neither device will pull down applications that won't run (or aren't approved) on that device.

I also found it interesting that you still go to www.palm.com/profile to access the profiles, that it's still a palm.com domain, and still has Palm all over the information. As a matter of fact, if I select Device Options on the TouchPad, I still get "I lost my phone" as one of the options. (in the attached screenshot, I clciked on Device Options on my TouchPad) I suspect they haven't bothered much with prettying this up yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  14.    #14  
    Updates made. hparsons, the TouchPad's User Guide on page 50 reads:

Quote Originally Posted by TouchPad User Guide
    When setting up your device, you can choose to sign in to an existing HP
    webOS Account that you may already be using with a webOS
    smartphone (see What is an HP webOS Account?). If you decide to sign
    in to an existing account, you can choose to do a one-time transfer of the
    data stored in the existing HP webOS Account to your device.
    Since I'm not sure how the clone of the webOS 1.x profile is made, I've updated the profile sync information, but I'm not optimistic the TouchPad, even after a doctor, would ever re-clone the webOS 1.x profile. Doctoring the device doesn't wipe out the HP profile so I would expect the TouchPad to sync with the existing webOS 3.x profile once you go back through device setup.
    Thanks for the update. I still say it's important, especially to new users, that it's understood that the information provided is personal opinion, rather than facts (when that's the case). As you said, you're not sure how the clone is made, and you're not optimistic. Those are indicators that we're all just trying to figure this out as we go. Unfortunately, a new user may see something that's a sticky, and take it as gospel.

I'm going to experiment around some with the profiles this weekend.

I don't think there is a "cloning" being done. I believe the device sees that there is a profile, and pulls down the backup that exists (a 1.4.5 or a 2.1 profile), then converts it on the device to the new database structure.

The TouchPad is then backed up, and that's what creates the profile for the TouchPad.

In the past, we could delete the backup. I never paid attention to the status of the profile. It would be interesting to see what happens if the backup is erased.
    Since I'm not sure how the clone of the webOS 1.x profile is made, I've updated the profile sync information, but I'm not optimistic the TouchPad, even after a doctor, would ever re-clone the webOS 1.x profile. Doctoring the device doesn't wipe out the HP profile so I would expect the TouchPad to sync with the existing webOS 3.x profile once you go back through device setup.

I doctored my TouchPad. When reinitializing, it asks me which set of backed up data I want to pull down, offering the Pres as one of the options (which I chose for this test). Choosing the Pre's backup restored the one memo I had, that I had deleted on the TouchPad, and left on the Pre.

Though the documentation states "one time transfer", apparently that "one time" is reset if you doctor the device.
    Some other things I noticed after doctoring:

• Not all of the original apps pulled down. I don't see a pattern on what did pull down, but I know there were more the first time (maybe some of the updates to the catalog affected it?)
    • All of the more current SMS messages (on the Pre) pulled down
    • My USB drive appears to have remained untouched - screenshots were still there, as were my music files
    It also doesn't appear that you can connect to WiFi that has non-alphanumeric characters. I fixed that on a tip from an old post here. How annoying to have every other wireless device that's been on the network for the last eight years didn't have any problems, but NOW I have issues. Ugh.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    I can't connect my HTC Desire to the TouchPad. Not sure why I'd want to do it, but I tried and it didn't work

Alan