Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ryancell
  1.    #1  
    Anyone having issues with a low screen brightness? Yes, I have my brightness turned all the way up and yes, I have to auto-dim turned off.

Side by side by side with the iPad 2 and the Galaxy Tab 10.1, the brightness seems very dim. Almost a grayish color instead of a true white.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I am assuming their is a light sensor on the device? Is it always on? Or is that the Auto-Dim setting?

Thanks
  2.    #2  
    OK, this thing must adjust brightness on its own? Even with the auto dim turned off?

I rebooted and now it is much brighter.... For a while... And then it is dimmer...

Thoughts?
    Joshua toposki's review mentioned TP is dimmer

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Can't you just turn up brightness with auto dim still on? Too High brightness hurts my eyes, the default setting is good for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codeworks View Post
    OK, this thing must adjust brightness on its own? Even with the auto dim turned off?

I rebooted and now it is much brighter.... For a while... And then it is dimmer...

Thoughts?
    Well there are "two" brightness settings on the device; one is the light sensor auto dim that can be disabled, the other is the power level auto dim that reduces as the battery power drains down. The second one does not have a setting that I know of.
    I have noticed the same thing. The screen just gets randomly dim and it is frustrating to me. I actually took mine back to best buy and the Geek Squad guy just acted like I didn't know what I am talking about. Compared to my iPad and my Asus Eee Pad the screen on the TP just does not get bright and contrasty enough. It actually looks like the white balance is off and the tone is too warm.

Anyone else noticing these issues?

Anyone having issues with a low screen brightness? Yes, I have my brightness turned all the way up and yes, I have to auto-dim turned off.

Side by side by side with the iPad 2 and the Galaxy Tab 10.1, the brightness seems very dim. Almost a grayish color instead of a true white.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I am assuming their is a light sensor on the device? Is it always on? Or is that the Auto-Dim setting?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    936 Global Posts
    ASASEABAN been very kind and put some videos together showing the Touchpads strengths vs the iPAD. http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-ipad-2-a.html

Looks very dim in this video:

Shouldnt it look pretty much the same as I thought the Touchpad also got IPS-panel?
    Last edited by Andreas; 07/06/2011 at 04:36 AM.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post

Shouldnt it look pretty much the same as I thought the Touchpad also got IPS-panel?
    joshua toposki said in his review that touchpad is dimmer.

Shouldn't brightness depend on light source? Does it have anything to do with IPS panel?

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    I have noticed the fluctuating dimming as well, seemingly for no reason.
  10.    #10  
    I have played around with this quite a bit after posting the original question. Even with the auto brightness turned off, the screen definitely does adjust according to the brightness level. I am also on my 2nd Touchpad and both of them have the issue.

If you are in a very bright place, it will get brighter. If poorly lit, it will dim a bit.

If you turn off and back on, the screen will be bright again (for a while), otherwise, if you hold under a light bulb for 10 seconds, it will do the same thing : )

Hopefully this will be fixed.
    Yes, my screen brightness changes even with auto-adjust turned off.
    Same here, I like the brightness all the way up with auto dim off. Surely we'll see fixes faster now. I remember when the Pre was new it seemed they were very on top of things, and with HP's scale, hopefully we see even more prompt updates.
    Rennat likes this.
    Nice bit of research on this. Hopefully there is enough knowledge about it over at HP to fix the issue.

I have played around with this quite a bit after posting the original question. Even with the auto brightness turned off, the screen definitely does adjust according to the brightness level. I am also on my 2nd Touchpad and both of them have the issue.

If you are in a very bright place, it will get brighter. If poorly lit, it will dim a bit.

If you turn off and back on, the screen will be bright again (for a while), otherwise, if you hold under a light bulb for 10 seconds, it will do the same thing : )

Hopefully this will be fixed.
    I wonder if HP is keeping the screen dim on purpose to help save battery life. If the brightness was equal to that of the iPad 2, the battery life would drop by around 30%, making the numbers look abysmal to the competition.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    Didn't want to create a new thread, but where is the autodim sensor?
    Sometimes the screen goes dim, and I don't know if its because I'm covering the sensor or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aston Martin View Post
    Didn't want to create a new thread, but where is the autodim sensor?
    Sometimes the screen goes dim, and I don't know if its because I'm covering the sensor or not.
    Its in Setting>screen&lock>
    Quote Originally Posted by rshankv View Post
    Its in Setting>screen&lock>
    I know that :-P where is the sensor?