Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bluenote
  1.    #1  
    Seems to me if HP was smart they'd advertise all these great services that they're offering to customers in one place, maybe next to the TP in the store or on their website?!?

I can confirm the Box.net account upgrade to 50 Gigs! A TouchPad Software update upgraded the version of the Box.net app I downloaded through the App Catalog. When I opened the new app, it informed me that my account has been upgraded - so I logged into the Box.net site and low-and-behold, saw the following:

3.    #3  
    If you follow the links I provided, they take you directly to the sign up page or page you want to be on.
    Thanks deesugar.... I was replying to another post that is now gone. I didn't know those bullet points were links until you pointed it out (since they weren't underlined).
  5.    #5  
    HelloNNNewman, you should tell the powers that be at PC that the changes they've made to the site have removed the visual hyperlink in posts
    Seems pretty obvious why HP doesn't advertise these outright.

$50 rebate: this is only for legacy pre 1/plus and pixi 1/plus owners, and they already emailed them directly. If they were to advertise this, people would start complaining. "I have a Pre 2, what about me?!" or "What about my country?!" and similar questions. It would be a firestorm. Plus does HP really want to lose $50 per legacy owner touchpad? I honestly think it was just a marketing stunt.

Free 50 GB: HP doesn't advertise this because they want you to buy the 32 GB touchpad.

Butler service: The reason why people buy tablets is because they are easier to use than computers. Start advertising the Butler service and the common person might start thing that the Touchpad is too complicated and needs a Butler service to get setup/use.
  7.    #7  
    thermodynamic, the point of advertising is to entice people to buy your product or at least take a closer look.

• Your First Point: Is why "fine print" is often used in advertising.
    • Point Two: W.T.F?!? HP doesn't want people to buy 16GB TP? Please show me where HP has alluded to that. They want sales, period. Plus online storage is not the same as internal, remember these are WiFi only units.
    • Three: Is plain silly. The general public needs help with stuff [See Geek Squad]. People who are on PreCentral will just look at it and think, "Cool, I don't need it but cool."
    It is mentioned on the Palm blog. I imagine the big advertising will come in mid-july after the first OTA. Apparently there is a huge project unfinished that will make the software run faster and they ran out of time to finish it before the launch.

The Official HP Palm Blog: TouchPad by the numbers
    deesugar likes this.
    I don't know whether to Thank or Like....but at any rate...I am wondering the same deesugar
  10.    #10  
    w2wpaul
    When in doubt, do both

Happy 4th Weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    thermodynamic, the point of advertising is to entice people to buy your product or at least take a closer look.

• Your First Point: Is why "fine print" is often used in advertising.
    • Point Two: W.T.F?!? HP doesn't want people to buy 16GB TP? Please show me where HP has alluded to that. They want sales, period. Plus online storage is not the same as internal, remember these are WiFi only units.
    • Three: Is plain silly. The general public needs help with stuff [See Geek Squad]. People who are on PreCentral will just look at it and think, "Cool, I don't need it but cool."
    Its not fine point, its useless, it only apply to very few ppl and most likely not those who doesnt know this. There is really no point. If you think cheaper price will attract more buyer, ask hp to lower the price, not doing useless deceptive tricks.

Second points, just check how many stores only have 32gb version in stock, and you will know hp has put much more focus on pushibg 32g model.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    It is mentioned on the Palm blog. I imagine the big advertising will come in mid-july after the first OTA. Apparently there is a huge project unfinished that will make the software run faster and they ran out of time to finish it before the launch.
    I'm pretty sure that's the case and that you won't see any advertising until the middle of the month. On the product datasheet for the TouchPad on Amazon I saw that HP had actually put out an ad embargo on the TouchPad until 7/17. I could be wrong, but you probably won't see it advertised in store flyers until then. Going from past experience, I would also say that you should expect an update to the OS around that time and that all accessories orders should be filled by then.

Here's the link to the touchpad datasheet from Amazon. Its on the bottom right section of page two under additional information.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...9_05-20-11.pdf
    HP is not Apple, and they are in for the long haul.

I think they wanted a soft launch, and maybe a launch of all three 'Veer, Touchpad and Pre3', then the advertising will be much stronger.

If things are not quite ready, this is a good way to do it, meet your promised ship date, but keep it relatively quiet while you wait for the intial user and reveiwer comments.

Continue to tweak the software, address any issues that are coming in from the initial soft launch, then let the reviewers know you have fixed the problems and hit the advertising accelerator when the unit is out for a while and the OS is tweaked and the apps starts to roll in.

Andrew
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    two words soft launch.....
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I also think that HP recognizes the strength of the Palm community and they know that we sell their products better than most of the people in retail stores to our friends, family, and coworkers. What could be better than giving us a head start to use the tablet before the advertising blitz starts (aside from giving everybody one free)?