Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I already know that it doesnt have the GPS.... but does it have the digital compass? or this will be available also only on the SIM version?
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    It does have compass, but I also thought it had GPS.
    Sprint Palm Pre 1.4.5 @ 1G
    Pretty sure it has GPS as well...HP press releases say as much.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
  4.    #4  
    The GPS should be only in the SIM version... but the compass?
    akshunj likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walhalla2k View Post
    The GPS should be only in the SIM version... but the compass?
    it has GPS, A-GPS is on the SIM version. A-GPS uses cell towers triangulation+GPS for faster initial sync.

but then I see this:
    Nor does the TouchPad offer GPS, though that’s rumored to be coming.
    --> http://news.consumerreports.org/elec...-touchpad.html

if they did the wifi only without GPS, wow that is stupid, all the competition has it, and it is very useful. I use mine as a navigator as the google navigation rocks. and the size is excellent.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    Don't need it, don't want it, my Sprint Pre has a free and excellent nav on it that bluetooths thru my car stereo with turn by turn directions.
  7.    #7  
    ok... so I still dont have the response... if Im not wrong...

is there anybody who already has the TP and could confirm somehow if it has it or not?
    How do we check?
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    There was a review or two that said it uses google APIs to locate itself using surrounding WIFI networks. I use the same thing on my netbook and it's pretty freakin accurate.

According to more than one source, negative on the GPS.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts

is there anybody who already has the TP and could confirm somehow if it has it or not?
    Teardown has shown that the TouchPad has an Atheros wifi chip with integrated GPS function.
  11.    #11  
    I checked the specs on HP.com and it is stated it has it and also the gyroscope... so it should be there..... I should have checked the specs first before asking :-)

ok... now just how the get one in the czech republic :-)
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    But the specs page also have an interesting problem --- HP stated that it has a 6300 mah battery, but the teardown showed a 6000 mah battery.

I would assume that these people didn't teardown a borrowed preview/review unit. These teardown company buy a production unit from the stores to tear it apart.
    This is what HP lists for Sensors: Light sensor, accelerometer, compass (magnetometer), and gyroscope! A-GPS is only available with cellular model, not wifi.
    Supposedly wifi can triangulate on wifi locations for gps like location but don't know how good it is.
    Question is, how do you use the compass hardware with no compass app?
    that there is a good question!
    Interestingly there's a gps option in the WiFi TP diagnostics. If you run the test it reports that "the gps radio receiver detected the signal". Latitude, Longitude and time is reported. GPS is reported to be off and location services on. Sure seems odd to have this without a true gps receiver, particularly to quote gps time.
    Quote Originally Posted by splisskin View Post
    This is what HP lists for Sensors: Light sensor, accelerometer, compass (magnetometer), and gyroscope! A-GPS is only available with cellular model, not wifi.
    Supposedly wifi can triangulate on wifi locations for gps like location but don't know how good it is.
    Works pretty good for me. Accurate within about 100 feet I'd say.

I have a Wi-Fi Touchpad and can confirm that it does indeed have a GPS-like functionality, albeit not as accurate as my Garmin. Bing maps even will tell me what current address location it thinks I'm at. Touchpad thinks I'm hanging out at my next door neighbors house... ;-)
    Can someone explain to me a use case for a gps on a wifi-only device? The way I see it, when you're offline, there would be no point in pinpointing your location because there would be no way to download the Map. The When you're online, google location services works very well.

The 3g version needs to have a gps so that people can get maps and directions while driving.
    a use case would be when you have a software that uses local maps?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast