Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    Can someone explain to me a use case for a gps on a wifi-only device? The way I see it, when you're offline, there would be no point in pinpointing your location because there would be no way to download the Map. The When you're online, google location services works very well.

The 3g version needs to have a gps so that people can get maps and directions while driving.
    You have to remember, traditional nav doesn't use data signals. nDrive is a great example of traditional nav software. It wasn't until the advent of high end smartphones and large data plans that nav turned into something that needed a data signal. All nav products built for in car use either operate off some form of internal memory or a map dvd (or a combination of the two), same with nav for laptops.

Is the lack of GPS a deal breaker? Not for me, but it would be nice to have in certain situations. In general I can use the GPS on the Veer if I really need to. On devices with as much storage as the TP, I would like to see a move away from data based GPS maps allowing people to choose to store their map data on the device making it usable anywhere (I understand with the various storage size available on phones why maps in the cloud has become the standard).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    You have to remember, traditional nav doesn't use data signals. nDrive is a great example of traditional nav software. It wasn't until the advent of high end smartphones and large data plans that nav turned into something that needed a data signal. All nav products built for in car use either operate off some form of internal memory or a map dvd (or a combination of the two), same with nav for laptops.

Is the lack of GPS a deal breaker? Not for me, but it would be nice to have in certain situations. In general I can use the GPS on the Veer if I really need to. On devices with as much storage as the TP, I would like to see a move away from data based GPS maps allowing people to choose to store their map data on the device making it usable anywhere (I understand with the various storage size available on phones why maps in the cloud has become the standard).
    That makes sense, but like you mentioned, local storage could get used up quickly...
    Yeah I would just like to see more options on something with 32 gigs. When you have that much space I would say you can cut out a couple movies or few gigs of music if you really want signal free GPS.

Then again maybe this comes from me being heavily into mobile electronics and used to the idea that you don't always have a data signal and it is part of what you have to plan into your installation.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph3n View Post
    Pretty sure it has GPS as well...HP press releases say as much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph3n View Post
    it has GPS, A-GPS is on the SIM version. A-GPS uses cell towers triangulation+GPS for faster initial sync.

but then I see this:
    Nor does the TouchPad offer GPS, though thatís rumored to be coming.
    --> First Look review: the HP TouchPad, though uneven, shows promise

if they did the wifi only without GPS, wow that is stupid, all the competition has it, and it is very useful. I use mine as a navigator as the google navigation rocks. and the size is excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Teardown has shown that the TouchPad has an Atheros wifi chip with integrated GPS function.
    Quote Originally Posted by horseybob View Post
    I have a Wi-Fi Touchpad and can confirm that it does indeed have a GPS-like functionality, albeit not as accurate as my Garmin. Bing maps even will tell me what current address location it thinks I'm at. Touchpad thinks I'm hanging out at my next door neighbors house... ;-)
    Lots of confused people out there...

The Wifi-only TouchPad does *not* have a GPS. It *does* use "Google Location Services" which means that it uploads your IP address, the list of wifi SSID's that it can see, as well as their signals strengths to Google. Since Google's 'Street View' cars also collect Wifi data, they can give you a rough location estimate based on the Wifi signals near you.

If you're in the boonies where there are few Wifi points or where Google street view is not available, the TouchPad will not be able to tell where it's at. It does not have a GPS receiver. There was some confusion because one teardown did note that it used an Atheros chipset that *supports* GPS, but the actual GPS radio on the Wifi model is missing.

No HP press release has ever stated the Wifi-only TouchPad's have GPS. They do claim to have a digital compass but there aren't any apps that I know of (yet) that currently take advantage of it.

-Jeremy
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12