Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    So being in the music field, I was quite skeptical on the Touchpad and Beats...

but

Even with stock headphones like Palm or Apple, the sound is Awesome!!

I am very impressed.
    its actually pretty good. yes.
    Agreed. The beats audio speakers on the device ARE head and shoulders above the speakers on both the iPad and the GTab10. My DJ buddy (who uses an MBPro and iPad to do his sets) was impressed with the one he used.
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    But.. I love that most reviewers said...

"And the speakers are pretty good"

If it was on an ipad, they would have paragraphs on the "new technology" they invented to make the audio to be the best in the world....
    i have a REALLY nice pair of headphones that i will be trying with my touchpad when i get off work.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by splisskin View Post
    However, these guys LIKE the audio!
    The problem is that HP marketed this as a premium feature and then ended up with reviewers saying that they preferred xxx brand's tablet sound even though xxx didn't even advertise their sound quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Topolsky didn't like the speaker placement as it muffles the sound if you are using it in a different orientation.
    Thats my gripe with it. Video STILL only goes in one orientation, and it just so happens that its the orientation that will muffle it if you are sitting, or typing in portrait. Thats a big gripe for me so far.

Also, whats with not including headphones? I expected it to come with them so I left my Pre headphones at work. They couldn't throw some in for The $600 I paid for this thing? I am curious as to how it sounds though through headphones.
    I'd really like to see some Dev love for music apps. As far as I've been able to determine, there's no sound generator of any type on webOS 3.0 hardware - just mp3s.

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    I guess I don't see the "problem"? Sounds like these guys had a positive experience with the audio and I'm happy they like it as I do. I got the TP with the hope that the audio experience would be good and so far it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    I'd really like to see some Dev love for music apps. As far as I've been able to determine, there's no sound generator of any type on webOS 3.0 hardware - just mp3s.

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    This will play other formats. Not much in the way of sound *creation* right now but there's supposedly a big one coming from David Gueta.

https://developer.palm.com/appredire...k.audiophilehd
    HP never seems to properly tell that the best experienceis through headphones. There is no magic to make speakers that small significantly better than the other.

It's all in the headphones which I can attest to being great. I use a mid end grado ($200) set and its great compared to your standard apple product. I will say that my envy laptop is amped way more, but the touchpad is better than the average for sure.
    And don't forget, for the full Beats experience, the 3.5mm headphone port is undoubtedly better than the speakers
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    fxspec06 likes this.
    Heh! I won a pair of Beats Audio headphones last weekend. I can't wait to try them on the TouchPad tonight
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Quote Originally Posted by brdl04 View Post
    So being in the music field, I was quite skeptical on the Touchpad and Beats...

but

Even with stock headphones like Palm or Apple, the sound is Awesome!!

I am very impressed.

I agree, I tried my Pre headphones with the Demo unit in Best Buy, and I definitely noticed the difference in sound. If I get a TouchPad, I don't even think I'll get Beats headphones. The sound quality is great with just regular headphones.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by splisskin View Post
    I guess I don't see the "problem"? Sounds like these guys had a positive experience with the audio and I'm happy they like it as I do. I got the TP with the hope that the audio experience would be good and so far it is!
    If you read closely at the reviews, the praise was always very vague. The reviews often read like this: the TouchPad has premium Beats Audio and it sounds pretty great. And if there is any comparison at all (and that's rare) --- they often compare it to the ipad (which has mono speaker). It doesn't take a lot to beat ipad's mono speaker set-up.

But if the reviewers actually said more than that --- then they are often negative: speaker grill is sharp to touch (as universal as Playbook's power button complaint), orientation is wrong, volume is low...
    I told you guys!
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    ohhh, I gotta find my shure headphones!
    You have to be careful when comparing audio because there are so many parameters that can be played with. The ear is prone to being fooled. That's how MP3 compression works. It takes out a lot of the stuff the ear can't hear to make smaller files.

As for loudness, I wouldn't be surprised if the Samsung is using something called dynamic range compression to sound louder. It is the same technique that TV commercials use to sound louder. The peak volume is the same but the average level is higher. And to the ear, louder tends to sound better. A geek like Topolsky should know this.

Beats audio probably went for full dynamic range which will make the audio sound softer. But if you listen to good uncompressed music, full dynamic range has a very dramatic sound to it.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    The problem is that most average mp3 files are only slightly better than FM radio quality --- which any old ac97 codec can handle. The original music source is crippled beyond repair --- no amount of high priced headphone is going to change that.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    The Galaxy Tab has the same audio chip as the Playbook (with only 1W per channel in amplifier power) and the TouchPad has 2W per channel in amplifier power.
    You're not saying enough with just the wattage. Amplification is only part of the equation. You have to take into account speaker sensitivity as well. Engadget reports that the Tab is louder than the TouchPad. If the Tab indeed has lower amplification, than it makes up for it in speaker sensitivity. Obviously, the Tab's speakers are much more sensitive than the TouchPad's, but not necessarily better because of it.
    Last edited by RafRol; 07/01/2011 at 07:19 PM.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast