Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 55 of 55
Like Tree11Likes
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    I like the sound quality but the amp sucks. My moto xoom puts out twice the volume. I have to put the stereo at 50 on my touchpad to match The volume my girlfriend's xoom gets at 30.
    My amplifier goes up to 11.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  2. #42  
    Some time ago I became a fan of audiophile listening, always searching for the best sound quality. Finally I got some custom in ear monitors from Jerry Harvey Audio, incredible stuff but also incredible expensive for professional musicians or geeks like me. Finally I spend more than 400 fr my first JH5 Custom in ear monitors but Im happy with it every day.

    I have listened to several mp3 players (iPod, Sansa Fuze, Pre, Pre Plus, Vaio NB, ...) but none of these players are comparable to the quality of the HP Touchpads Beats sound. They sound very "full" with impressive lows and very smooth tremble (highs?) without any sharpness. The ground noise is very low up to non existant, especially compared to the disturbing ground noise of the Pre or Pre 2. The same songs from different players, eg. "Sky Blue" from "Peter Gabriel" shows the geniuity of the Beats Audio integration.

    Only one complain: The Touchpad is too big to carry it with me all the day for listening to the extraordinary quality of music. I cant wait to get the Pre 3 in my hands to get to know, if they sound as good as the Touchpad does.
    fxspec06 likes this.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdunnough View Post
    I agree that the loudness (or lack of) is a problem. The highest level is about 70% of where I wish it was. The fidelity does seem good, though I'm no audiophile.
    Yeah, the quality is good. As I said, my gf's XOOM is MUCH MUCH louder. And I just found out.... so is my Pre 2.

    The sound quality difference is something that not everyone will notice, however, loudness is something that people WILL notice. I honestly can't believe they couldn't put a louder amp on a tablet. My pre 2 (a phone with a 3.1" screen) has louder sound. I really don't get that. Because now all the iPhone and iPad users will tell me "see it sucks because look how soft the volume is on the tablet."

    I really like the TouchPad, but I do a lot of music stuff on my tablets. I was very excited to hear about Beats Audio... but the volume is just not there at all.
  4. #44  
    Also I want to add that it degrades the quality of the music because the volume is so low. How? Because I have to turn up my stereo to the point that I start to hear that white noise in order to get a decent volume on the TouchPad. Never had to do that with my Pre 2 or Moto XOOM. :-(
  5. #45  
    The speakers on the TP sound great, so I went out and bought a Beats Audio headset. No mic input on the TP with them. Started looking it up and sure enough all of the beats hedsets use the apple mic (with volume up/down and the multi function button) so none of them will provide mic input to the TP.

    If beats audio is so important to HP why dont they have a headset out yet for the veer or the TP? Will they have one before the Pre3 is released?
  6. air2liquid's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    #46  
    The other reason that the Touchpad sounds so good is the use of the Wolfson Microelectronics WM8958 audio hub. This chip has a hardware EQ and incredible sound quality. It's not the same chip that all the other tablet makers use (Xoom uses TI, Galaxy Tab 10.1 uses an older Wolfson chip WM8994), so it will sound different and better than other tablets. The combination of Beats tuning with Wolfson's audio chip makes for an impressive sound!

    Also, a properly encoded MP3 file (recent Lame MP3 encode at -V2 or above) will fool 95% of people on most equipment. MP3s get some kind of bad rap for being "crap" when it's not the technology, it's the lack of knowledge on how to encode properly.
  7. #47  
    This past 4th of July, I ran Pandora on my TP all afternoon while hanging out on my deck. The sound was great. I could hear the highs clearly and the lows flowed through the device with no distortion. (Stark contrast from listening to the same music through my Pre 2, where the highs were muffled.) Battery life was tremendous. After about 4 hours, the battery was only down about 20 %, even with periodic reading my emails and checking on a couple of websites. I'm quite please with the device. It does what I want and performs up to my expectations.
  8. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidiq View Post
    The other reason that the Touchpad sounds so good is the use of the Wolfson Microelectronics WM8958 audio hub. This chip has a hardware EQ and incredible sound quality. It's not the same chip that all the other tablet makers use (Xoom uses TI, Galaxy Tab 10.1 uses an older Wolfson chip WM8994), so it will sound different and better than other tablets. The combination of Beats tuning with Wolfson's audio chip makes for an impressive sound!

    Also, a properly encoded MP3 file (recent Lame MP3 encode at -V2 or above) will fool 95% of people on most equipment. MP3s get some kind of bad rap for being "crap" when it's not the technology, it's the lack of knowledge on how to encode properly.
    Actually they will sound basically the same between the two chips have the identical signal to noise ratios and the same total harmonic distortion. But the TouchPad will have higher amp power.
  9. #49  
    I tested Beats on my new TP against my Mac. I put the same music files on both (incidentally, HP Play worked great) and used the same earbuds. I picked music of various genres, to test the sound on vocals, instrumental, and rock.
    Dylan and his guitar sounded live, Beethoven's 9th exploded, and U2's "Zoo Station" literally gave me goosebumps.
    As I bragged about it to a friend, he reminded me that all Apple products come with equalizer set to "Flat". Oops... Mine was. So, in iTunes I reset the equalizer to "Rock", turned on "Sound Enhancer", and tried again. Mac was much better this time... Now it was harder to tell. Still, after more comparing back and forth, I feel that Beats is better. Clear and crisp, with full deep lows, it just feels more live.
    I don't have an iPad to compare to... The Mac has much more power, so the TP volume did seem weak. I wonder if iPad is more on par with TP in that area? And whether the equalizer adjustment in iTunes on the iPad makes it closer to the Beats sound.
    Still, its nice and simple with the TP to just plug and play and get great sound. I never liked having to adjust equalizers, and especially not for each song. My car stereo has about 10 eq profiles, and manual adjust... And I just picked one I liked the day I got it and haven't touched it since. I do love great sound, I just don't want to have to fiddle constantly to get it. TP seems to provide that.
  10. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #50  
    Tablet's audio chip is optimize for footprint (there are no need for companion resisters and capacitors) and battery life.

    A desktop audio chip is going to kill a tablet audio chip in terms of signal to noise ratios, THD, amplifier power...
  11. air2liquid's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Actually they will sound basically the same between the two chips have the identical signal to noise ratios and the same total harmonic distortion. But the TouchPad will have higher amp power.
    Not necessarily, as they might be using the hardware EQ on the headphone path for Beats tuning. They will sound similar, as they have the same basic DAC structure, but the 8958 allows for more customization on part of Beats.
  12. air2liquid's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Tablet's audio chip is optimize for footprint (there are no need for companion resisters and capacitors) and battery life.

    A desktop audio chip is going to kill a tablet audio chip in terms of signal to noise ratios, THD, amplifier power...
    I would have no problem comparing an HP, Dell, Apple, etc laptop to the chip that's in the TouchPad. Given the same volume (as amplifiers will be stronger in a laptop), I bet that the Wolfson chip would be very close or exceeding their performance.
  13. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidiq View Post
    Not necessarily, as they might be using the hardware EQ on the headphone path for Beats tuning. They will sound similar, as they have the same basic DAC structure, but the 8958 allows for more customization on part of Beats.
    The first thing I do when I buy a new tv or new stereo is to turn off every single "enhancements" --- turn picture from vivid back to standard, turn off SRS Surround, turn off steady sound... Quite a sizable portion of people can't stand SRS WOW/TruBass in the Windows Media Player and turn it off permanently. There is a SRS WOW setting for headphones.

    Quote Originally Posted by liquidiq View Post
    I would have no problem comparing an HP, Dell, Apple, etc laptop to the chip that's in the TouchPad. Given the same volume (as amplifiers will be stronger in a laptop), I bet that the Wolfson chip would be very close or exceeding their performance.
    There are laptops that are THX certified.

    You can put an actual music CD --- not crippled mp3 files --- in the DVD-RW drive and get uncompromised sound via spdif. There are plenty of laptops with blu-ray drives --- and the laptop needs a sound card that is powerful enough of decoding the enormous bit rate of the sound files in blu-ray movies.
    fxspec06 likes this.
  14. #54  
    thank you samab

    hit the nail on the head

    if you're going to compare, compare w/ "beats software" turned off and all enhancements turned off

    "beats" audio is still on, because like i said before, it's all about the hardware

    by all means if you want to distort your music go ahead and turn it on. you're just crippling what the artist wanted you to hear

    okay so great you turn on beatz and you can now hear that cowbell sound in your davidChappelle-skit-dontFearTheReaper.mp3

    well it's too bad that the artist didn't want you to hear that, or else he / she would have turned it up to begin with. -.-
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

  15. Mize's Avatar
    Posts
    929 Posts
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    #55  
    I find the sound/music quality good, but nowhere near loud enough...
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions