Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
Like Tree33Likes
    With WebOS going open source, will it be possible to add non-HP printers to the list of "approved" printers for the TP? Maybe all the problems we are all having with printing will be a thing of the past with a simple patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by antmelnat View Post
    With WebOS going open source, will it be possible to add non-HP printers to the list of "approved" printers for the TP? Maybe all the problems we are all having with printing will be a thing of the past with a simple patch.
    This depends on the manufacturer of the printer. They are responsible for driver development. If they develop the driver, it doesn't always assure that you have all of the features.

I have used Ubuntu for years on my desktop. There were drivers for my printers, however, I didn't always have all of the special F keys.
    **Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!**

As a top contributor to the HP Consumer Support Forums, HP provides me access to the Tochpad at no charge so I may better respond to the questions raised on the Forum.
    Thanks for the good ideas.
    Does anyone know if the Touchpad works with the HP LaserJet PRO P1102W wifi laser printer?
    Thx.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor View Post
    Does anyone know if the Touchpad works with the HP LaserJet PRO P1102W wifi laser printer?
    Thx.
    No, it doesn't. Only through hp's e-print service (emailing any document less than 5mb to a custom defined e-mail address). But with an iPad works, fancy that.
    So you can set the printer up with an email address, and then email documents to print? Better than nothing...plus it should work wirelessly with PCs.
    Shneor
    yes, from any pc, google cloud print service, iOS/Android, etc. This e-Print thing is the best if you have multiple devices using the same printer. just make sure you update printer to latest fw version (h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=4110396)
    I didn't read all the comments.. but just run the print server app if you have a windows PC it will let your touchpad print to any printer on your network.. super easy to setup. It's linked several times on the homebrew forum, I run it as a background service.. works great.
    So exactly how does the e-print work? You set up an email address for the printer (not sure how this is done, unless it's via HP). Then you can email attachments? or are documents the body of the email?
    Thx.
    Shneor
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblinh View Post
    I didn't read all the comments.. but just run the print server app if you have a windows PC it will let your touchpad print to any printer on your network.. super easy to setup. It's linked several times on the homebrew forum, I run it as a background service.. works great.
    But this means you need to have a PC on when you want to print from the touchpad. E-print sounds a lot better, I'm not worried about the 5mb limit per document.
    Shneor
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I guess the HP Tpad and/or the HP Inkjet use "self healing" s/w.

I turned on the printer and the Blue LED came on and went steady on, meaning it was connected to my WIFI. I turned on my Tpad, which prior to this, would not print.
    I selected a web page, hit "print" and it printed.

And it printed again.... And I didn't do a damn thing to make it come alive.
    So that part of the problem is solved.

Then while the ink was flowing,
    I ran the HP trouble shooting s/w on my PC that was loaded last time I tried, (and it did not work then ).

It went through a diagnostic, and then wanted to reinstall the Wireless connectivity on my PC.
    After that (which seems to stall out 3/4's of the way through but really, it doesn't) I could print to the Inkjet from my PC over the WIFI.

Now I have to get my RIM Playbook to print but that is a different help forum.

So all is good. My part of this thread is closed.
    jgb (Tpad)
    Palm Treo 680, HP Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor View Post
    So exactly how does the e-print work? You set up an email address for the printer (not sure how this is done, unless it's via HP). Then you can email attachments? or are documents the body of the email?
    Thx.
    Search for hp eprint page. Google is your friend.
    It will print both the e-mail body and any (pdf, doc, etc) attachments.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    ijip: i have an hp photosmart premium C309g series and when I try to print an error comes up "not supported" so I put ip address of the desktop because the printer is connected to it but how do I get the ip address of the printer? I have run the setup
    but I see no ip address listed...............
    I am lost.
    Just google the user manual for the printer and rtfm. I've gone ahead and ordered a new 1102W HP laser printer (inder $100 shipped) and plan to use it with e-print.
    Last edited by shneor; 01/08/2012 at 01:42 PM.
    Shneor
    Quote Originally Posted by antmelnat View Post
    I'm going to guess that HP will strip out the source and leave only an API, considering ePrint is one of their big technologies.
    I lucked out, had not thought about my TP not working with HP printers. In testing the TP with my HP Officejet 6500 Plus, worked great. TP offered me color/be and duplex option.
    I used the adobe app to print a couple of docs.

the TP notes app offers no option to print but the email option to my ePrint address worked.

side note, iphone finds this printer and printed a photo, but offered me no options so the picture was printed in full 8x11 page.

I scored the printer 2 weeks ago for 108.00 plus free shipping.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    It looks like printmgr has hardcoded strings such as "HP LaserJet <model>". The list of LaserJet printer models I've found are:
    1010, 1012, 1015, 1150, 1300, 1320, 2015, 2550, 2605, 2820, 2830, 2340, 3015, 3020, 3030, 3050, 3052, 3055, 3090, 3092, M1005, M1120, M1319, P1505, P2010, P2014, P2014n, CM1415fnw, CP1518ni, 100 colorMFP M175w

There are some other supported printer strings:
    OfficeJet Pro L7500, Officejet H470, Photosmart D5300 serires, Officejet 9100, hp business inkjet 2300, hp business inkjet 2600, hp business injet 3000.

The also look for printers with the strings CNCL, Laser, et C et c, Office, office, Photosmart.

I'm thinking of finding out what my Xerox announces itself as and then poking it over one of these strings. I'd be curious to see if that will allow me to use it to print.
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    It looks like printmgr has hardcoded strings such as "HP LaserJet <model>". The list of LaserJet printer models I've found are:
    1010, 1012, 1015, 1150, 1300, 1320, 2015, 2550, 2605, 2820, 2830, 2340, 3015, 3020, 3030, 3050, 3052, 3055, 3090, 3092, M1005, M1120, M1319, P1505, P2010, P2014, P2014n, CM1415fnw, CP1518ni, 100 colorMFP M175w

There are some other supported printer strings:
    OfficeJet Pro L7500, Officejet H470, Photosmart D5300 serires, Officejet 9100, hp business inkjet 2300, hp business inkjet 2600, hp business injet 3000.

The also look for printers with the strings CNCL, Laser, et C et c, Office, office, Photosmart.

I'm thinking of finding out what my Xerox announces itself as and then poking it over one of these strings. I'd be curious to see if that will allow me to use it to print.
    Does anyone know if "printmgr" is part of the 3.0.5 code that was just released? if so it should be trivial to remove these damn restrictions with a patch.

-Jeremy
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678