Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irwinr12 View Post
    I think that sounds like an awesome idea.
    It looks like this only gets us past the initial test, equivalent to setting filterPrinterList to false in the configuration file.

There are two tests that printmgrd seems to test: The product field and the ty field. In my Xerox case, the ty field is "Xerox Phaser 8400N" and the product field is "(Phaser 8400N)". I see strings in the binary like LASERJET and DESKJET, which may be one (or both) of these for a real HP printer but they are too short for substitution via poking. I've got some ideas on a way around this mess, but don't have the time or tools yet.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    I've hit the proverbial wall with this one. I've gotten the check_if_hp() routine in the printmgrd to say that my Xerox is an HP device. However, now it fails in wprintGetCapabilities() routine. I also see the schema errors that was reported by someone earlier. For the time being, I'm going to throw in the towel.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by mx2001 View Post
    I tried printing to my HP Laserjet 4015DN that the Touchpad auto-discovered on my network, but the only thing that came out of the printer were completely black pages. The document I was trying to print (an email) stayed in the TP print manager queue.

Update: 3.0.2 didn't help - still printing all black pages
    I have the same problem with the Laserjet 1606dn. Solid black pages. I have a ticket in with the webOS team to see about fixing this problem. I will let yu know what they come up with.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtm View Post
    I really wish webOS could work with printers shared thru a network computer.
    yea that would be pretty amazing.

i have an HP Photosmart C4400 series hooked up to my Airport Express since it doesnt have wireless printing built into the printer. It works great with all my Windows desktop and laptops and even better with my macbook. the touchpad does recognize the printer and it is showed as a choice when i chose to print but then it would give me an error??? not sure if there's a way around this or if it works for anyone else???
    What's really ridiculous and frustrating about this is that I can print to my printer perfectly using a third-party app "Image Worker" on webOS, and I can print to my printer using Ubuntu, but because HP is close-minded I can't print to it from the OS.
    +1 for non HP printer support, although I seriously doubt it will happen unless its possible via a homebrew app/patch...
    my printer is connected through another pc and shared. Is it possible to mask the true identity of the printer to make web OS happy?
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by psv75 View Post
    Hi! Did anyone print on the TouchPad yet? What do you think about the printing features, and how did it work for you?

Have tested briefly myself couple of days ago, but that was in a HP demo center so maybe not the best real-life test. But from what I tried and experienced there, it's pretty great.

Please note I work for HP in the printing division (in a non-launch contry); not related to Palm BU in any way, and just wondering abut what people think out of personal / semi-professional interest
    I happen to have an HP OJ 4680 wireless and All I had to do is look up the info on the router and type it in then boom it prints
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuzz View Post
    I have same issue with same printer.
    I do as well. Disappointing as our other printer is a Brother so we're not in the market for another.

At fellow 4050TN folk: are you all using the internal print server?

Does anyone know if using an external print server is possible or...?
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I have no clue how to set this up, I have an HP CP1215 printer and from what I can tell it should be perfectly compatible. I have the printer set up to be shared on my wireless network, and every sharing option is checked. Yet, it still isn't recognized by the TouchPad. What am I supposed to do?
    I just received my Touchpad, really like it. I have an old Laserjet 2100 with a Jetdirect card in it on my home network. When I tried to print to it, the Touchpad couldn't detect the printer. It is PCL 5 & 6 compatible. I manually set the IP address in the dialog and it still could not detect.

Is there a setting I can try to get this to work?

I appreciate any input

Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by hyth84 View Post
    *snip*
    but at the very least please add a print to pdf default printer.
    any news on this? is there a way to print to pdf? or any apps that can do this?
    I've looked at the developer docs and the print subsystem is hard coded for HP printers. Rather than using printer drivers (which would take up space and allow support for competitor's printers), it will only let you add printers that support IPP and PDL (pcl3gui or pcl5).

The subsystem will only print jpegs - either from a file or from a WebKit drawn image on a canvas. Once handed the image, it rasterizes it in strips 300 pixels high x paper width, then wraps each stripe with the corresponding PCL commands and sends it to the IP address corresponding to the printer.

So, even if you can somehow convince the subsystem that your printer is supported to let you add it, if your printer doesn't speak the right dialect of PCL, you're going to wind up with a confused printer. Best case, it will ignore your attempt to print. Worst case, you'll go through a ream of paper outputting gibberish characters.

Source code anyone?
    I have an HP printer and it prints photos Just fine for me, from my tp.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Is there an actual list of HP printers the TP will work with???
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    In HP's wisdom they made the the printing only work with HP printers

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctomahawk View Post
    I have the same problem with the Laserjet 1606dn. Solid black pages. I have a ticket in with the webOS team to see about fixing this problem. I will let yu know what they come up with.
    Any idea what's causing this? I get the same thing on my HP LaserJet 3390. It autodetects the printer fine, but prints out black pages.
    anyone tried printing from the ubuntu chroot ? sucks that other wifi (non hp) printers do not work

I'll wait for an android patch or dual boot
    Last edited by limitbreak; 09/06/2011 at 12:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by limitbreak View Post
    anyone tried printing from the ubuntu chroot ? sucks that non hp printer do not work
    I did see someone post they successfully printed with ubuntu chroot. There was a trick to getting cups to install without having gnome, so I never got it working myself. Instead, I just bought the cheapest HP multifunction with wireless: $48. Can't complain, considering the price of the TP and that I only print occasionally. Plus, now I can scan from any device on my network.
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    I've hit the proverbial wall with this one. I've gotten the check_if_hp() routine in the printmgrd to say that my Xerox is an HP device. However, now it fails in wprintGetCapabilities() routine. I also see the schema errors that was reported by someone earlier. For the time being, I'm going to throw in the towel.
    By editing the configuration file for printer, one can also cheat the printer manager to add the printer to the list. However, wprintGetCapabilities will be the next issue to solve. I think ipp also support capability query. Will have to debug it a bit. Did anybody try to do remote debugging on Touchpad before. I can dump the assembly code from IDA fine. But some of the reference are missing.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast