Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Is it really limited to HP printers or does a network connected PCL6 work?
    Here's what I see in /var/log/messages on the TP when I try to setup a Canon PIXMA MG6120 which has a built in WLAN print capability:

Code:
    2011-07-02T15:20:16.032891Z [7281] webos-device user.debug printmgrd: {printmgrd}: _printmgr_idle: methodCallQueue length 0
    2011-07-02T15:20:16.047488Z [7281] webos-device user.warning printmgrd: {printmgrd}: wprint (02) error: <0x2b9fb490> the printer doesn't appear to support anything we can print to
    2011-07-02T15:20:16.047951Z [7281] webos-device user.debug printmgrd: {printmgrd}: _printers_method_add: PDL wprintGetCapabilities returned false, name "", make "", took 24 seconds
    2011-07-02T15:20:16.048280Z [7281] webos-device user.crit printmgrd: {printmgrd}: _printers_method_add: generating RDX report for printer ID '(unknown)' with cause 'can ping printer but no support for PDL or IPP so not supported'
    2011-07-02T15:20:16.092078Z [7281] webos-device user.debug printmgrd: {printmgrd}: safe_system: exit code is 0
    2011-07-02T15:20:16.132175Z [7281] webos-device user.notice LunaSysMgr: {LunaSysMgrJS}: com.palm.app.printmanager: PrintQueue addPrinterFailure: {"returnValue":false,"errorCode":-238,"errorText":"user: printer is not supported (no pcl3gui or pcl5)"}, file:///usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.printmanager/source/PrintQueue.jsjsjs:$415$
    $2011$-$07$-$02T15$:$20$:$16$.$153185Z$ [$7281$] $webos$-$device$ $user$.$notice$ $LunaSysMgr$: {$LunaSysMgrJS$}: $com$.$palm$.$app$.$printmanager$: $addPrinter$ $FAIL$: $user$: $printer$ $is$ $not$ $supported$ ($no$ $pcl3gui$ $or$ $pcl5$), $file$:///$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$printmanager$/$source$/$PrintQueue$.$js$:$416$
    $2011$-$07$-$02T15$:$20$:$16$.$730748Z$ [$7281$] $webos$-$device$ $user$.$notice$ $rdxd$: $Creating$ $report$ $for$ $can$ $ping$ $printer$ $but$ $no$ $support$ $for$ $PDL$ $or$ $IPP$ $so$ $not$ $supported$ : $printmgr$ :
    I've been studying PrintQueue.jsjsjs $to$ $see$ $if$ $I$ $can$ $override$ $something$ $in$ $there$. $There$'$s$ $also$ $an$ $sqlite3$ $database$ $that$ $I$ $might$ $try$ $to$ $force$ $too$, $just$ $to$ $see$ $what$ $happens$. $I$ $haven$'$t$ $seen$ $anything$ $specifically$ $filtering$ $out$ $HP$ $printers$ $other$ $than$ $the$ $message$ $about$ &$quot$;$pcl3gui$ $or$ $pcl5$&$quot$;.

I also tried a LaserJet 6 hooked up to a network print server and that failed as well.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    And that is only newer HP Printers. My HP Laserjet 4 with Jetdirect TCPIP Network interface has served me for more years, using the same toner cartridge, and still kicking. Sadly, it does work reporting not supported device.
    That's interesting. Your printer supports PCL5e, so if the Touchpad would have just let you print, it would most likely work just fine. Wonder if there's any way to force the print to go through. Might be some missing SNMP stuff or similar that's giving it the "unsupported" status. Don't know, just guessing.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by mech1164 View Post
    A few months ago I picked up a new cp1025nw HP color laser. The unit itself is fine. It didn't have Eprint. This month it did get a firmware update and now it prints with airprint on the Ipad I have. I hope when I get the TouchPad I can print from it to.
    According to the TouchPad spec page on printing, it says all ePrint enabled printers should work, so it's very likely your firmware-updated CP1025nw will work just fine with the built-in printing support. And of course you can also use the ePrint app when that arrives for webOS.
    ive got an HP Photosmart C4280 All In One hooked up to my windows PC and it is setup as a shared printer...but my tPad wont find it. Trying everything but no luck. Has anyone setup ther tPad to work with a printer with this kind of setup?
    printed email to my wireless 8500 AIO printer :-)
    I tried printing to my HP Laserjet 4015DN that the Touchpad auto-discovered on my network, but the only thing that came out of the printer were completely black pages. The document I was trying to print (an email) stayed in the TP print manager queue.

Update: 3.0.2 didn't help - still printing all black pages
    Last edited by mx2001; 08/03/2011 at 11:36 PM. Reason: update
    enice2 likes this.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Seconding supamanasteel's post. Ive got a shared HP printer connected to my Mac via USB that I can print to from other computers on the network. Tried putting in the Macs IP address but I got an 'unsupported' message. Does this mean it actually found it and determined it unsuitable? Or is this setup just not supported in general regardless of the printer model? I'd be satisfied with the former since I'm just trying to spin straw into gold here anyway.
    Anybody get this to work?

I keep getting "This printer is not supported" which is ironic considering my printer is the legendary workhorse HP LaserJet 4050TN.

Hmmm, I wonder who makes that printer?!?
    mind worked perfectly
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by derwin View Post
    Seconding supamanasteel's post. Ive got a shared HP printer connected to my Mac via USB that I can print to from other computers on the network. Tried putting in the Macs IP address but I got an 'unsupported' message. Does this mean it actually found it and determined it unsuitable? Or is this setup just not supported in general regardless of the printer model?
    From what I've seen or read, I think the printing feature in the TouchPad is only meant for direct printing to a networked HP device. So a shared print queue from a computer (printer driver, credentials, different protocols) will most likely not work.

In general I would assume the printers needs to be networked by cable or wifi, and include a PDL (page description language) like PCL5 or PCL3 to be supported by the TouchPad "print driver". A list of supported devices would be nice, though.
    Works great with my 1536dnf MFP laser multi-function. The TouchPad already seems to know its b/w only, and prints accordingly. Nice!
    <<threads merged>>
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/03/2011 at 04:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    According to the HP website:

The webOS print solution will support all network-capable HP printers that support PCL page description language in the local LAN. These printers include new HP ePrint-capable printers—Photosmart, Officejet, and LaserJet—as well as legacy printers approximately 5 years old or newer. ePrint requires an Internet connection to the printer.
    Hmm, well, the 4050TN is HP/PCL5 capable so, doesn't that work?

It's working on the net - IP address 192.168.1.14. Name: Cornholio (yep, my kids named it).
    Last edited by PF Graham; 07/03/2011 at 04:48 PM. Reason: typo
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PF Graham View Post
    Hmm, well, the 4050TN is HP/PCL5 capable so, doesn't that work?

It's working on the net - IP address 192.168.1.14. Name: Cornholio (yep, my kids named it).
    I think technically all printers can be construed as network-capable if you can share them through a computer on a network. However since this specific feature is turning out to mean "printers with an actual Ethernet port on the back" I'll just have to wait till I get a different model.
    I think this is a good thing to call the 90 day free butler about
    all automatic. very slick
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    I'd like to see a Print Menu option in every application that supports text. This includes the Maps application - when I get directions with the Bing Maps app, I'd like to be able to print them out. I'd also like to print from the Memos app, TapNote, etc... as well.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LA6507 View Post
    I'd like to see a Print Menu option in every application that supports text. This includes the Maps application - when I get directions with the Bing Maps app, I'd like to be able to print them out. I'd also like to print from the Memos app, TapNote, etc... as well.
    id say that the most hardcore ghetto way to print some things would be to grab a screenshot (center button + screen button) and print that from the photos app
    Quote Originally Posted by LA6507 View Post
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    No dice w/ my Canon MX700.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast