Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tnguy88 View Post
    Have anyone tested this with the Pre3? maybe someone can make a patch made from pre3 if it works.
    SMS and Voice on TouchPad paired with Pre 3 work as designed with these two devices paired right out of their boxes.

The Veer is supposed to get an update to allow SMS to function.

The Pre 2 was also going to get that update eventually, but that may have changed .

There is an answer posted earlier in this thread by Heartbeatz to your inquiries about the failure of SMS text to work even when a legacy webOS device is paired with the TouchPad:

Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    There is a profile that is required in order for messaging to work it's called MAP (messaging access profile)
    Bluetooth profile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Older units do not have this profile on the devices.
    As of tonight P|C member "Sickness273" has successfully paired an LG Rumor Touch to his Touchpad for SMS and Voice calling (Yes both work) using Freetether installed on his Touchpad .

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ing-video.html

I suspect any newer phone with a MAP (Messaging Access Profile) incorporated into its bluetooth stack may be able to pair with the Touchpad for both SMS and Voice without having to use the freetether workaround. Legacy webOS devices (Pre - Pixi, Pre +) will probably need to use the workaround for SMS texting to work.

TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    So basically this a bluetooth profile missing on WebOS 1.4.5 legacy devices. I have a Sprint Pixi myself that I still love to use and had been using freetether to connect my laptop to the cell network whenever wifi is not available using my trusty little pixi :-). I am not a developer but I presume that what freetether basically does is add the Bluetooth PAN profile to the bluetooth stack? We should be able to add MAP in a similar fashion in the most likely scenario that legacy devices will never see an OTA update right? Perhaps we could contact the developer of freetether and start a project/donation page thing to get the devs working on this cool feature. I like working on my new TP with my phone inside my purse, it makes me feel so cool heh
    i have tried the BT tethering using freetether on my TP and pre plus on 2.1 and i cannot get it to work!
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    is it possible to copy the MAP from the pre3 and patch it to the pre2?
    Too bad. I can't imagine using my TP to make calls, but it would be great for texting periodically.

Still rocking the Pre minus...but that Sprint GS 2 is calling.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    There is a Google Voice 'GV Text' app($3) for the Touchpad that you can use for texting, actually works rather well. Once you have a Google Voice account you can use your sprint number in place of the number that you choose.

Only problem is that it only updates the texts on it's own every 5 mins., if it updated as the texts came in or every 30 sec. or so that would be much better. It does have a refresh button at the top and will refresh every time you text out.

Not perfect but better then nothing. Now I can text and receive calls on the Touchpad
    Does this 'GV Text' app actually bring the texts into the messaging app? If so that sounds a bit worthwhile to me! (Texting using voogle was.. awkward at best.. still hoping he open sources it or else somebody else just takes up the mantle.)

More importantly..

Is anyone working on getting SMS forwarding going from the Pre2/Veer to the TouchPad, since it sounds like the Pre3 supports it?
    palm lineage: VzPre+ to Pre2 to Pre3, now using a AT&T Pre3 on wifi and Panda Touchpad.
    DU unlock codes available (Veers, Pres, etc, Oh my!)
    Has Pre3s & tpFauxG for sale!
    (Sales prices always less than ebay)
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    The texts appear in just the 'GV Text' app and also on your phone if you want to have it there also (you need to see how it is set up in GoogleVoice account), the draw back for that is it will only show the received text not the out going, since the out going is in the GV app.
    turn off beats audio.. helps with the echo a lot.
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelessa View Post
    There is a Google Voice 'GV Text' app($3) for the Touchpad that you can use for texting, actually works rather well. Once you have a Google Voice account you can use your sprint number in place of the number that you choose.

Only problem is that it only updates the texts on it's own every 5 mins., if it updated as the texts came in or every 30 sec. or so that would be much better. It does have a refresh button at the top and will refresh every time you text out.

Not perfect but better then nothing. Now I can text and receive calls on the Touchpad
    You actually can't use your Sprint number with it, all the texts come from your GV number, and if anyone texts your carrier's number, you don't get it. It only comes to the TP if they text your GV number. You CAN port your sprint number to GV, but then it cancles your sprint contract, and you need a new cell phone plan and number. Also with a 5 min refresh this app is practically worthless.

I have texting working with Android phones pretty well. It's at least usable. No advice for the rest of you though.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...e-working.html
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post
    You actually can't use your Sprint number with it, all the texts come from your GV number, and if anyone texts your carrier's number, you don't get it. It only comes to the TP if they text your GV number. You CAN port your sprint number to GV, but then it cancles your sprint contract, and you need a new cell phone plan and number. Also with a 5 min refresh this app is practically worthless.

I have texting working with Android phones pretty well. It's at least usable. No advice for the rest of you though.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...e-working.html
    yes you can use your sprint phone number and it looks like it is coming from you phone, google gives you the option to use your sprint number or use the number that you pick. I had it set up using my sprint number. Was texting hubby and he was confused when I told him it was from the touchpad.

the 5 min refresh is to long and you need to use the refresh button. This is something that they need to change to make it much more useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelessa View Post
    yes you can use your sprint phone number and it looks like it is coming from you phone, google gives you the option to use your sprint number or use the number that you pick. I had it set up using my sprint number. Was texting hubby and he was confused when I told him it was from the touchpad.

the 5 min refresh is to long and you need to use the refresh button. This is something that they need to change to make it much more useful.
    Stop spreading mis-information. He was confused because it came from your google voice number. There is no way to get gv text to come from your Sprint number without porting it. Please prove otherwise.
    fergus69 likes this.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Ok how do you mean 'port'?
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Ok I see what you are saying. I did not mean to confuse anyone.
    No problem! I thought it came from my carrier number as well when I first tried it. Its a good app, it just has too long of a refresh, and forcing me to use my GV number just wasn't cutting it for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by tnguy88 View Post
    is it possible to copy the MAP from the pre3 and patch it to the pre2?
    been trying this...

found Pmbtstack in \usr\bin\, but transferring it breaks the BT app (i think thats the file that caused it)

A bit more tinkering is definitely in order
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    been trying this...

found Pmbtstack in \usr\bin\, but transferring it breaks the BT app (i think thats the file that caused it)

Thank You Brennan7, I really hope you can get it working.
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    been trying this...

i tried to copy/use all sorts of different files, bins, libraries, apps (messaging, bluetooth) to no avail. I didn't succeed, but maybe a more systemic approach would have better results..

other thoughts..
    I saw that someone put a patch in preware to allow binary bluetooth communication. I wonder if that's related, and if not, how hard it'd be for a skilled person to patch the messaging into the BT stack.
    the other approach would be to port a fully functional BT stack to the pre. I unfortunately have not the skills for any of this, so hoping someone with the skillage might attack this:-)
    palm lineage: VzPre+ to Pre2 to Pre3, now using a AT&T Pre3 on wifi and Panda Touchpad.
    DU unlock codes available (Veers, Pres, etc, Oh my!)
    Has Pre3s & tpFauxG for sale!
    (Sales prices always less than ebay)
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Any news on this?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast