Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    So my new Touchpad asks me to connect to a wifi network at the beginning of setup, I connect to one, and after a few seconds it says it has lost the wi-fi connection and brings the network chooser back up.

I've tried two different wi-fi networks so far, and the same thing happens on both -- stays connected for a few seconds then "Your device no longer has a wi-fi connection. Connect to a new network."

I can't cancel out of set up -- it says a network connection is required to complete setup. So I'm dead in the water.

I have a sinking feeling I have defective hardware. Anyone else seeing this?
    Have you tried restarting the device?

Press and hold the following keys (power, volume up, center) for about 5 seconds then the device should reboot.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Goto starbucks or mcdonald try their free wifi, if problem persist, go back get a replacement.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenf View Post
    So my new Touchpad asks me to connect to a wifi network at the beginning of setup, I connect to one, and after a few seconds it says it has lost the wi-fi connection and brings the network chooser back up.

I've tried two different wi-fi networks so far, and the same thing happens on both -- stays connected for a few seconds then "Your device no longer has a wi-fi connection. Connect to a new network."

I can't cancel out of set up -- it says a network connection is required to complete setup. So I'm dead in the water.

I have a sinking feeling I have defective hardware. Anyone else seeing this?
    You don't have defective hardware (if you haven't gotten it working yet). I got one yesterday (I know, early, Best Buy sold it to me a day early) and I had the same problem for a few minutes. I was using the mobile hotspot app on my Sprint Pre- and that didn't work, then I switch over to "freetether" (I was doing all of this in the parking lot of BB) and that seemed to work. It worked when I had it on a "secure" network that required a password. Did you try that yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Goto starbucks or mcdonald try their free wifi, if problem persist, go back get a replacement.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Unfortunately most starbucks and mcdonals use what is called a Captive portal. This is not supported during first use setup.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Hi HardBeatz,

I powered down by pressing and holding the power button and choosing the shut down option. Same thing's happening after booting backup.

I can join a network. It lasts until I get to about the webOS Account Sign In screen, and then it says I've lost my wifi connection and goes back to searching for networks (which takes a realllly long time).

At lunch, I'll go to another physical location and try one or two more wifi networks and report back. But I'm 2 for 2 so far.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Our work network is a plain-old password-protected WPA2 network. We have _many_ other wifi devices connected to it right now without issue. I also tried putting an iPhone into mobile hotspot mode and connecting to that. Exact same problem.

I can think of a few restaurants nearby that have wifi networks, but they're all captive portals. :/
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    OK I made it through setup by VERY QUICKLY typing my Palm Profile password before the "select a new network" dialog could pop back up, then reconnecting to wifi every time it asked during the subsequent steps (about 3 times, requiring network password re-entry each time). Got to "Setup Complete" and it's restarting now. Let's see how wifi holds up now that setup is out of the way.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I made it to the launcher and had to reconnect to the wifi network 2 or 3 more times but now it seems to be staying connected. Very, very confusing.
    That happened to me too, I just kept hitting it and after some time it worked.
    Same problem here. After trying over and over for about 20 minutes, it finally worked.
    perhaps the problem is that your router's firmware needs to be updated?
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Unfortunately most starbucks and mcdonals use what is called a Captive portal. This is not supported during first use setup.
    Just if anyone thinks this is odd, Nook Color is the same. Couldn't WiFi activate on my parents network until I changed some settings on their network.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Nope, firmware's up to date, and haven't had a problem getting any other wifi device onto the network.

I'm relieved that it seems to be staying connected now that setup's done.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    I was stumped by my MAC filter on my access point. I ended up having to disable the MAC filter to allow the the touchpad setup to complete. I couldn't get the physical address of my touchpad before completing the setup...
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    It had no problem connecting to the network, it would just drop off after about 5-10 seconds and ask me to pick a network again.

Since completing setup, the problem hasn't come back.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I am having MEGA difficulty connecting. I finally got wifi connection with free tether and was able to download my Palm Profile apps, etc. Then I was able to connect to my home wifi (Verizon router) but there is NO connection to the internet. Not sure what is wrong or how to proceed. NEED to be able to connect to the internet, obviously. The router is Actiontec.
    Thanks if ANYONE can help! Wanna play with my new toy!
    Patrice
    Virginia
    Works like nothing else!
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    pmalena, make sure that you're getting an IP address from your Actiontec router. To do that go to launcher, settings, wifi, tap the SSID of your wireless network.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    pmalena, make sure that you're getting an IP address from your Actiontec router. To do that go to launcher, settings, wifi, tap the SSID of your wireless network.
    Finally figured it out. Working great! Gotta get back to explore! Thanks.
    My hp touchpad will not let me get pass the start up. It keep saying the network contains a captive portal which requires additional authenication....what do I do!!!