Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    I found this annoying when I first had my TouchPad, but now, until this thread, I'd forgotten all about it.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Wow, well it's not something I had noticed but after reading this thread I went and tried it out. The device seems to be doing what I ask of it to be honest. I am quite capable of swiping a straight line, I could see how the 'Locking' of motion could help those with mobility problems though. Should possibly be an option, then they'd have to make it webOS wide though.
    when I want to cut and paste, I've been opening up chromium in ubuntu, which is like a desktop browser, no moving from side to side. Details on how to install are in the I want ubuntu thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by southbaypalm View Post
    Actually, this is a big issue and a problem that extends beyond the page moving side to side.

Overall the browser is crap and has me quite annoyed as I thought this was going to be a strength of this tablet.

Because the browser moves side to side, advanced HTML5 features like swiping of individual content elements within the browser will not work, the entire page will move.

I build advanced advertising for ad networks like Google mobile ads and major brands. If items like "swipe to go to next" , "swipe to reveal", "360 degree animations", etc., etc... won't work on the TP and other future WebOS devices, this is a HUGE problem.
    I have tested about 10 our our sites and also tested all of Google mobile ads interactive ad units and NONE of them work with this browser.

Why is this a huge problem? Because the ad networks will not be able to target any WebOS devices. This will mean the brands that are buying these ads will consider the WebOS devices as inferior. This means they will not build apps for WebOS.
    And a large portion of the apps on iOS and Android are built buy or sponsored by brands.

The browser right now is a huge FAIL.
    your assuming that locking the browser horizontally would instantly allow users to manipulate such add content? I'm willing to bet the two issues are totally unrelated. If the touchpad browser was capable of recognizing framed content individually, then when making such gestures, they would scroll instead of the entire webpage. This issue you bring up is probably more serious than the OP'S, but unrelated none the less.
    hi, when loading sites like Engadget there is excessive side to side rubber banding in the browser. Does anyone know how to turn this off so pages scroll better?
    Maybe it's a suggestion for a patch
    could you post a video of it to show how this is bothering you?
  8.    #48  
    I have been checking back to the forums every few days hoping HP had fixed this. It seams most on here will tell you to suck it up.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...eft-right.html
    It bothers me a lot. If you try loading youtube, grooveshark, or the facebook chat popout and try scrolling the built in lists or try to tap the small text links it can get annoying.
    It's a stupid design decision.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I can get in some way why they would do this, but when you are fully zoomed-out, don't move the browser window to the left or right, HP! If I'm zoomed-out, there's nothing to the left or right to scroll to, so dragging my finger across the screen should trigger dragging events on the page elements.

There has to be some way to patch this up.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    I hated this on the pre too. It was updated this way around 1.3 I think.

You will get used to it maybe but I would return if you think it will be changed.
    Yes, I believe you are correct that this "feature" got introduced in 1.3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    I agree that it isn't a deal breaker, but this is a pretty annoying behavior. It isn't only a few pixels, as if it's seeing a "limit". You can actually drag the whole browse page nearly off the screen. And it isn't just the browser, as some have mentioned. Also, it does NOT always center back perfectly... especially when you have double tapped to "optimize" the size of text.
    I read somewhere that it is due to Apple holding patents for a lot of the multi-touch behaviours, and it is true, no one multi touches like iProducts. But I'm sure that this can be improved without infringing... especially since others have done so.
    This won't make me take it back... There is already a list of other reasons... but I'm going to at least wait till my 14 days from BB are up, hoping that after two weeks past launch, there will be some sort of update, or at least an announcement. I can live with little bugs and annoying behaviors for a year or two... I have the Pre, and the Veer, after all... But I will NOT go another year without ability to edit documents on my mobile devices, or to run a program from a remote desktop app... or even have a great ePub reader... These features are now too common, and too well done elsewhere for a consumer to be expected to just be patient when he's spent the same amount of money.
    Yes, it has something to do with IP. However, I think HP should go ahead and implement whatever they need without consideration of infringement since Palm also possess several IP that everyone is infringing on - they were a smartphone leader after all.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    twofiftyeight likes this.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    yes I agree with you guys the side to side scrolling is annoying and really doesn't fit any purpose. It is especially annoying when you are on YouTube you have to go into full screen to scroll forward any video you are watching.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    Yes, it has something to do with IP. However, I think HP should go ahead and implement whatever they need without consideration of infringement since Palm also possess several IP that everyone is infringing on - they were a smartphone leader after all.
    My vague recollection is that Palm signed patent agreements with both Apple and Microsoft some years ago. When HP purchased Palm, those agreements would have come along.

If HP is forcing this stupid browser behavior on us, I very much doubt it's because of Apple, Microsoft, or any entity that actually makes mobile devices. HP owns far too many mobile workspace patents to be worried about retaliation.

If this inane window behavior is because of IP fears, it's probably because of the patent trolls.

That said, this really makes it terribly difficult to use many Flash games, and will probably make it next to impossible to use many graphical HTML 5 apps.

A patch to disable this behavior would be fantastic!
    Last edited by Toasters; 09/09/2011 at 02:51 AM.
    I think Google's figured out how to get around it -- have a look at the Tablet interface for Gmail. Yeah, it acts really weird when compared to any other tablet interface, but it also keeps the browser in position on screen, no matter what you try to do with it.

My guess is, that many implementations of these supposedly swipable html5 things are done incorrectly, and just happen to work in our desktop browsers..

That said, though, I do -hate- the sideways rubberbanding. I'm sure someone thought "hey, wow that looks kinda neat!", and it got left in, but it really does bring a rather jarring user experience.

After a while, you adjust to it, though.
    I'm seriously hoping for a new browser from someone, opera, chrome firefox, anybody cause this one surely sucks big time!
    for general scrolling on a page if I scroll like half way on the bezel and half on the screen it doesn't bounce side to side at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by southbaypalm View Post
    Actually, this is a big issue and a problem that extends beyond the page moving side to side.

Overall the browser is crap and has me quite annoyed as I thought this was going to be a strength of this tablet.

Because the browser moves side to side, advanced HTML5 features like swiping of individual content elements within the browser will not work, the entire page will move.

I build advanced advertising for ad networks like Google mobile ads and major brands. If items like "swipe to go to next" , "swipe to reveal", "360 degree animations", etc., etc... won't work on the TP and other future WebOS devices, this is a HUGE problem.
    I have tested about 10 our our sites and also tested all of Google mobile ads interactive ad units and NONE of them work with this browser.

Why is this a huge problem? Because the ad networks will not be able to target any WebOS devices. This will mean the brands that are buying these ads will consider the WebOS devices as inferior. This means they will not build apps for WebOS.
    And a large portion of the apps on iOS and Android are built buy or sponsored by brands.

The browser right now is a huge FAIL.
    ummm....dude? I haven't seen an ad on any web page in a couple of years on any of my devices. I block 'em all. If my browser doesn't display your ads or anyone else's, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. Heck, I'd call that a feature! ;-) Ads with animations, "swipe to reveal" etc. cause web sites to crawl and are the biggest reason for user frustration when trying to view a website. They cause site loads to grind to a crawl.
    Quote Originally Posted by usaaztek View Post
    that's sad. I waited all this time for the touchpad and a stupid glitch is going to make me return it. I can not get used to the screen shaking when I scroll....none of the other tablets do this.
    lol go ahead, maybe a less picky user will buy it refurbed and give it te love it deserves
    Waaaaaaahhhhh
    This whole thread: r/firstworldproblems.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast