Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    I was at bestbuy today in Miami and i saw the veer. But the little panda phone wasn't even plugged in and you couldn't play with its awesomeness. Sad!!! So I did what any loyal WebOS fan would do... I plugged it in!!!! Then went to the Touchpad area and they had HP people there helping customers and really pushing the multitasking! Really nice to see. :-)
    Je fais ce que je veux avec mes cheveux!!! Sprint: Pre+ 2.1
    Went to BB by Fordham Rd in the Bronx. Worse Touchpad display ever. Impossible to reach (lots and lots of Compaq PC boxes all around it). The thing was DEAD. No signs could tell me what was the brand of the tablet even dead. the front was pitch black and the back where the HP logo is was covered by the security attachment. If it was not by looking on the web for its shape before coming at this BB, I could never guess what kind of a tablet it was. The Samsung 10.1 dude told me HP forgot to send them all the needed tools/accessories (he was very pumped to play with one too and compare it with his tablet). They put it next to a DEAD Xoom! (horror).
    But that BB was not so bad regarding the other models. Actually I have never seen so many tablets at once demoed. As soon as you reach that section (before the Apple section) you can play with the Samsung 10.1. My mom, 74+, whose never played on a video game in her life was gone for more than 30 min playing angry birds on the 10.1 tab. she has to save all the birds she told me (Rio)
    I tested the 10.1, the HTC flyer, could not test the Acer iconia (locked out), the wuawei S7 Silm was Off, the playbook was in a car game mode. On our way out we tried the iPad for a couple of more min.

I came only to try the touchpad and ended up talking about what it could have been if it was working with the samsung guy....
  3. macdavepro
    I stopped by a Best Buy in Seattle just to see if they had received any accessories, which they hadn't. I was pleased to see an HP rep by the display, but it quickly turned sour. He didn't have much to say because he was preoccupied with his own TouchPad, but then he went on to say how badly it NEEDED the bluetooth keyboard. I said I was comfortable with a virtual keyboard since I use iPads for work, but he kept pushing the matter. Perhaps they should work on positives rather than their personal gripes.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I was at my local BestBuy yesterday (Burlington, MA) looking to see if they had any accessories for the TouchPad. While they did have a demo unit on display isolated for all other laptops, tablets and electronics -- a BestBuy employee saw me looking at the TouchPad. Asked me if I needed help. So I asked if he had any TouchPads or accessories in stock. He goes to me (and I **** you not):

BB: "Why would you want a TouchPad? That Operating System of theirs is so hard to use. From what I've seen while trying to play with it, it's slow an bulky. I couldn't even get any Flash videos to work. Wouldn't you want a Xoom or a Galaxy instead? They are lighter and have batter Flash performance."

No thanks. More interested in the TouchPad and it's cleaner interface.

BB: "Well, sorry to disappoint, but I don't believe we have them in stock. I would have to go check the back."

Oh. Sorry wouldn't want you to do that.

And I walked away. Before I left, I looked at the Nook, where I set the alarm off when I touched it... The same guy comes over, with a nasty look on his face to turn the alarm off.
    ok.. This is my target experience. I asked an employee at target if they will carry HP touchpad?

he replied 'what is that? Is that like a ipad or something?'

I said yeah.

he continues to blah about 'oh, we only sell ipads here'

they don't have touchpad but they do have Motorola room and the asus one.
    Pls post this in Official rate your Best Buy thread
    Quote Originally Posted by IICODECll View Post
    I was at my local BestBuy yesterday (Burlington, MA) looking to see if they had any accessories for the TouchPad. While they did have a demo unit on display isolated for all other laptops, tablets and electronics -- a BestBuy employee saw me looking at the TouchPad. Asked me if I needed help. So I asked if he had any TouchPads or accessories in stock. He goes to me (and I **** you not):

BB: "Why would you want a TouchPad? That Operating System of theirs is so hard to use. From what I've seen while trying to play with it, it's slow an bulky. I couldn't even get any Flash videos to work. Wouldn't you want a Xoom or a Galaxy instead? They are lighter and have batter Flash performance."

No thanks. More interested in the TouchPad and it's cleaner interface.

BB: "Well, sorry to disappoint, but I don't believe we have them in stock. I would have to go check the back."

Oh. Sorry wouldn't want you to do that.

And I walked away. Before I left, I looked at the Nook, where I set the alarm off when I touched it... The same guy comes over, with a nasty look on his face to turn the alarm off.
    Quote Originally Posted by orizzle View Post
    I was at bestbuy today in Miami and i saw the veer. But the little panda phone wasn't even plugged in and you couldn't play with its awesomeness. Sad!!! So I did what any loyal WebOS fan would do... I plugged it in!!!! Then went to the Touchpad area and they had HP people there helping customers and really pushing the multitasking! Really nice to see. :-)
    funny same thing with me at Bestbuy in plantation, florida. The rep there was selling the touchpad better then I have ever seen. he said he was at the seminar and had one himself. He knew everything about the device, even the devo unlock code and hombrew. At the 10 minute mark we had over 12 people there in aww about the device, and wanted to purchase one (it was yesterday) and the rep said they cant sell em until today. He even said that he recommends it over the ipad 2 (which he had also but sold once the touchpad came out) and any other android tablet on the market. My experiance with it was really really good. Very fast no main lags at all that I saw, and the rep told me the quickoffice update should come with the over the air one that is going to fix the little bugs that it has very soon. Overall I am convicened in getting so much, I found one on ebay for 440 so ill be ordering that and selling my HP laptop.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    I stopped on launch day. There was a HP rep (temp?) there with his device. He seemed pretty knowledgeable, for someone who was just becoming enthused by the device. Still, he was enthused, which is great.

During our conversation, I asked if he knew whether the Pre3 was coming to Sprint (obligatory). He said that, in his training class, the instructor said, "The Pre3 will launch on all major networks," which made me pretty happy. Then he quoted me the TP price at $399 and $499, which had me suspicious. I pushed him with a couple "are you sure" type questions, and he said he was positive, so I told him to show my the price tag and I'd take one. Well... there weren't any on the self; they were in back, but he went to the front to do a price check. When he came back, he said, "You were right." Doh! Now I'm not sure I can believe him about the Pre3, either.

Overall, I thought it was slightly heavy, but not bad. It felt like a solid, durable device. The UI was nice, with no lag and just as intuitive as the phone (except I missed the advanced gestures). I think I just need any one or two of the major features (QO editing, Kindle, Netflix, Remember the Milk) to show up, and I'm in. I can't justify it without knowing that at least one of the productive apps is there, though.
    I stopped this morning at BB, saw the Veer display front and center with a working unit. Checked it out and had 2 BB employees give good feedback on it. They liked it overall, really raved about the mag charger connection. Appropriately pointed out web browsing was an exercise in zooming and pinching due to the screen size. But then I went looking for the Touchpad. Found end caps for Samsung and iPad2 but no display or table for HP. Finally my wife found it with the laptops next to an ASUS. TouchPad was on and working well, employee came over and offered me information on the brand new HP "Slate" and that it was pretty cool. It was clear he was familiar to some degree with the device, other than knowings it's actual name. I guess he went through some sort of training. In the end he didn't try to push me to the iPad2 but it was clear it was a better tablet in his opinion, and I agree he is right. I'm a WebOS fan but all the issues I read about I saw in my time with the demo unit. The iPad2 was responsive and felt smoother in every aspect than the Touchpad.

But specifically back to the BB experience, the employee said they were going to be redoing all the tablet displays so they would be all in one place soon and have better signage.

As I was leaving the employee at the front door had a tablet on the front "greeter" island that he was playing with and I stopped to see which one it was. I saw it was a little "thicker" and figured (correctly) that it was the touchpad. The emplyee saw us looking at it and said "This is the new Touchpad do you want to look at it? Its great!". He gave a quick show and tell demonstrating the multitasking and said he was pleased with the build quality and the gorilla glass indicating he had dropped it once with no ill effect. Then to my wife's horror he got out his keys and began demonstrating the gorilla glass "See, no scratches!". He was clearly a fan of the device and I was pleased to hear someone excited about it there at the store.

I am personally still undecided if I want to put my cash down on the device but it is more a question of now or later. Although the video out (lack thereof) is really the only sticking point for me at this point.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Nice. I stopped by the Best Buy Metro North on the way home from church this morning to see if they had them on display. They had the nice display that's been shown here, with two Touchpads on it. My son and I played with them for about 30 minutes and talked to one of the BB reps. Paired it with my phone and made/received a few phone calls on it - the volume seemed a bit low on the phone calls. Played some videos/music to check out the Beats audio - not the best selection of music, so I couldn't say I was impressed one way or the other. Found a printer that was on WiFi in the print settings, so I opened one of the demo emails and printed it out, then asked one of the employees to help me find it. The reps there seemed interested in it, and seemed to be at least reasonably well trained on it. I played around with it enough to be pretty impressed. Still not sure I have any use for a tablet other than as a toy, but for someone buying a tablet, I have no problem recommending they consider the Touchpad.
    So... Went to a Walmart to play with a Touchpad yesterday. Demo didn't work, had some odd text scrolling on the screen. I couldn't reset it (though I think I know how now). Associate said they didn't know what to do, so it was just left alone, next to the functional Xoom and Acer. Haven't been able to find another Walmart that has one.

Just stopped into a Best Buy here today. Someone asked me if he could help me find anything, I asked about the HP Touchpad. He said ''The Ipad 2?''. I said it's made by HP, then he steered me over to computers (where I was headed). Someone else came up to me right as I reached the display. He asked me why I wanted to look at it. I said I wanted to try one and was really looking forward to it.

Then the sales guy (who I eventually realized worked for Clearwire) asked me if I had a Palm Pre. I said yeah. He went on to say it was a horrible phone and if I switched to Android I'd be happier. Then he continued by saying ''Want to try a real tablet? The Galaxy Tab is over here''.

I sort of ignored the man and picked up the Touchpad, completely dead. Tried the one on the opposite side of the display, totally dead. Then another Best Buy associate came around and told me the chargers are broken, or the devices themselves are just bad. Clearwire guy mentions it's just like the Palm Pre in this regard, always broken.

Finally, another associate comes around and says they just got an email from HP acknowledging that their demo-chargers are all bad and are sending replacements. So this display has two demo's, both dead. All the Veer's were dead too, the few that weren't dummy-phones.

Really? Reaally?!?!?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I haven't seen one in the Walmart or Sam's Club I normally visit.
    I just made my local rounds and Wal Mart didn't have any indication there was anything called a TP.

I went to Staples, and all their tablets are set up on endcaps, and there was one for the TP! I was excited. I walked to it, and they had lots of glossy cardboard pics and a sheet of paper said that the TP would be available July 17. I left bummed out.

One more stop... Office Depot. Yes! They had one up and running!! I was so excited to see it! They had plenty in stock too. They had 8 or 10 tickets each for the 16GB and 32GB version.

Overall it operated very smoothly. There was some major hangup with the screen lock app as noted in this video I shot. The other thing was, I didn't know they had implemented "tabs" for your launcher pages. That is super handy! Anyways, everything loaded speedily except for the screen lock which is bizarre.

It was really difficult to get a handle on how well it handles due to the honking security tether they use. Man it sucks.

I shut it down and restarted it, and timed it: It took 1 min 15 sec... which is MUCH better than my 3+ min reboot time for my Pre-!

I'm gonna wait and see how the coming software update increases the usability of the device and see if Quick Office comes and what other functionality is in the pipeline before I get one.

Anyways, check out the two minute video here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Nice. I stopped by the Best Buy Metro North
    I hit the one over by Zona Rosa. No table....at least yet. Maybe they are behind on their layouts. I found it interesting he said all the tablets would be together, I bet it is all the tablets except ones with fruit on the back.
    I was disappointed to open the Sunday paper this morning and see all of the advertising slicks, including the one from Best Buy that had nothing on the new HP TouchPad even though it's past the official release date at this point. Among the items that did make it were the Samsung Galaxy Tab and the new Asus SomethingOrOther. I really expected there to be more hype for the TouchPad. Oh well, I guess this is a marathon, not a sprint.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Went to Sam's Club: no TP display, only an IPAD 2 display. From there, went to Best Buy and waited for 10 minutes while a woman and her 5 year old played with the TP. Glad there is no Sesame Street app or I would have never seen it.

I was disappointed that no BB employees knew to demonstrate it (only spoke about 18 mos financing) but it did not appear that they were instructing on the Xoom or Ipad 2 displays. I also thought that the TP should have been hooked up to the internet so you could see what the app catalog contains.

Tried the TP as a bluetooth device for my Pre classic and it worked very well. Overall, good size and the TP responded quickly to motions and bringing up applications.
    I used to believe in HP
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I went over to my neighborhood Best Buy today to play with a Touchpad before buying one, it wasn't pretty.

The first BB I went to had a HP POS up with 2 Veers, one was supposed to have a live demo unit, but it wasn't working. Under the Point of Sale were boxes of Touchpads, but no demo unit. A girl working that section asked me if I needed any help, I asked if they had any Demo touchpads for me to use, her response just killed me "Ummm...Touchpads? We have the Ipad2 over here."

Me: No. An HP Touchpad. Do you have any HP Touchpads that are live? A demo unit?"

Her: Which tablet are you looking for? We have a lot of tablets?

Me: "The Touchpad is the name of a tablet made by HP. It just got released over the weekend."

I then walked her over to the HP Point of sale and showed her the boxes. She apologized and said they don't have any, but if I want to buy one and don't like it, I can return it.

There was another Best Buy 10 minutes away, so I drove to that one; they had 2 Touchpad Demo units, only one was working--they also had a demo Veer unit that wasn't working. I was shocked at how slow the Touchpad was, my Pre- was more responsive. After playing with it for a little while, another customer complained that the 2nd unit wasn't working and that other BB he had come from had 2 Demo's, both of which weren't working. The employee gave some nonsensical reply about how they are new tablets. I offered to let the customer use my unit. I think he reset it or something, because when I went back to playing with it after he left, it was so much quicker. The apps jumped open when I launched them, when, before hand, it took almost 30 seconds for the mail and photos apps to open.

On another note, I was suprised at how heavy the Touchpad was. It seemed to be almost twice the weight of the Ipad2, then I realized why: All the demo units are locked, but the Ipad2 has a tiny magnetic lock on it, maybe the size of 3 or 4 stacked dimes. The Touchpad on the other hand had this monster locking attachment. It was half the size of a baseball. I picked up one of the packaged touchpads, and it was lighter than the display unit.

I drove home feeling crushed and Touchpad-less. I love WebOS. I drove to the store to buy a unit, but if the experience I had today is indicative of what's going on around the country, the Touchpad is going to be a disaster.
    hp needs to send rep to stores.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    I think a lot of the confusion is the name. TouchPad... IPad.... They shouldve gone with something other than "something"pad.
    dont worry, that is definitely not going on accross the country. The best buys I have been to have functional displays and the employees know what it is and what it does. Some may not like the tablet, most likely due to their lack of webos knowledge, but they know what the tablet is. In fact, I went to best buy today and they said that the touchpad was selling better than every other tablet except iPad 2, and was right on par with the sales of the galaxy tab 10.1.

good news indeed. Plus, I cant even begin to tell you how much the HP endcap is helping. People go to the tablet and play with it, which is the point. People need to know that there is something out there other than ipad and android.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast