Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ggendel
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI..Link provided. I posted this b/c I was asked why I cherry pick only good reviews...I wasn't aware that I was actually...

Take care,

Jay

Why is it so hard to build a good tablet? Trying to do too much
    By James Kendrick | June 30, 2011, 12:03pm PDT

Why is it so hard to build a good tablet? Trying to do too much | ZDNet

The HP TouchPad launch into the marketplace has turned into an all too familiar scene. Months of hype after an official press event kicks things off, followed by a rash of critical product reviews detailing how the tablet falls shorts of consumer expectations. We saw the same cycle recently with the BlackBerry PlayBook launch, and earlier this year the same play was performed for the first Android Honeycomb tablet, the Motorola XOOM. All of these tablet launches demonstrate how hard it is for a company to build a good tablet ready for mainstream consumers. Why is it so hard? Everyone besides Apple is trying to do too much with their tablets.

I understand there are a lot of factors in determining if a new product is good at launch or not. I realize that price plays a big role in the success of any new product, tech-related or not. While it seems very simplistic, I believe that all of the tablets to hit the market so far, iPad excepted, are trying to do too much to bring value to the consumer. The opposite is actually the result as these tablets fail to deliver on the user experience that consumers demand. Good intentions deserve no accolades when execution fails in the tablet space.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    So it is an article against multitasking.

I wholeheartly disagree.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    So it is an article against multitasking.

I wholeheartly disagree.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Hi I agree with you...I think multitasking especially for enterprise users is the way to go...take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I like that the guy clearly thinks Apple is the only company that can make a tablet and the only proper way to make a tablet is apples way.

This just in, iPod is the ONLY portable media player.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Haaha. When did the differences in technology become such an epic battle? Like I can't be friends with someone who is apple, or who uses an android phone...or worse! Someone who still uses a dumbphone! Gasp!!!!!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Apple had all the time in the world to make their tablet since they didn't have to try to catch up with anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWLandfair View Post
    Haaha. When did the differences in technology become such an epic battle? Like I can't be friends with someone who is apple, or who uses an android phone...or worse! Someone who still uses a dumbphone! Gasp!!!!!

Okay I can get with you on everything but the dumb phone, even my mom and dad have full qwerty phones. jk

My mom has turned into an apple nerd, sadens me, lol. Had me trying to figure out her damn macbook a couple weeks back when I was setting up their network.

I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    822 Global Posts
    Try this on an iPad which I do often.

Start composing an email when another email come in requiring an immediate response. Both of these need cut and pasting from other documents (and/or the web). Now an IM chimes in putting these on hold. In iOS, this is clumsy at best. I typically have to switch between several active windows. This is trivial with cards and card clusters. In iOS, you have to keep saving the emails to drafts and then hunt through the task manager to find the right app. It's a much less productive way to do a common task.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    KAPS likes this.
    Wow, some reviewers have been fair but this one is all speculation.

"While the clever multitasking is cool to behold, it is likely the reason behind the poor performance of the TouchPad. It is another example of a tablet trying to do too much, and delivering an unpleasant user experience in the process. Kind of the “jack of all trades and master of none” approach.

If you doubt that these OSes do a lot of multitasking boot a tablet up cold and don’t run anything at all. Check the amount of memory in use by the OS and I guarantee you the dozens of background processes running all the time are using a lot of memory. "

Did he check the memory use? Did he confirm that it's the multitasking behind all the lags? Wow...
    Translation: "Hi. I wanted some money, so I decided to cash in by pandering to popular opinion. My coworkers ate it up, remarking that I was wise and insightful. Muahaha."

Yes, the multitasking is definitely why the TouchPad has stuttering performance. Even though it miraculously works just fine on smaller, lower-powered smartphones.

There's one of these in every group. The slightest thing goes wrong and they swoop in and declare that the entire foundation's flawed. Yeah, since that'll really help progress.

Couldn't possibly be the software just needing a few tweaks, no.