Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    I believe that HP released the TouchPad before it and it's services (like HP Play) were completely done because they were forced to. The Fan base here was roaring up in angry fans because they just weren't releasing anything. If they had kept it and finished it up and released it in August do you think anyone would be there to get it anymore? I believe they did a better thing by releasing it in July, even though it is not completely done. What is happening today? All the reviewers are giving it negative reviews because the TouchPad does not meet the written down paper requirements. Yet the users on here who read them are flipping a 180 and telling them that they are wrong and getting a TouchPad anyway. What would have happened on August 1st if they released it then? Better Reviews but plagued users who are tired of in the coming months and waiting, waiting, waiting.

At the end of July, we will probably be getting a TouchPad update that will include Document Editing, HP Play, and a fully GPU Accelerated WebOS 3.0. Meaning, a TouchPad that is fast, productive, and reliable. Then, when the TouchPad is at it fullest, they release the finished Pre3.

You thoughts...
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    This tablet "so I read" has been in the making for 7 months. I highly doubt 1 more month is going to make a difference. Updates are going to happen to any product.

My money is on they tried to pass the product off the way it was. And when the reviews came out about the lag. There like BUT WAIT, we have a update for that. I just don't see them developing webOS 3.0 from the ground up without thinking, well maybe we should make CSS graphics accelerated to begin with. Lets add it later on... We have been clamouring for Graphics Accelerated UI since webOS 1.x.

Has this update even been confirmed by Richard yet, IE; on his twitter? I thought its only rumor.
    So it's now fans fault that TouchPad is incomplete product? I really don't get it.
    They had countless processes in place for months in the retail channels etc. to have the Touchpad out by now hell or high water.

I guess the team just didn't work enough crunch time; that's the advantage of having your devs in places like China
    That would be the ideal scenario. There are a lot of things outstanding after launch that you propose. I just hope HP fulfills those gaps and make it right. It would be outstanding if the roadmap includes all you say in the timeline that you say. That would be a perfect fit for launching the Pre3 and the fulfilled solution. However, would we expect the similar missing items when the Pre3 is launched as we are seeing with the TouchPad?
    Rennat likes this.
    I had high hopes for the touchpad. Unfortunately this sounds a little to familar to me. Sounds just like the PRE launch...I was hoping with HP it would be different but If the update comes quickly I will have more faith and most likely jump on the touchpad(depending on the update) though I'm mostly waiting for two things RDP and Document editing.
    It's deja vu. Despite the long lead time between announcement and launch, the device was released not even close to finished. With webOS' low market share they really did need this thing to be great at launch. There's only so many chances the public will give it before they stop caring.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    they did the right thing in my opinion. of course there can be plenty of improvements to be made. but u can say the same about ios4 and ios5.

at this point we can all agree that the TP is very usable and very stable. the apps will come and so will many improvements.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Rennat likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by spectre686 View Post
    I had high hopes for the touchpad. Unfortunately this sounds a little to familar to me. Sounds just like the PRE launch...I was hoping with HP it would be different but If the update comes quickly I will have more faith and most likely jump on the touchpad(depending on the update) though I'm mostly waiting for two things RDP and Document editing.
    I was (and sort of still am) feeling this exactly. But, after just spending some time with the device itself, I have to say I was blown away. It certainly had its slow moments but all-in-all the thing just plain performs. I was one of the people griping about the weight, but after using it I feel sort of foolish.

The question is, do I jump on board like I did with the Pre and wait for updates to fix the issues? The Pre certainly got better as time went on and more updates were released. And I definitely suspect the same thing will happen here. But, the Pre never got to the point where it was "right." Always had the hiccups, never got doc editting, never got flash and apps came but with no access to the hardware a ton of them never really panned out.

So I am trying to decide, do I want to get one now and "trust" HP or do I sit back and wait? Its an internal struggle.
    Rennat likes this.
    The Touchpad seems a tad rushed and that shows. I'm not exactly sure why things couldn't have been optimized/finished by now but it is what it is. Ultimately, it'll costs HP some sales and marketshare in an already uphill battle.

I hope updates come soon and with every bug fix possible because the longer they sit on things, the worse it'll be to try and recoup brand presence and try to court developers.
    I am, therefore I think
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    I was (and sort of still am) feeling this exactly. But, after just spending some time with the device itself, I have to say I was blown away. It certainly had its slow moments but all-in-all the thing just plain performs. I was one of the people griping about the weight, but after using it I feel sort of foolish.

The question is, do I jump on board like I did with the Pre and wait for updates to fix the issues? The Pre certainly got better as time went on and more updates were released. And I definitely suspect the same thing will happen here. But, the Pre never got to the point where it was "right." Always had the hiccups, never got doc editting, never got flash and apps came but with no access to the hardware a ton of them never really panned out.

So I am trying to decide, do I want to get one now and "trust" HP or do I sit back and wait? Its an internal struggle.
    The difference this time around is that the problem are plain and blunt. We know what the problems are and what causes them. They are big gapping hole that need filling. The simple question now is to set different ones on different priority. They are working on GPU accelerating the UI in WebOS 3.0. They have already done so with the Cards and see how smooth they are, just imagine the rest of the UI like that. Document Editing is really on it's way this time around, no games. And not only is flash already here but it preforms on the TouchPad better than almost any other tablet out there. As in it actually works with a good frame rate!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    I'm enjoying my touchpad quite a bit. I have a few issues with the way it syncs music,but other than that its ok. I also dont like the beats audio. I have to put the volume twice as high in my stereo to match the volume of my music coming from a motorola xoom. I dont see the deal here. I thought beats audio was going to be great.
    Has anyone heard of someone buying one and returning it because it's "unfinished"? I haven't. There probably are some, but the overwhelming reactions from purchasers are that They like it. Several hundred dollars worth.
    No matter WHEN the TP was released and no matter WHAT apps and updates were installed, you are always going to get the "it ain't finished" "there should be more" crowd. Some people, my wife for example, always point out the negative of everything.

ET
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    I'm enjoying my touchpad quite a bit. I have a few issues with the way it syncs music,but other than that its ok. I also dont like the beats audio. I have to put the volume twice as high in my stereo to match the volume of my music coming from a motorola xoom. I dont see the deal here. I thought beats audio was going to be great.
    That part - audio department is my biggest concern, and one of reasons why I went from webOS to Android. It looks like audio is not in HP's focus at all, but also not in HB spotlight too. So, without official or unofficial development, audio department of webOS is pretty underdeveloped since initial 2009 release. I don't remember any webosdoctor improving sound quality. We still do not have EQ settings even on new devices as Veer or TouchPad, or some HB attempt in that field.
    As GalaxyS owner, I have decent generic music player app with EQ settings, paired with so called voodoo sound app which installs advanced sound drivers that unlocks capabilities of sound chip, offering digital amplifier (not just plain gain pumping and sound distortion).
    This is one of reasons why I'm mad at HP. You know, that is not some uncrossable barrier which needs huge efforts to be overcome. It needs only portion of good will and basic common sense to know how audio reproduction is important for multimedia consumer.
    To get the full impact of Beats audio you'll need some high end headphones. Beats is software and the hardware in the headphone jack. You're not going to get that "boom boom pow" from the tiny speakers on the TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    No matter WHEN the TP was released and no matter WHAT apps and updates were installed, you are always going to get the "it ain't finished" "there should be more" crowd. Some people, my wife for example, always point out the negative of everything.

ET
    I hope your wife doesn't read this forum :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Some people, my wife for example, always point out the negative of everything.ET
    God, same here. We have same model.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    The beats audio is giving you better quality sound, not louder sound. Get some nice earphones and you'll can tell it's better right off the bat.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    That part - audio department is my biggest concern, and one of reasons why I went from webOS to Android. It looks like audio is not in HP's focus at all, but also not in HB spotlight too. So, without official or unofficial development, audio department of webOS is pretty underdeveloped since initial 2009 release. I don't remember any webosdoctor improving sound quality. We still do not have EQ settings even on new devices as Veer or TouchPad, or some HB attempt in that field.
    I find that the sound quality is quite good. TP uses a WM8994 codec which has a built-in 5-band EQ and speaker compensation. We just need an app or patch that allows adjustment. Support for these things is in the current kernel driver.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast