Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Typo Lad
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I mounted my TouchPad last night as a USB drive and created two folders at the root, Music and Videos. I copied a couple MP3 albums to Music and a Tron AVI to Videos. When I launch the music player, the TouchPad sees the songs, but I haven't been able to see the movie in the "Pictures and Videos" app.

Am I doing it wrong? Or is this file format unsupported? I did a quick search for file browsers in the market and came up empty.
    It needs to be h.264 / mp4 video files. A .mov file seems to work too.
    I created a Music folder also and put some MP3 into it. My TP does not see any music. These same songs work fine on my Pre-.

Also put some videos on TP and can't find them either.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    It needs to be h.264 / mp4 video files. A .mov file seems to work too.
    Ugh, really? I guess I just assumed that the Touchpad would support the same formats as the Droid machines. A quick search of the app store didn't give me much, is there any way to play movies on the TP without resorting to iDevice formats?
    Get Handbrake and use the iPad function for all of your DVD's & Video files. It will make it the correct format and screen size for the Touchpad & if you have a 64-bit system it will do this fairly quickly.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Thanks, I do use handbrake for a lot of different stuff. But, my HTC Evo plays DVD avi rips just fine with the default player. Granted, these are 480p and I haven't tried any 720p stuff yet, but right now I have two complaints:

(Curmudgeon mode on, you guys are gonna see a lot more of these as the days go by. I know what I like and I'm hard to please)

1) I haven't found an app yet that lets me browse the TouchPad's filesystem on the TouchPad. Does such an app (or built-in functionality) exist?

2) There are no video players in the market? Like, at all? This makes me sad. It would be nice to see something that can play my AVIs, MKVs etc. I understand that the real acceleration would probably come from H.264 MP4s, but still, it would be nice to have the option to muck around with.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkEye View Post
    I created a Music folder also and put some MP3 into it. My TP does not see any music. These same songs work fine on my Pre-. Also put some videos on TP and can't find them either.
    Same problem and no go for me except music that was copied over via HP Play interface in Beta and used this afternoon.

I tried creating a folder for Video and copied over a large file, but my system doesn't see it and it should be in the correct format.

Would love me info if anyone has any? Sorli...
    I have my videos in .mp4 & .avi because thats what works on my Pre+. I really dont want to convert them all to .mp4...
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I got quite a few movies/videos in rmvb format... is it possible to have it play? i suppose missing codec is the problem
    Quote Originally Posted by JerkyChew View Post
    Thanks, I do use handbrake for a lot of different stuff. But, my HTC Evo plays DVD avi rips just fine with the default player. Granted, these are 480p and I haven't tried any 720p stuff yet, but right now I have two complaints:

(Curmudgeon mode on, you guys are gonna see a lot more of these as the days go by. I know what I like and I'm hard to please)

1) I haven't found an app yet that lets me browse the TouchPad's filesystem on the TouchPad. Does such an app (or built-in functionality) exist?

2) There are no video players in the market? Like, at all? This makes me sad. It would be nice to see something that can play my AVIs, MKVs etc. I understand that the real acceleration would probably come from H.264 MP4s, but still, it would be nice to have the option to muck around with.
    Kaleemsoft Media Player will play your other formats, allegedly. It's a $8 app, but to me it's worth not sitting there re-encoding.
    kkhanmd and mikeyvt1 like this.
    Gemini File Manager in the App Catalog will let you browse your file directories on your Touchpad. Internalz Pro in the Homebrew feeds lets you do this too.

The Kalemsoft Media Player supports many codecs and containers and works like a charm. It doesnt convert them, but plays them directly. The app also supports media playing from a host computer through the use of a server program that the developer has available on their website. The only thing I dislike about the app is that you can't assign it to automatically play everyvideo file instead of the stock player.
    The other thing about Kalemsoft is that if you had 720p files, it won't play them. So if you store stuff in HD, then it's no use. Even HD .mp4 files which play perfectly in the stock video player are slow in Kalemsoft's player, so I guess it's a hardware acceleration not being available thing.

But if you're not concerned in anything more than SD, Kalemsoft is great.
    Also UPnP will stream native supported media as well as built in WiFi transfer of pictures/video/audio. There are several threads about missing mp3's, one solution was to pull the plug on your TouchPad while in USB mode, it would scream "Ouch, that hurts!!!" and then you'd be able to find your media.

UPnP is pretty much the only way I transfer my music now.

Cheap too, $2-3.